Dale Thomas megathread (very bumped, see post #1072)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont feel sorry for Daisy this is the same bloke who undermined Buckley and walked around the club and whistled the Blues song

* him never should be welcomed back to the club he is a Carlton man now and forever

I think everyone in footy, except Carlton (who wanted to stick it up Collingwood), knew he was cooked. Mick just got him because he wanted to stick it up Collingwood.

Yep took the coaching role and Daisy all for the wrong reasons

We got pick 11 which was traded to west coast for pick 6 which netted scharenberg. So we are yet to reap the fruits of that deal other than the salary cap we save
Judging by the way Daisy is playing, I think the salary cap space we have gained is enough to win the deal.

Judging by the way Daisy is playing, I think the salary cap space we have gained is enough to win the deal.
Yeah, he's pretty much a nothing player now. He's lost so much pace, yet doesn't have the physique to compete in marking contests, etc. Pendlebury ragdolled him like he was a hamster. I don't feel bad for him, because he's still living the dream and being paid handsomely to do (or not do) it!

It's just another one of those things that have turned out very well for Collingwood lately. :)

Yep took the coaching role and Daisy all for the wrong reasons

Except I don't think anyone would've predicted Daisy was this cooked. He had had a medium term injury and was yet to return, but there wasn't really any indications that Daisy wasn't gonna get back to being a very good player. Now he wasn't worth the (reported) 700k that Carlton were offering, but if they offered 500k then I reckon we would've matched it. (he was a restricted FA from memory)... unless we were that keen on getting the draft pick or on getting rid of him. IMO that is all it came down to - they wanted him, and overpaid to get him as a RFA: it's the way free agency works.
---

on a more important note: how old is your signature?
Amare > Dirk... nevaaaaa :D

Except I don't think anyone would've predicted Daisy was this cooked. He had had a medium term injury and was yet to return, but there wasn't really any indications that Daisy wasn't gonna get back to being a very good player. Now he wasn't worth the (reported) 700k that Carlton were offering, but if they offered 500k then I reckon we would've matched it. (he was a restricted FA from memory)... unless we were that keen on getting the draft pick or on getting rid of him. IMO that is all it came down to - they wanted him, and overpaid to get him as a RFA: it's the way free agency works.
---

on a more important note: how old is your signature?
Amare > Dirk... nevaaaaa :D

Last Sunday put it up I lost the Atlanta vs Washington series bet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Mick said last night that Daisy will need shoulder surgery at the end of the season. Another interuppted preseason coming up. Not that shoulder surgery seems to have impacted Pendles too much
The smart thing to do would be to have Dale get the surgery now, try and get his body properly right for the preseason, and have him 100% fit and trying hard to make an impact next year.

Won't happen though, and even if that's the course of action they did take, he'd just end up going surfing instead of doing his rehab properly.

From a pure football watchers perspective, it's a damn shame that Dale didn't take his rehab seriously when he initially did his ankle. He may have made a full recovery if he had. As it is now, he has nobody to blame for his decline but himself.

I think Mick said last night that Daisy will need shoulder surgery at the end of the season. Another interuppted preseason coming up. Not that shoulder surgery seems to have impacted Pendles too much

Well, he may or may not.

Mick was like a drowning man last night, clutching at whatever excuses he could lay his hands on.

Kruezer on Hawkins if he'd have been fit? Really?

Geez, you blokes hold on to a lot of negative baggage.
I don't have the energy to hold a grudge, especially for two years plus.

You guys made out like bandits in hindsight. He's simply not fit enough, or accountable enough, and has been exposed in a list that is nowhere near as talented as the one he won a flag with.

I just thought this thread needed a quick bump, if for no other reason but to record how things ended up down the track.

From the Blues board...
Glorious!!!!

You guys made out like bandits in hindsight. He's simply not fit enough, or accountable enough, and has been exposed in a list that is nowhere near as talented as the one he won a flag with.
That's the thing though. Everyone here knew he was going to be a shadow of the player he once was, and so did the Collingwood hierarchy, hence their offer of a performance based contract.

Even without the Collingwood list, if he had been fit and firing when you got him he would have made an incredible addition to your list. In 2011 he was one of, if not the best gut runner in the game, he was accountable, and he played an exciting brand of football. Unfortunately for your mob, Mick was so blinded by his affection for Dale that he couldn't see the guy was simply not worth shelling out big $$ for as a free agent.

Last edited:
I guess the bigger issue for Dale is that he knows he will never again play in a Grand Final
The players he left, however, would all be expecting to play in one in the next 5 years

That's the thing though. Everyone here knew he was going to be a shadow of the player he once was, and so did the Collingwood hierarchy, hence their offer of a performance based contract.
Happens with most trades. You know your own better than opposition players (more often than not).

I recall supporters from Collingwood talking of how they would turn Russell around, and same for the Q-stick. Obviously with Thomas the stakes were much higher, and we've definitely been the loser in that deal. He needs to get his shoulder surgery done, and needs to really improve his fitness - I'd be playing him in the VFL. He'll probably wanna quit the club when we sack Malthouse this week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back