Opinion Danyle Pearce, Zac Clarke, Colin Sylvia

Remove this Banner Ad

I would almost back Mora or Sheridan to take Pearce's role on the wing. He has magic moments, but can also be a massive liability for us.

I'm being ruthless here, but I'll not be backing Mora to do anything yet until I see him absolutely monster this pre-season and play a handful of AFL games at full pace. I see him as a bonus not somebody we can rely on AFAIC.

Keeping DPearce out of the team is not going to be easy. He had a poor finals series, last weeks Sydney game included (I'll get to that), but he's been pretty good all year, sometimes poor, sometimes great, but overall he's a solid contributor. But he works both ways, has a big tank now and in RTB system that is a massive plus. Shero is going to have to build massively over the next few months to even get a look in, and Mora, well I've already said it, he can't run out a quarter of AFL let alone a game at this stage. Massive pre-seaosn for him and then maybe.

Now let me vent on DPearce given this seems the place to do it. I'm going to forget the other night, it was a poor game yadda yadda yadda - but to stand up and say you're good to go two weeks ago against Sydney when you were totally crook and end up being a waste of space on the field was selfish and shat me no end. He owed us big to have a massive game against Port and he did the opposite. It's a pet hate of mine when players cost their team by 'backing themselves' fit when they aren't.

So there you have it, I'm not impressed with DPearce's season end, but I'm also aware of what he can do and I realistically think, unless something dramatic happens over the pre-season, he'll be lining up for us Rnd 1 next year. I just hope he sorts his s**t out by then and gets some consistency in his game.

DPearce deserves his spot in the team because (1) He actually wants to play (2) Gives his best!

He is still an asset because he also frees up Hill and gets the ball into the 50.

Whereas the other spots need to be looked at like Maynes position if he doesn't return to his old form and Clarkes.

DPearce deserves his spot in the team because (1) He actually wants to play (2) Gives his best!

He is still an asset because he also frees up Hill and gets the ball into the 50.

Whereas the other spots need to be looked at like Maynes position if he doesn't return to his old form and Clarkes.

You want to keep Pearce and give Mayne the flick? His entries into our forward 50 is not an "asset", him leading the comp for inside 50's is not a good thing for us. Why do people keep using this when defending him?

Thank god you're not a selector when your main criteria for playing someone is because they want to play. I want to play for Freo too and I'd definitely give my best, sign me up Bondy!

You want to keep Pearce and give Mayne the flick? His entries into our forward 50 is not an "asset", him leading the comp for inside 50's is not a good thing for us. Why do people keep using this when defending him?

Thank god you're not a selector when your main criteria for playing someone is because they want to play. I want to play for Freo too and I'd definitely give my best, sign me up Bondy!

Those inside 50's stats for Danyle Pearce do coincide with him being our equal #1 goal assist player, and he's also our 4th highest goal kicker with 20 goals.

But on the negative he's raised a question mark because of he hasn't matched his home and away standards in finals.

Slyvia is the Pearce replacement for next year, at least he does't fumble under pressure and doesn't have a history of poor performance in finals.
Yep Slyvia is like silk. Into the team and out and nobody missed how smooth that transition was. I was like he had no effect.

Boot's on the other foot buddy. Chris Mayne is in the team to kick goals. Defensive stuff is a bonus and he was outscored by D Pearce on the weekend just like he has been all year.

D Pearce might make some absolutely shocking mistakes. But...
I'm not sure that Z Clarke has played a match in the last 4 weeks. I certainly haven't seen him do ... well anything. Absolutely nothing at all. I can live with a ruck only getting 10 disposals if you are playing as a ruck but to have 0 tackles, 0 goals and 0 points playing as a forward in our team... please.
And don't get me started on Suban who played a whole game as a mid/back and got 10 disposals with a 50% DE. So by hand or foot he hit his team mate exactly 1 in 2 times. But please bear in mind that a kick over 20 meters to a 50/50 contest and you have an effective disposal so we are looking at less than that. I might forgive that but as "tough in and under" player with a huge 2 clearances and 1 tackle. I have to wonder. MDB in less time on the ground had him beaten in all aspects of the game.

