Game Day AFL National Draft Night #2 - Tuesday November 29th. Coverage @ 7pm. Fox Footy, Kayo or AFL App/Website.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh, we did elevate Ginni in the end. Interesting. I wonder if they have their eyes on someone
Pretty sure once we passed on our final pick in the ND we had no choice but to elevate Ginni in order to fulfil our minimum primary list requirements.

Pretty sure once we passed on our final pick in the ND we had no choice but to elevate Ginni in order to fulfil our minimum primary list requirements.
Ginni deserves elevation in any case.
When you consider what he's achieved so far, he'll hopefully use it as a launching pad for greatness.
Re drafting Murley was a given, and I think Wilson showed enough before his back injury to suggest he could turn into a good player.

When you consider what he's achieved so far, he'll hopefully use it as a launching pad for greatness.
Re drafting Murley was a given, and I think Wilson showed enough before his back injury to suggest he could turn into a good player.
Love Ginni but give Wilson an almost zero chance. He and Begg gonski next year..

Missed the rookie draft. Assuming we took Murley and then passed so we have an open SSP?
Did we end up preselecting Ashwin as a cat B NGA player?
No doubt you have caught up now. Yes, Ginnivan elevated to senior list so we have 36 spots. Murley now a Cat A. We have a vacant Cat A spot and it wouldn't surprise me if we just hold it until the MSD rather than use it on the SSP.

Ashwin was not taken so we still have one vacant Cat B spot.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s a farce
Needs major overhaul
They just need to get rid of the separate rookie list. Just make it a list of 42. No idea why they give the salary cap incentive to have 6 on the rookie list. They could make the fifth round and beyond of the draft a one year contract rounds if they want to get some different types taken.

No doubt you have caught up now. Yes, Ginnivan elevated to senior list so we have 36 spots. Murley now a Cat A. We have a vacant Cat A spot and it wouldn't surprise me if we just hold it until the MSD rather than use it on the SSP.
Forgive my ignorance; we have a vacant Cat A spot… but the SSP is for players to be directly senior-listed… yes?

EDIT: Nope, I’m wrong, both the SSP and MSrD are to add players as rookies. The difference is that one is directly adding players, the other you have to wait your turn in a draft (of sorts).

AFL confirms rookie rules for SSP, Mid-Season Draft

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once again we have re-drafted a player - Cooper Murley - who with his height & weight will never make it in the AFL. Now all of my mates - both Collingwood & non-Collingwood - are amazed by the recruiting team's all most fundamentalist aversion to taking a punt on at TALL & EXPERIMENTAL young player even at the back-end of the draft as was the case with Carlton & Harry Lemmey. I just do not see what the strategy is? Wait until we finish in the bottom 3 & then go for a young forward. Even earlier today, Dane Swan said the most important players on the ground are key forwards. I reckon that our rubber deficiency in this area will once again hit the road - against us - when the big games take place in 2023.
I have no issues with any individual picks taken. Allan, Ryan and Richards all look likely, have AFL traits that fit our playing style and have upside.

Having said that I reckon our recruiting team needs to have their heads read about not picking up a KPP. Are we consigned to never developing our own? I've given up hope that we'll even try and its frustrating.

In before the "but if we didn't rate any..." I believe there will prove to be an AFL standard KPP from somewhere in this draft that was available at our picks. The job is to identify them. We never do.
I totally agree with your very good post. We seem to have this ingrained aversion to taking a punt on a young Key Forward. But if it is a mid-fielder or a half-back flanker or a back pocket or a utility, then there are never any 2nd thoughts. Personally I hope that the young kid Lemmey who Carlton took a punt on with a late selection & Keeler who St Kilda chose also with a relatively late selection both go well & prove the neer sayers on this site to go & take a good hard look at themselves.

Most astute.
But we do not have any on the list below the age of 22! I mean even Ash Johnson - who is not a big hulking few forward - will be approximately 25 soon, if not already while McStay is 27 & Mihocek is approaching if not already in his 30's. So we are not carrying any! Your argument is flawed.

Once again we have re-drafted a player - Cooper Murley - who with his height & weight will never make it in the AFL. Now all of my mates - both Collingwood & non-Collingwood - are amazed by the recruiting team's all most fundamentalist aversion to taking a punt on at TALL & EXPERIMENTAL young player even at the back-end of the draft as was the case with Carlton & Harry Lemmey. I just do not see what the strategy is? Wait until we finish in the bottom 3 & then go for a young forward. Even earlier today, Dane Swan said the most important players on the ground are key forwards. I reckon that our rubber deficiency in this area will once again hit the road - against us - when the big games take place in 2023.

I totally agree with your very good post. We seem to have this ingrained aversion to taking a punt on a young Key Forward. But if it is a mid-fielder or a half-back flanker or a back pocket or a utility, then there are never any 2nd thoughts. Personally I hope that the young kid Lemmey who Carlton took a punt on with a late selection & Keeler who St Kilda chose also with a relatively late selection both go well & prove the neer sayers on this site to go & take a good hard look at themselves.
hes in the fast small richmond mould which is our gameplan
chill out

I see Melbourne took Will Verrall as a rookie.

Not sure who our best option as a backup ruckman would be.
Upset me no end that did, I do not think we have a backup ruck option and we seem very loathe to find one. I know we are being told all the time we have these tall options but the reason they are just options is because they are too small or not good enough.

He’s as tall as Elliott and Josh Daicos, taller than Bobby Hill.
Draft profiles:

Josh Daicos - 178cm 68kg

Cooper Murley - 178cm 70kg

He’S tOo ShOrT aNd LiGhT tO mAkE iT

Love Ginni but give Wilson an almost zero chance. He and Begg gonski next year..

agree, i like Beggs enthusiasm, but if he cant start clunking marks around the ground or develop into a key back, his time may be limited. Wilson shows a little bit, but nothing to say he would be in our first selected side, so time is ticking for him too.

Draft profiles:

Josh Daicos - 178cm 68kg

Cooper Murley - 178cm 70kg

He’S tOo ShOrT aNd LiGhT tO mAkE iT

Murley started the year off ok, but wilted away by the end of the it. have to remember he missed a lot of the previous year due to injury. has speed, nice skills, just needs to find it a bit more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back