Game Day AFL National Draft night #1 - Currently hold pick 16. Monday November 28th. Coverage @ 7pm via Fox Footy, Kayo + AFL App

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there room for sentiment in football still and is it getting in the way of a Davey bid?

Father son, indigenous and a twin whose brother will join Essendon also after overcoming multiple knee injuries. That's a triple whammy of the warm and fuzzies.

He'd still get to Essendon anyway I know but it's bizarre to me no one has bid and are giving Essendon a free ride when he was rated by most as an end of 1st round talent.

Stuff sentiment. Make them pay a price!

Is there room for sentiment in football still and is it getting in the way of a Davey bid?

Father son, indigenous and a twin whose brother will join Essendon also after overcoming multiple knee injuries. That's a triple whammy of the warm and fuzzies.

He'd still get to Essendon anyway I know but it's bizarre to me no one has bid and are giving Essendon a free ride when he was rated by most as an end of 1st round talent.

It goes to show how lucky we have been with Daicos last year--pick 4 ended up allowing us to do other things on the night and nab Draper.
Then everybody passing up on Reef before our first live pick 2 years ago---which would have swallowed us up whole like GWs last might.

Even though I believe Barnett will be gone by our pick, even if he’s there I think we’d be better off going for other players and then taking someone like Verrall later on

My old man used to do work for ASIO (actually true). Might give him a buzz and see what intel they have 😂.
So he likes Harvey Barnett too.

Not really, I wouldn't say we're up to the point where he's rated.

I think the general consensus in the media and BigFooty was that teams would make them pay up before their pick, because they know they'll match, but he hasn't slipped past his ranking just yet.

Not really, I wouldn't say we're up to the point where he's rated.

I think the general consensus in the media and BigFooty was that teams would make them pay up before their pick, because they know they'll match, but he hasn't slipped past his ranking just yet.

I tipped the Bulldogs weeks ago to hate bid on Fletcher yet I don't recall seeing any paid media scribes picking up on that when it came to there phantom drafts (though in fairness some did have a bid coming from Carlton).

While Davey is a different proposition someone like Twomey still rated Davey as the 19th best player in his last form guide and yet doesn't expect a bid to come before Essendons next selection at 25. While he may well have read the room right my original argument is that we are up to the point in the draft where he's rated and yet all the scribes seem to think a bid wont come within the first 3 selections tonight. I hope they're wrong again.

Anyway it is what it is but it annoys me that a team I hate will likely be given a leg up, take a player off the board we might have desired, when sides (including us) should have taken the lead from Sydney and forced their hand when we got within his draft range.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is reassuring after the Henry debacle:

I feel a little bit dirty saying it, but it is gratifying to hear an “outsider” say we’re as stable a club as there is going around at the moment.

Considering the extent of the changes we’ve been through recently; nearly the entire board, the president, entire coaching staff, fitness and conditioning staff, we’re currently without a CEO… it’s a pretty amazing achievement to be deep into finals and seen as a stable environment.

I feel a little bit dirty saying it, but it is gratifying to hear an “outsider” say we’re as stable a club as there is going around at the moment.

Considering the extent of the changes we’ve been through recently; nearly the entire board, the president, entire coaching staff, fitness and conditioning staff, we’re currently without a CEO… it’s a pretty amazing achievement to be deep into finals and seen as a stable environment.
And after only 1 year of significant change

If anything we are seeing (again) how poor our trade of our future first was in 2020.

We traded effective pick 2 for pick 30 and 31 roughly (both of whom we delisted after the minimum time of two years). We have seen that Essendon had offers of two mid range first rounders and a future second for their pick 4 from yesterday, and they knocked it back.

If we had have worked that trade properly, we should have had Finn Callaghan or a couple more sub 16ish picks last night (e.g. a Busslinger and Weddle for example).

Funny you should mention them...

W's Day has us taking Prince Harry; Prince Andrew to Carlton.
C’mon everyone knew Andrew was Carltank-bound, that’s hardly news. Do they even have real sources?

I hear we’re going to bid on Meghan…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back