Daniel Flynn

Remove this Banner Ad

... to be honest i thought we'd never see him again
Me too. I thought the whole ill grandad thing was a face-saving stunt and posted accordingly only to cop a deserved whack around the ears. Will be interesting to see how it goes.

Great news that he is coming back.

I had no doubt he would be back. It was just gut feel. I was pretty sure that his grandfather must have been terminally ill for him to have left the way he did. I overheard his brother and father talking at the family day in February and I got a pretty positive vibe that they thought what was happening to Daniel was a wonderful thing. Look at Tadgh Kennelly when he lost his dad, he went back and put his Afl career on hold for 8 months missing the whole 2006 season before coming back saying he was staying for one more contract then was going back to try to win an All Ireland final to go with his AFL flag.

If you understand the Irish - the Catholic - the small town closeness mentality you'd know that family come first and the need to find time to grieve a members passing is pretty important. I wouldn't be surprised if granddad told him to come back and live his dreams and make something of his life that professional sports can offer.

The fact Ken and co. went and visited his family in Ireland when they went to London for a conference and then his father and brother come here, suggested to me that a strong bond with the club was forged very quickly.

If Flynn ends up making it and becomes a star like Kennelly I can see Kochie doing a weeklong Sunrise special from Ireland one post season and marketing Port around Ireland with the Flynn's being a centre piece.

Anyone who spent time in Sydney in the 2000's knew there were a s**t load of Irish backpackers around the place especially before the GFC. It was amazing how many of them would come to watch the Swans because of Kennelly. One game maybe 3,000 - 5,000 were there as going to the game was part of some daylong Irish celebration - no not St Patty's day - both something else, that some of the backpackers organised.

He seems like a really good bloke who helps to make the Port Adelaide Football Club a fun and interesting place to be. And if he makes it the possibilities of promoting Port Adelaide in Ireland and Europe as a whole are amazing.

I love the imagination and the 'no limits' thinking that is going on at Alberton these days.

But yeah that run out of defence; man he's quick!

If Flynn ends up making it and becomes a star like Kennelly I can see Kochie doing a weeklong Sunrise special from Ireland one post season and marketing Port around Ireland with the Flynn's being a centre piece.

Given his early glimpses his ceiling looks to be more Pearce Hanley than Tadhg. Hashtag pew-pew pew exclamation mark.

Great news that he is coming back.

I had no doubt he would be back. It was just gut feel. I was pretty sure that his grandfather must have been terminally ill for him to have left the way he did. I overheard his brother and father talking at the family day in February and I got a pretty positive vibe that they thought what was happening to Daniel was a wonderful thing. Look at Tadgh Kennelly when he lost his dad, he went back and put his Afl career on hold for 8 months missing the whole 2006 season before coming back saying he was staying for one more contract then was going back to try to win an All Ireland final to go with his AFL flag.

If you understand the Irish - the Catholic - the small town closeness mentality you'd know that family come first and the need to find time to grieve a members passing is pretty important. I wouldn't be surprised if granddad told him to come back and live his dreams and make something of his life that professional sports can offer.

The fact Ken and co. went and visited his family in Ireland when they went to London for a conference and then his father and brother come here, suggested to me that a strong bond with the club was forged very quickly.
Spot on!
It's simply a sign of respect from both parties. I'd like to think this is the kind of stuff that makes PAFC stand out from the crowd; particularly in SA.

Given his early glimpses his ceiling looks to be more Pearce Hanley than Tadhg. Hashtag pew-pew pew exclamation mark.

I will be happy which one of those two types of players he becomes and hits their heights along the journey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring Luke over as well and then he's got a bit of home. Brothers always played well for Port Adelaide! :thumbsu:

The family club. We have had a s**t load of one half of the brothers play for the club in AFL days outside the brothers we have recruited eg Cornes' Burgoynes, Murrays etc.

eg Wakelin, Bond, James, Carr, Motlop, Stevens, Lonie, Bassett, Cloke, etc

Very happy to hear this. I really think he is capable. I thought he didn't leave because he didn't enjoy the game, his beaming smile and fascination of the game after the Adelaide NAB match spoke volumes of how he felt imo. He must of had a genuine reason to go home, I thought he would come back but thought it may be a while.

Culture..................it brings people back to us, keeps people with us and is one of the reasons why good players will come to us.
Fantastic news, like others didn't see this coming.

Just to add fuel to the fire.

INTERNATIONAL rookie Daniel Flynn will be welcomed back to Alberton with open arms by the Port Adelaide playing group if he chooses to resume his AFL career aspirations according to defender Matthew Broadbent.

Broadbent told portadelaidefc.com.au the Irishman, who departed the club due to family reasons in February, was a popular figure during his first weeks with the club.

"The boys love Flynny and loved having him around the club, he's a great bloke to have around," Broadbent told portadelaidefc.com.au.

Link to article on PAFC website

Get his Bro next year as well to keep him less homesick :D

Better still, get him a girlfriend and lots of Irish backpackers around him. When he went back he said he enjoyed his time with the boys and at the club, but was a bit lonely and homesick when he was away from the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back