Dale Thomas megathread (very bumped, see post #1072)

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope your at least going to send him off with a big BBQ or something.
He can have a couple of the microwaved memberships going around I reckon.

You know you're going terribly when you're finding more joy out of taking the piss out of your own club than actually watching the game.

Beams is still a gun though.
Agreed. But their supporters were constantly saying how they were a supreme team to us and how they were bound for finals this year. Quite hilarious actually.

He can have a couple of the microwaved memberships going around I reckon.

You know you're going terribly when you're finding more joy out of taking the piss out of your own club than actually watching the game.
If we have learned anything over these past couple of years, it's that Carlton fans prefer a BBQ to a microwave...

Happens with most trades. You know your own better than opposition players (more often than not).

I recall supporters from Collingwood talking of how they would turn Russell around, and same for the Q-stick. Obviously with Thomas the stakes were much higher, and we've definitely been the loser in that deal. He needs to get his shoulder surgery done, and needs to really improve his fitness - I'd be playing him in the VFL. He'll probably wanna quit the club when we sack Malthouse this week.

You come across as a decent supporter. And I'm impressed you would even venture into this thread at a time like this. Kudos. I almost feel bad rubbing your face in it during such dark times. But as you must understand, the smug hubris from the Carlton board when you first brought in Malthouse & poached Daisy still sticks in the craw of many. So we can't help but enjoy this reversal of fortunes.

You come across as a decent supporter. And I'm impressed you would even venture into this thread at a time like this. Kudos. I almost feel bad rubbing your face in it during such dark times. But as you must understand, the smug hubris from the Carlton board when you first brought in Malthouse & poached Daisy still sticks in the craw of many. So we can't help but enjoy this reversal of fortunes.
I'm sure we would have a thread like this for Eddie Betts if he seemed like a turncoat and was performing crap at another club......however neither of those things are true, so what can you do.

Were at an extreme low point right now, and its past the point of frustration and disappointment. The only thing you can do is laugh.

Except I don't think anyone would've predicted Daisy was this cooked. He had had a medium term injury and was yet to return, but there wasn't really any indications that Daisy wasn't gonna get back to being a very good player. Now he wasn't worth the (reported) 700k that Carlton were offering, but if they offered 500k then I reckon we would've matched it. (he was a restricted FA from memory)... unless we were that keen on getting the draft pick or on getting rid of him. IMO that is all it came down to - they wanted him, and overpaid to get him as a RFA: it's the way free agency works.
---

on a more important note: how old is your signature?
Amare > Dirk... nevaaaaa :D

There was plenty of talk about the place that his injury was serious enough to potentially warrant early retirement. The thing with ankles is, in my experience once you've done them once they are never quite the same, and if you injure them seriously, the older you are, the worse the long term effects.

That was a good read. They sure were smug. Probably not as smug as I was re-reading it. Went on a bit of a like-a-thon so I expect short ban is coming. Now where do I find that 'Eddie Thumbs up meme' you used?

No doubt it mak s you feel better, cheers ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which we then traded to West Coast for pick 6 or 7? Correct?
wasnt it pick 10 - freeman?
We got pick 11 which was traded to west coast for pick 6 which netted scharenberg. So we are yet to reap the fruits of that deal other than the salary cap we save
I reality, we got Freeman. The Shaz situation would have taken place regardless with our existing pick.
Except I don't think anyone would've predicted Daisy was this cooked. He had had a medium term injury and was yet to return, but there wasn't really any indications that Daisy wasn't gonna get back to being a very good player. Now he wasn't worth the (reported) 700k that Carlton were offering, but if they offered 500k then I reckon we would've matched it. (he was a restricted FA from memory)... unless we were that keen on getting the draft pick or on getting rid of him. IMO that is all it came down to - they wanted him, and overpaid to get him as a RFA: it's the way free agency works.
---

on a more important note: how old is your signature?
Amare > Dirk... nevaaaaa :D
Buckley was very clear on this at the time. We wanted Daisy to stay but weren't willing to match the big offer given the medical risk. Our assessments on the ankle were that it remained a query.
There was plenty of talk about the place that his injury was serious enough to potentially warrant early retirement. The thing with ankles is, in my experience once you've done them once they are never quite the same, and if you injure them seriously, the older you are, the worse the long term effects.
Stevie J was an ankle wasn't it?
And Roughy - not quite an ankle but look at him. I have it on good authority that after his Achilles surgery and the subsequent infection, the tendon was hanging together literally by the surgical thread. My point is, the human body has remarkable recuperative powers. Daisy may yet be ok.

But Mick and Daisy said the ankle is 100%!

It was obvious to everyone aside from Mick and a Daisy that his best footy was well and truly behind him. A 4yr deal was very poor list management and when you add 700k a year it becomes very, very bad list management.

Carlton didn't even have to offer that much because we weren't close to that number and he was always going to follow Mick because of his petulant attitude towards Bucks

upload_2015-5-23_21-1-22.png
Notice the trend lines, Since MM started they have gone backwards defensively and offensively with crowds matching...

The fact that they were cocky about stealing from us and thought they were destined for bigger things is now hilarious, another spoon to them this year it seems. Shell of the club I grew up with (by that I mean neighbours and friends supported them) and I love it. I for one hope the trends continue and with Trigg as CEO I believe the path is set so good times ahead too!.

Clear as day Mick won't be there next year, gee it would be funny if the traded Daisy.

They need a massive list overhaul, too many big money long term deals. They need to free up cash, only way you can do that is trade guys like Daisy, Gibbs and Murphy and pay part of the salary

Clear as day Mick won't be there next year, gee it would be funny if the traded Daisy.

They need a massive list overhaul, too many big money long term deals. They need to free up cash, only way you can do that is trade guys like Daisy, Gibbs and Murphy and pay part of the salary
Zero chance they offload Daisy unless they pay around $400k per year of his salary. Otherwise he has zero trade value on his current pay packet.

Zero chance they offload Daisy unless they pay around $400k per year of his salary. Otherwise he has zero trade value on his current pay packet.
The only possible chance is if his contract was heavily front loaded. Otherwise I agree. Would any other team would want him without considering his salary anyway?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back