List Mgmt. Dan Gorringe requests trade to Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That gives us 4 rucks. Now I don't know salaries etc, but is having all three of Ryder/Lobbe/Redden on our list a good use of resources given we may struggle to play them all - and Redden has had injury concerns, or is there an argument to trade Redden (if he carries enouhg value) and effectively re[place him with another Ruck/Forward - (ie Lowden).
No because Redden has no trade value.

We hold onto all of them for 2015 and if Redden starts playing good football we trade Lobbe + first rounder + whatever else for J.Cameron.

So - those who watch the GCS a fair bit - what does Gorringe bring to Port other than potential and height. When the debate about him was on last year and he played us in Rd 21, the only thing he really did was kick a nice goal. Will he be anything more than a #4 ruckman in the squad.

Not a whole lot at the moment from what I've seen. He's definitely a footballer, which may sound obvious but it's in contrast to some guys who are just athletic talls rather than real footballer types.
Athletic, not afraid to get involved in a contest, but it looked like he just didn't quite know what his role was as sometimes he'd be wondering aimlessly a bit.
I'm not the biggest fan, but there's definitely something to work with. I guess the fact that he does have a natural footy nous that can be exploited means he could end up being very flexible for us. However, that is just speculation without any real examples to offer up.

That's what I keep coming back to. The problem is, if next year is a write off, its almost career for him I would think.
I remember thinking in the early days Bowen Lockwood was going to be a star - he just had to get over his injuries.
That was a really depressing like =( I personally hold out hope that Reddo will come good, but that is a sobering thought.

If we end up with both Ryder and Gorringe on our list, would be immediate cover for any potential games being missed by Paddy, longterm or short.

Also it'd be interesting to see if we could implement a rotation policy for our rucks.

I was very surprised to hear Gorringe prefers Port over Crows. Not because he hated us growing up as a kid, but because it doesn't make sense.

Port are happy with Lobbe and it's public knowledge that they are getting a deal done for Ryder. Gorringe is in his early 20s and I'm assuming after more game time. If we land Ryder and Lobbe is fit in 2015, Gorringe won't be playing much senior footy in 2015. Not to mention we also have Trengove who get play a little bit in ruck if needed. So not sure why Gorringe is more keen to head to Port unless it's all about the KEN factor. Surely, where you will fit in best, would have to be very important consideration when changing clubs.

Giles - I say it's more likely he's off to the tingles.

Lowden - it will be either him or Gorringe or neither. Definitely not both if we land Ryder.

If we end up with both Ryder and Gorringe on our list, would be immediate cover for any potential games being missed by Paddy, longterm or short.

Also it'd be interesting to see if we could implement a rotation policy for our rucks.
Correct, it also safe guards us for any injuries to any KP player across the ground. People are worried about us being too tall but I really don't agree. The Swans play even more talls than what we're looking at and it works. There is no guarantee of having next to nil injuries again next year in September.

I was very surprised to hear Gorringe prefers Port over Crows. Not because he hated us growing up as a kid, but because it doesn't make sense.

You're overlooking the effect of the cult of Ken.

No because Redden has no trade value.

We hold onto all of them for 2015 and if Redden starts playing good football we trade Lobbe + first rounder + whatever else for J.Cameron.
I would want to hold onto Lobbe, both Gorringe and Redden can only be listed in "potential" at the moment, Lobbe is a proven performer and one of the players who got us close to a flag.If we have those four I don't see how we need Cameron, Redden can play forward and we have a lot more small forwards to feed off our tall than GWS.

The rate were going what are going to send gold coast that will satisfy them. Ryder I would think is the priority which means first is gone + ???? Would Gold Coast be satisfied with a second rounder + I don't know Logan? Only thing that is putting me off is he was a first round pick I think so they may want more

Maybe Ryder is not as big a priority now, if Gorringe wants to come to us?

We only have one first round pick so maybe we give it to the club that is the easiest to deal with?

Both Gorringe and Ryder are contracted so getting both without parting with something special is going to be difficult. I would like to see us get something for John Butcher before he has no currency so if he could be swung into the Gorringe or Ryder deal I would have no problems with it. Ryder and/or Gorringe can be used as KPPs, in fact one of them would probably have to be if they are both going to get a game and we have Harvey and Shaw developing so the need for John Butcher would not be as pressing as it was at the beginning of 2014.

I simply do not understand some players and their managers. Gorringe, whose contract expired last year, had the chance to return to SA last year yet he signed a two year deal and twelve months later wants to return home. Why not sign for a year or swing the deal while you are uncontracted?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Crows will go hard at him just to prove a point after polec
Yep, keep jumping at that Port Adelaide shadow crowbots.

Even when we were in our darkest of days - everyone said, be more vanilla like the crows - you will survive if you have more mass appeal like the crows. What did the PAFC do?

* ya all - WE ARE PORT ADELAIDE!

I simply do not understand some players and their managers. Gorringe, whose contract expired last year, had the chance to return to SA last year yet he signed a two year deal and twelve months later wants to return home. Why not sign for a year or swing the deal while you are uncontracted?

Agree. Gee they're not asking too much of us.

I don't want to get sucked in with topping up just because players are making themselves available.
Target what you need and keep drafting kids.

Port are happy with Lobbe and it's public knowledge that they are getting a deal done for Ryder. Gorringe is in his early 20s and I'm assuming after more game time. If we land Ryder and Lobbe is fit in 2015, Gorringe won't be playing much senior footy in 2015. Not to mention we also have Trengove who get play a little bit in ruck if needed. So not sure why Gorringe is more keen to head to Port unless it's all about the KEN factor. Surely, where you will fit in best, would have to be very important consideration when changing clubs.

