Game Day AFL National Draft Night #2 - Tuesday November 29th. Coverage @ 7pm. Fox Footy, Kayo or AFL App/Website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mihocek and Johnson are definitely key forwards. They get their goals from marks. They're the same height as Curnow, Riewoldt, Darling etc. And they certainly play more like those key forwards than a medium forward like JDG who gets his goals bursting from stoppages/midfield or a small forward like Ginnivan crumbing the forwardline contests. How can you classify them as anything other than key forwards?

At least in Mihochek’s case, he has consistently struggled against decent bigger key position defenders one on one.

Whereas Curnow, Darling, and Riewoldt have the ability to contest in multiple ways. In particular in contested marking battles of strength.

Something I also can’t ever see Johnson having as a pure lead up forward, (with surprisingly poor agility).

At least in Mihochek’s case, he has consistently struggled against decent bigger key position defenders one on one.

Whereas Curnow, Darling, and Riewoldt have the ability to contest in multiple ways. In particular in contested marking battles of strength.

Something I also can’t ever see Johnson having as a pure lead up forward, (with surprisingly poor agility).
His agility is fine. It's not easy to come back from a hamstring off the bone, miss multiple weeks and still be as agile or athletic as you could be. I think Johnson will rip it up next year with a good pre season. He's much more than a lead up forward. with extra height in the forward line and super quick ball movement, he'll be standing on peoples heads

Ash is not a bad prospect as a mobile key forward option, but he will need to massively improve his fitness to allow him to lead repeatedly.

He is quick enough to beat you on the lead.
He can also leap from behind or in a pack and take contested marks.

He is, however, unlikely to be able to beat you at ground level, and he can’t stand shoulder to shoulder and outmuscle you.

2/4 ain’t bad for an MSD pick, and beggars can’t be choosers.

And there-in probably lies the difference in why Mihocek and Johnson were rookie picks vs Curnow/Riewoldt etc being high end first rounders. That talent ceiling is always going to be there if we get a KPF with a late pick. So why is everyone up in arms we didn't get another pick 50 forward with similar deficiencies?

We should absolutely try invest in a gun key forward with a top 10 pick. The issue is that we haven't finished low enough consistently to get many top end first rounders.

With their list, it seems unlikely.

But Voss gives us hope.
I've always felt Vossy is a less than average coach.
Carlton have an awesome list and he can't motivate them.

I can tell by hearing him speak and his clown face.
He'd make a great Joker in a batman movie.

We’ll have to disagree. As will the Saints and Blues.

It’s not like they went undrafted.
No but they were final picks. They had other players obviously ranked well ahead of them.
It's not as if Lemmey was an unknown. He would have had just about every club watching and assessing him each week given he was spoken about as a potential top 5 pick and maybe the best key forward in the draft. For him to be dropped like that well before the draft indicates to me that there were a number of real concerns about him. I think a more speculative pick with a higher ceiling is a player that may be under-researched or improving late in the season.

Keeler is a little more fascinating because it comes across that maybe the issue is more his attitude. If he gets that right, he may well turn out to be a steal.

But who knows? I may well be wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke to
His agility is fine. It's not easy to come back from a hamstring off the bone, miss multiple weeks and still be as agile or athletic as you could be. I think Johnson will rip it up next year with a good pre season. He's much more than a lead up forward. with extra height in the forward line and super quick ball movement, he'll be standing on peoples head
Spoke to one of the players last week and I asked if Leon and Kraks being around the club will help AJ a bit and he said yeah but also the inclusion of Hill and Krugs will add to that feeling at ease a bit more too.

No Yuyu Ashwin.

PRE-LISTED ROOKIE SELECTIONS

Lloyd Johnston (Gold Coast) – Northern Academy
Nick Madden (GWS) – Northern Academy
Will Edwards (Sydney) – Northern Academy
Anthony Munkara (Essendon) – NGA
Joshua Draper (Fremantle) – NGA
Conrad Williams (Fremantle) – NGA
Joshua Bennetts (Hawthorn) – NGA
Ted Clohesy (Geelong) – NGA
Nathan Barkla (Port Adelaide) – NGA
Angus McLennan (St Kilda) – NGA
Jordyn Baker (West Coast) – NGA
Tyrell Dewar (West Coast) – NGA
Shadeau Brain (Brisbane) – QLD zone
Jason Gillbee (GWS) – NSW zone
Osca Riccardi (Geelong) – father-son

No Yuyu Ashwin.

Nope, and we aren't afraid not to take our NGA players. He probably needs to get better at his game. He can do that and apply for the MSD

No Yuyu Ashwin.

We must not rate Ashwin then

having watched ashwin play in the vfl for us I didn’t expect us to pick him up. I thought dib had more talent and we passed on him

It’s a farce
Needs major overhaul

Could fix it all by ending rookie list (except CAT B)

And have every player picked from the 4th rd onwards subject to a 1 year deal

Then would just have the
  • Nov draft
  • mid season draft

and the current ability to rookie someone who trains with the club over summer

No need for senior and rookie lists… just further complicates the hell out of everything

Remove this Banner Ad

Back