Injury Daniel Menzel - Ankle ligament tear

Remove this Banner Ad

Has there been a player that missed 3 years and come back?

not sure about football but in the nba, yes, though the return is hardly a return:

After being released by the Blazers in March 2012, Oden spent the entire 2012-13 season rehabilitating from multiple knee surgeries, including a second microfracture surgery on his left knee in February 2012 and arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. Prior to that round of surgeries, Oden also had left knee surgery in 2009 after fracturing his patella, microfracture surgery on his left knee in 2010 to address a “defect” that occurred during non-contact rehabilitation work, and a microfracture surgery on his right knee in 2007. Oden also reportedly underwent Orthokine injections on both knees back in May 2012.

http://nba.si.com/2014/05/09/greg-oden-biggest-bust-nba-history-kevin-durant-blazers-thunder/

or the sad tale of brandon roy who retired at 26 due to degenerative knees.

so it doesnt bode well.

The knee tendinitis is old news. That was discovered months ago. All that's happened here is the club have decided to let him have a full pre-season leading into 2015, rather than trying to rush him back by August-September (the time he was expected to return after his most recent knee-reconstruction), where he would be expected to perform at a level unrealistic for a player in his situation.

To ensure he never does his ACL again, he needs to be allowed a huge amount of time to ease his way back into having confidence in his knees - and then, only then, can he concentrate on getting 'match-fit'. Similar to Dawson Simpson last season - who was a chance to be fit for finals in his recovery from a knee injury, but the decision was made to let him ease back into a pre-season rather than racing against the clock to get fit as soon as possible.

Daniel is no worse off now than he was two months ago. In my opinion, this is positive news. It's great to know he won't have any pressure on him this year, and assuming he can get over this knee tendinitis and get back running (with his left knee now fully recovered, like his right knee has been for over 18 months), he'll have the same approach to the 2015 season as every other fit player on the list.

I remember hearing awhile ago a very mature, sensible Dan, talking about his path ahead, the plan, and he very calmly said if there were setbacks along the way, they would readjust to them. Like he thought it was highly likely that there would be issues (understandably as tendonitis is quite common) and he was mentally strong enough to handle what might come his way.
Once this happened, and a very late season return was on the cards you have to ask why bother? Why risk? Extra time, full preseason, give him every opportunity for his last chance to last.
As for contracts, there's time between now and Oct to see if things are looking down or up. If down, the discussion will take place. If up, the club will give him a year.
One thing is for sure, if he makes it back on the field, he's going to get the mother of all standing ovations.

It is a sensible decision because he only has one shot at it-realistically any serious setbacks like another knee going and he will be retiring, so it makes sense to not rush this comeback and get it right.

See you in 2015 Menz.

Btw, I watched the 2011 qualifying final montage SJ made last night, and it reminded me how good a player Menzel was, hoping he gets back :thumbsu:

I put a line through Menz awhile ago....
I hope he has either started University or some sort of Apprenticeship.
After 3 years and 4 reco's.... I can't see him getting back to playing at the elite level.
And thats what it all comes down to... Back to an ELITE level... Playing in the Magoos don't count.
But Hey... I wish him all the best....

I'd give him one last year because of his age and we shouldn't really have list management problems (provided the club makes the tough decisions).

2015 gets a year of VFL and from there it's either retirement or AFL in 2016.

I'd give him one last year because of his age and we shouldn't really have list management problems (provided the club makes the tough decisions).

2015 gets a year of VFL and from there it's either retirement or AFL in 2016.
A year of vfl?
The knee soreness will go away and if menzel can complete a full pre season
there's no reason why he shouldn't.

You sound as if you have heard this from someone in the know?... source?
Poorly worded by me. Very poorly worded.

I dont know anything.
I'm with a poster above.

I reckon he will now have 4 months off the knee and purely swim etc. to keep a decent level of fitness.
He'll go on to the rookie list, and have one last crack at a full preseason.

If they are not worried about the knee so much (just the soreness) then I can't see him retiring or the club cutting him completely. He has come too far now.

Was more likely to have been delisted if he did play this year. Given his start from such a long way behind - he was never going to see senior team action this year.

I read this as a positive affirmation that the club still believe he can come back and that he will be given next year to prove himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Menzel is coaching the Newtown under 14's this season. How cool for these kids;
View attachment 57889

Gotta love the Cats - Menzel 'coaching'. Yeak, OK.

Looks like Wells has his eyes on the two lads bookending the bottom row (our future backline), and the tall kid standing extreme left (CHF), and we've planted Menz to start the 'Geelong Process'. :thumbsu:

Menz is one of those football tragedies, a player with enormous potential cut down by cruel injuries. Good to hear Balme saying they'll give him another year, even if it's on the rookie list, it shows some loyalty to the player. I hope (like everyone) he can make it, but you'd have to say at this stage - it's a long shot.

Looks like Wells has his eyes on the two lads bookending the bottom row (our future backline), and the tall kid standing extreme left (CHF), and we've planted Menz to start the 'Geelong Process'. :thumbsu:
I know SJ and Jimmy do some coaching of sorts in the local league also. Wells has planted his talent scout off-siders in strategic positions. Great ploy :cool:.

Like the look of those talls you pointed out. Also reckon the kid standing to Menzel's right is a mini Cotchin looks-wise. He'd be worth keeping an eye on too ;).

Back to Menzel, I'm so glad the club have taken the ultra slow and steady approach. It's gonna be so tense (if) when he runs out for his first game back.

Teaching them the "Geelong Way"?
Might find a ruckman in that group of tall kids as well- they can come online in 5 years or so ;)

I put a line through Menz awhile ago....
I hope he has either started University or some sort of Apprenticeship.
After 3 years and 4 reco's.... I can't see him getting back to playing at the elite level.
And thats what it all comes down to... Back to an ELITE level... Playing in the Magoos don't count.
But Hey... I wish him all the best....

Had any red rooster chips lately Ivan?

People seriously think Geelong is going to dump Menzel at the end of this year?! Wow... Unless he does the knee again, there's no chance he won't be on geelongs list in2015. They have come way too far and invested way too much in him to not give it one last mighty crack at it with him.

Given we are in absolute no squeeze list management wise, I will take giving Menzel one last crack at AFL footy over some draft pick 50 something thanks, if that's what the choice comes down to

s**t blokes all of them! :p
Should be crashing into parked cars and going to the beach IMO.

does anyone else watch chad wingard do his thing and think gee thats what menz would've been like if it were not for injuries?
they remind me of eachother for some reason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back