Injury Daniel Menzel - Ankle ligament tear

Remove this Banner Ad

Where they were expected to get to? 0% chance.

Hands up, who thinks Menzel and Cowan should be offered new contracts if both expire at the end of this season?
Totally different in comparing players. But I can guarantee you that if the club thinks Menzel and Cowan are done then they won't be offered contracts, they'll be offered jobs off field like Matthew Egan.

I can't see them sacking him this year straight after they've said he'll be up for the next pre-season.
Unless there's a further problem before October.

All I'll say is, if his contract expires at the end of 2014, then offering him a new one is insane.
In the circumstances, a binary sack/retire outcome isn't really the right characterisation. More likely there will be a mutually agreed outcome between the parties. I foresee a few possibilities:

1. The tendonitis improves significantly between now and October. He is also in full training, contact drills, etc. A new 1 year deal is signed.

2. The tendonitis doesn't improve but Menzel is keen to try one last pre-season before deciding one way or the other. The club - consistent with it's treatment of other LTI players previously - offers him a one year deal which he accepts.

3. The tendonitis doesn't improve at all and mutual agreement is reached for retirement. No contract is offered but nor is one sought.

In the circumstances, a binary sack/retire outcome isn't really the right characterisation. More likely there will be a mutually agreed outcome between the parties. I foresee a few possibilities:

1. The tendonitis improves significantly between now and October. He is also in full training, contact drills, etc. A new 1 year deal is signed.

2. The tendonitis doesn't improve but Menzel is keen to try one last pre-season before deciding one way or the other. The club - consistent with it's treatment of other LTI players previously - offers him a one year deal which he accepts.

3. The tendonitis doesn't improve at all and mutual agreement is reached for retirement. No contract is offered but nor is one sought.

Sounds good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where they were expected to get to? 0% chance.

Hands up, who thinks Menzel and Cowan should be offered new contracts if both expire at the end of this season?

They are in a much better position than me to make the decision, but given the amount of time put in to Menzel if they think he is a chance to make it back next season why not a one year contract on not much coin? As for Cowan I'm not sure, Menzel showed that he could be a gun (whether or not he will be able to return to that level is anyones guess) not sure Cowan has the runs on the board but I haven't seen a lot of him so I have no idea to be honest.

Tendonitis is the same as Motlop had last year, he can play with it but it's not ideal.

I also have it in my left knee, I can still run and do exercise, but I'm probably at the point where I need to have surgery on it as it hasn't responded to normal treatment.

He played junior footy with Cam Guthrie until aged 14,then didn't play again until he was 21/22

Yes I acknowledge that , what really was refer to was someone who had made the elite level , miss for three years and come back. Not stop when 14. I do accept however that for him to make it after not having played a game for so long is amazing. Be even more so if he develops into a high end player.

Of course the club will give him a 1 year contract.

A fit menzel is an A+ grade player, and the club will do anything and everything to get him back.

Sitting out the 2014 campaign and getting him right for 2015 preseason is probably the best way to get him right.

He was never going to make a meaningful contribution anyway this year so I don't think it's a loss in 2014.

Should menzel do his knee a 5th time then I think it's stumps, but until then the club will give him every chance because he has potential to be a superstar.

This is different to Cowan. Cowan has shown next to zero and will probably be delisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back