Giles - I say it's more likely he's off to the tingles.

Lowden - it will be either him or Gorringe or neither. Definitely not both if we land Ryder.
I recall people saying that Gunston going to the Hawks with Buddy, Roughead and Hale was a silly move back in the day......... 2 premierships later....

As mentioned somewhere else it isn't all about the here and now. If he comes here he will probably extend his AFL career with a 2 year deal over the 1 year he has left. He'll get to develop in arguably the best fitness plan in the country, he'll get to develop under some real quality if we have Ryder as well as Lobbe and Redden, plus training against that quality will make him a better player. Then at the end of the day you never know what happens with injuries and future trades. Maybe Gorringe develops brilliantly and becomes our number 1 ruck in 2-3 years, maybe he dominates the SANFL and we end up having to trade him and he nets us more than he cost.

Either way, picking a team isn't always as simple as just saying oh that club has no backups I'll play there and he has to believe he is going to get better and become an AFL ruckman and sometimes the competition in a team is irrelevant. ie. look at Ceglar Vs McEvoy this year, who would've thought Ceglar would've been first choice for most of the year??

On another note Sam Jacobs is an elite ruckman and Gorringe aint getting a game at the crows anytime soon either.

Plus lastly for me it is Gorringe over Lowden every day of the week.

Could Gorringe play KPD?
Gold Coast have tried Gorringe as a key defender and I actually thought he played better in the role than he did as a ruckman. I remember debating Gorringe's merits on another site when he was making return home noises last year. We played Gold Coast about that time so I watched Daniel carefully. He did OK across half back but they switched him into the ruck after half time and he may have had a go forward as well. He did not do as well when moved but that was twelve months ago. On that day he had 22 disposals with 6 marks but only 12 hit outs.

This year he has only played a handful of games so it is hard to tell if he has made any progress.

I recall people saying that Gunston going to the Hawks with Buddy, Roughead and Hale was a silly move back in the day......... 2 premierships later....

As mentioned somewhere else it isn't all about the here and now. If he comes here he will probably extend his AFL career with a 2 year deal over the 1 year he has left. He'll get to develop in arguably the best fitness plan in the country, he'll get to develop under some real quality if we have Ryder as well as Lobbe and Redden, plus training against that quality will make him a better player. Then at the end of the day you never know what happens with injuries and future trades. Maybe Gorringe develops brilliantly and becomes our number 1 ruck in 2-3 years, maybe he dominates the SANFL and we end up having to trade him and he nets us more than he cost.

Either way, picking a team isn't always as simple as just saying oh that club has no backups I'll play there and he has to believe he is going to get better and become an AFL ruckman and sometimes the competition in a team is irrelevant. ie. look at Ceglar Vs McEvoy this year, who would've thought Ceglar would've been first choice for most of the year??

On another note Sam Jacobs is an elite ruckman and Gorringe aint getting a game at the crows anytime soon either.

Plus lastly for me it is Gorringe over Lowden every day of the week.

Gunston was recruited as to be 3rd forward for the Hawks. Nothing wrong with that. You take key forwards anytime you can get them.

From a club point a view, I don't mind Port having Gorringe as a backup ruck.

From the player's point of view, I would have thought where you see yourself as having the best opportunity and growth as the most important factor.

These days no team fields more than 2 ruckmen in their final 22. On many occasions teams field 1 ruck plus a part-timer.

Gorringe is definitely capable of being crows no 2 behind Jacobs. If crows land Giles, they won't go hard for Gorringe.

If we can't keep both then I would rather retain Redden than get Gorringe. Won't have any currency at the trade table and if he comes good with fitness I think he has huge upside. But only the club knows where Big Red sits with injuries. Not as though Gorringe hasn't had any injuries himself either.

The Annoying Gorringe :D
images

Could Gorringe play KPD?

I reckon this is what Kern is thinking. Didn't Gorringe play some CHB this year?

I see Gorringe and Paddy as filling a similar type of super athletic floating role - one forward, the other back, both doing some ruck and filling KPP gaps as required based on injuries and form. In basketball terminology, Jordan and Pippen at the Bulls were referred to as their two 'dobermans' prowling the Court, which led to their 6 championships. Ryder and Gorringe would be ours.

It's a no to Lowden in this case. Keep Redden and Lobbe as the two pure lead ruckmen on the list (Redden has a nice kick but is NOT a KPP whatever he may have done when younger and less injury riddled). Flexibility and fallback options for just about every KPP. Happy days!

I think we should try to Lock in Gorringe asap as Essendon are going to make it very hard and delay as long as possible with Ryder. We can't afford to have all other trades waiting for that one. Plus, once we have Gorringe, then Ess know we aren't as desperate for Ryder and we can call their bluff.

Would a straight swap for Butcher and Gorringe be acceptable? Both injury riddled high draft pick talls needing a fresh start? I'd be happy with that. Use our first rounder + third (or player) for the Ryder trade and keep our second rounder for the best kid.

Last edited:
This is too good to be true. If we can pull these two trades off, grab Krakouer and Wilson from Norwood or Caleb Daniels from South with late picks or rookie picks we will be the real deal for at least 4 years.

Maybe Gorringe and Ryder will be Rohde's going away presents. Only he (or Obie One Kenobi) could pull these trades off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back