So have a crack at D Pearce by all means but he wasn't even close to the worst on ground. Wasn't even the worst mid. Yep I watched D Pearce hand over a goal but I also saw a really nice snap for a goal. I rate him to come back better next year. I really am starting to wonder about Clarke and others though.

How about a reality check eh? Who exactly is better than Pearce in that position? Slyvia lol?

Pearce is a vital player that performs his job, whereas Mayne does f all as a forward. Lets not forget bar last season Mayne was a laughing stock in the competition and well he has returned to that form. Sorry but pressure acting doesn't cut it in his position as we may as well play Debour who does the same thing and at least touches the ball even though horrible disposal.

I am perplexed that one of the ongoing justifications given for playing Pearce is that he takes the heat off Hill.
Hill isn't getting tagged any less, and no sensible coach would tag Pearce instead of Hill, so that can't be the reason.
And if the reason is that Pearce manages to get on the outside and kick it into the forward 50 a lot, and therefore assumes some of Hill's role, well there are other guys coming on that could do this too, and I would argue do it with less negatives than we can see in Pearce's game.
Can anyone explain it to me?

So many D. Pearce apologists ITT.

Look, I understand he's seductive as f***.

Talented. Fast. Flashy. Kicks spectacular goals.

But he doesn't do any of it when finals arrive. You've been conned.

How are we supposed to win the premiership if D. Pearce spuds it up every time it matters?

D. Pearce is more likely to win a worst player in the GF award than a North Smith. I'd bet on it.

It's time we started eliminating weak links in the team. Starting with Pearce.

We've had a nice run of finals campaigns, of varying success, but now we should chase the ultimate goal - a premiership - we should do so ruthlessly. D. Pearce either corrects whatever demons cause him to capitulate under pressure or he's out. Sylvia is an option to replace him.

I am perplexed that one of the ongoing justifications given for playing Pearce is that he takes the heat off Hill.
Hill isn't getting tagged any less, and no sensible coach would tag Pearce instead of Hill, so that can't be the reason.
And if the reason is that Pearce manages to get on the outside and kick it into the forward 50 a lot, and therefore assumes some of Hill's role, well there are other guys coming on that could do this too, and I would argue do it with less negatives than we can see in Pearce's game.
Can anyone explain it to me?
He doesn't take the heat off Hill, but he is supposed to give us another outside option if Hill gets tagged out of the game.

Last edited:

How are we supposed to win the premiership if D. Pearce spuds it up every time it matters?

D. Pearce is more likely to win a worst player in the GF award than a North Smith. I'd bet on it.

We've had a nice run of finals campaigns, of varying success, but now we should chase the ultimate goal - a premiership - we should do so ruthlessly. D. Pearce either corrects whatever demons cause him to capitulate under pressure or he's out. Sylvia is an option to replace him.
I agree. There is some doubt that he will ever have the composure to play in finals. He has had some very good games during the year so lets not dismiss his efforts completely.

Those inside 50's stats for Danyle Pearce do coincide with him being our equal #1 goal assist player, and he's also our 4th highest goal kicker with 20 goals.

But on the negative he's raised a question mark because of he hasn't matched his home and away standards in finals.

That's the issue, I have defended him pretty recently and liked his H&A season overall. He just crumbles in pressure games.

It's a mental weakness that won't ever be fixed.

lol.

Outstanding :thumbsu:

The vitriol against Pearce is beyond rubbish. If he was home grown we'd accept his faults much more easily. Mzungu had more crucial clangers and got less of the ball. Fyfe centred the ball to no one. Pav had little impact on the game. Hill missed a handball over the top to Pav. Plenty of errors in the game, if you rewatch the game Pearce was involved in plenty of positive ball movements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about a reality check eh? Who exactly is better than Pearce in that position? Slyvia lol?

Morabito, Sheridan, Suban and Sylvia would be the main competitors for his spot. I don't think any of them are likely though, since Ross Lyon rates Pearce much more highly than this thread does.

Morabito, Sheridan, Suban and Sylvia would be the main competitors for his spot. I don't think any of them are likely though, since Ross Lyon rates Pearce much more highly than this thread does.
Mightn't be as early as next year... Though I hope it is... But crozier would be a very good addition to this list. Best user of the lot. And quicker than all except mora... And pearceD obviously.

