Game Day AFL National Draft Night #2 - Tuesday November 29th. Coverage @ 7pm. Fox Footy, Kayo or AFL App/Website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Man, I can remember the meltdown when the pies didn't pick up Callow, all because he kicked 3.7 in the SANFL. :laughing:

Lemmey/Keeler are the new Callow who was the new Riccardi.

I wonder at what point we realise that any KPF picked after the top 15 isn't likely to be much better than some mature aged tall we pick up in the rookie draft or trade for cheaply.

Pp
I didn't think we could go in with only 35 senior listed players? Isn't 36 the minimum?
Pre season and Rookie draft tomorrow. Perhaps we have our eyes on someone.
Not sure how it works to be honest.

collingwood.jpg

WHO THEY PICKED

AFL Draft

19. Ed Allan
28. Jakob Ryan
48. Joe Richards

What the club says:

"He (Ryan) was close (to being taken on Monday night), until Ed was there. He was one of three or four players that were there and we were really confident, we went into today with about six or seven players. We were hopeful, we weren't confident, but it was really pleasing. He plays that sort of Nick Haynes-type role, there was a lot of interest in that pick which would suggest there was a lot of interest in Jakob." - Collingwood national recruiting manager Derek Hine

Yeah we do.

We are the only club in the comp who isn’t willing to take a punt on speculative key forwards.

It’s friggin infuriating.

Really? I'd have thought the opposite is more true....

2021 - trade for Kreuger
2020 - draft McMahon, Johnson, Begg
2019 - trade for Cameron
2018 - draft Kelly, list Wilson, Keane & Tohill
2017 - draft Mihocek
2016 - draft McLarty

Pretty good few nights really. Picking someone at 19 with a high ceiling and some uncertainty generates the excitment. Jakob and Richards are safer picks and maybe not great needs but if one of them can become a player its a good outcome. We have filled in a little more of the hole in the list for the early 20s age group.

Yes we lack talls generally especially a ruck and younger developing KP players. Hopefully can address next year. We have one star tall Moore, some solid mature talls Miho and McStay, a few youger hopefuls Kreuger Dean Johnson and a few that will struggle to impact Frampton Begg Kelly.

Rucks we have no ruck who has played a full season as the main ruck, a curious position. We really need a mature ruck back up as Cameron and Cox are stll unknown as fulltime rucks.

Overall list is in a strong place and been a good not great trade and draft period. Pretty intriguing season ahead with reasons we can go ahead or fall back in a bit of a battle. Reckon Mitchell will turn out to be the .ost significant pick up short term. Hopefully Allen long term

Love the draft. We had 3 picks and took 3 players yet everyone wanted us to take 242 players. Grow up. I enjoy the melts. Especially the ones of the regular posters. You know who you are
It's a forum with everyone's opinions. What melts exactly?
Perhaps you need to grow up.
You know who you are !!!

I dont care when you do or dont post.
The melts on here because we didnt take a key forward or back are hilarious.

I’d suggest internally the club rates dean higher than any of the potential KPD available, and he’s basically a new recruit for us. Regarding KPP, I want one as much as anyone, but even the speculative keeler was gone by our pick, so it’s a mute argument. Likewise Lemmey and scully. Odds are none make it. Would we have taken one instead of Richard’s? Keeler maybe, who knows?

But unless through trade or a top 10 pick, we aren’t getting a quality KPF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me guess, you haven’t played CHF?

Lemmey/Keeler are the new Callow who was the new Riccardi.

I wonder at what point we realise that any KPF picked after the top 15 isn't likely to be much better than some mature aged tall we pick up in the rookie draft or trade for cheaply.

You can pick the eyes out of every draft of players who are not kpp that also don't make it.

Pick a late mid or flanker or small fwd/defender and the attitude is who cares they rarely make it.
But suggest to pick up a kpp after 15 and its supposedly a wasted pick.

We must have between 36-38 primary and 4-6 rookie list players on our list. We can also have two category B.

So where do we currently stand if Noble is upgraded and Murley is redrafted to the rookie list.

Are we full?

Really? I'd have thought the opposite is more true....

2021 - trade for Kreuger
2020 - draft McMahon, Johnson, Begg
2019 - trade for Cameron
2018 - draft Kelly, list Wilson, Keane & Tohill
2017 - draft Mihocek
2016 - draft McLarty

Most of those guys were actually recruited into the club as key backs ie, McLarty, Mihochek, Keane and Kelly. Some aren’t even keys, ie Wilson and Johnson.

The fact that we targeted guys like Krueger and Cameron via trade after fairly ordinary exposed form, rather than take a punt on speculative high ceiling key forwards in this (& previous drafts), only serves to illustrate the problem IMO.

We must have between 36-38 primary and 4-6 rookie list players on our list. We can also have two category B.

So where do we currently stand if Noble is upgraded and Murley is redrafted to the rookie list.

Are we full?
Think we are one short. So Ginnivan likely promoted to primary list and we then have a Cat A and Cat B rookie spot to be filled.

Most of those guys were actually recruited into the club as key backs ie, McLarty, Mihochek, Keane and Kelly. Some aren’t even keys, ie Wilson and Johnson.

The fact that we targeted guys like Krueger and Cameron via trade after fairly ordinary exposed form, rather than take a punt on speculative high ceiling key forwards in this (& previous drafts), only serves to illustrate the problem IMO.
which was high ceiling key forward was available in this draft?

I don't know much about Richards. But it seems Allen fell into our lay (which I'm wrapped about), and Jakob is obviously a player we liked alot if we were going to use our first selection on him on him until Allen was still available. So, they club got the player they wanted and a massive bonus.

In terms of Richards, can't say I know much about him. But we seem to have a really good record bringing in these 'mature' recruits who have obviously worked hard to earn it. Now he gets to be a professional footballer which should see him improve even further.

No doubt a key forward would have been handy and Keeler would have been the only one I would have taken a punt on after the 1st 2 rounds. Maybe we would have taken him if the Saints didn't grab him at 44?

Sure we had pick 30, but to swap that for a pick about the same position in what is talked up as being one of the strongest, deep drafts in 2023 may be fine, considering how weak this draft was.

The fact is, the probability of finding a top player outside the 1st round is low. In a seemingly weak draft, I doubt we will regret much.

Maybe we rookie a KF that no-one has heard of. Probably a better speculative pick than a KF who has been exposed, monitored and assessed all season and clubs decided they weren't really interested in them.

It's a forum with everyone's opinions. What melts exactly?
Perhaps you need to grow up.
You know who you are !!!

Well I have 33k irregular posts, so you must be referring to someone else…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back