Sutty is probably only a preseason away from presenting a solid challenge for that spot too.

It'll be nice to have more options.

Personally I think Mora is the only realistic competitor for D Pearce's spot. Sheridan an outside chance. Quite amusing reading Sylvia as a suggestion. Not only has he shown the least on field of any established player we have used this year, he has shown that his injury prone Melbourne history is continuing. Couple that with a poor fitness base and you have a credibility problem. Has some work to do just to be taken seriously at this stage does our Colin. I am tipping he comes back a little early for training, and starts the pre-season a little fitter than this year.

EDIT; just saw Strobe's post re Crozier, and agree he would be a great option to develop in that specific role.

He had at least 3 free kicks against him last night that I counted. (There was the spoil, and two separate holding frees. Fortunately Schultz missed one of the shots on goal.) But yeah, he definitely won't be traded.
The vitriol against Pearce is beyond rubbish. If he was home grown we'd accept his faults much more easily. Mzungu had more crucial clangers and got less of the ball. Fyfe centred the ball to no one. Pav had little impact on the game. Hill missed a handball over the top to Pav. Plenty of errors in the game, if you rewatch the game Pearce was involved in plenty of positive ball movements.
Please don't reduce this to people having an opinion on someone based on where they are from. If he was home grown I would get rid of him every day of the week. Really no point comparing D Pearce with Fyfe, Mzungu, Pav or anybody else. Sure, they all make mistakes, but nobody gets caught holding the ball or misses targets as much. (Surely a prerequisoite for somebody playing as "outside" as Pearce is that you have to hit targets cause lets face it......he's not wining his own ball). As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with other posters when they say that Pearce is good in home and away games, but goes to water against good teams when the heat is on.

Please don't reduce this to people having an opinion on someone based on where they are from. If he was home grown I would get rid of him every day of the week. Really no point comparing D Pearce with Fyfe, Mzungu, Pav or anybody else. Sure, they all make mistakes, but nobody gets caught holding the ball or misses targets as much. (Surely a prerequisoite for somebody playing as "outside" as Pearce is that you have to hit targets cause lets face it......he's not wining his own ball). As much as I hate to admit it, I have to agree with other posters when they say that Pearce is good in home and away games, but goes to water against good teams when the heat is on.
He does compete for his own ball often. Trouble is he takes too long to decide what to do with it, or like Suban chooses to get caught with it rather than to hand it off to the opposition. It really pisses me off too, but watching Fyfe give a brilliant handball straight to a Port outside runner is even worse for the team because it doesn't hold up play.

Last edited:
Ok I've seen this way too many times lately but can posters please spell Sylvia's name right? I don't care that we all hate him and s**t but it grinds my gears every time I see it spelt as "Slyvia" and I think it says "saliva", even if it's a typo. IT'S SYLVIA. Y BEFORE L.

Thank you :p

I like Danyle's heart and effort into the game. His decision making was awful the last half of the season. He needs a player who can light a fire up his ass to make him perform better or be put into more pressure situations to get him used to it.

The only players who can replace Pearce.D in the best 22 are Crozier, Suban or Sheridan. First two need to nearly double their tanks to play the role Ross uses Pearce for and the second needs an injection of ticker. End to end two way running is Pearce.D role and it's brutal when you see how much ground he covers in a game. If he doesn't stick many of his tackles it's usually because he's buggered. Sylvia is zero chance, he'll never have the tank at this stage he should be an impact inside mid not an outside runner. Mora the same after having so long out of the game and still having to watch just how much running he puts in to his fragile body. His foot skills make Pearce look like Lindsay Gilbee too.

There's a larger point though and that's if Pearce is too tired to execute his skills properly after busting his arse for the gameplan, then why demand he run so hard in the first place? I'd take more pressure on the backs to beat their man one on one for more efficient forward 50 entries personally.

Last edited:

Completely disagree. Pearce's negative impact on the game was far beyond any of those players. It was the sheer quantity of Pearce errors which separates him from the others. Holding the ball multiple times showing a complete lack of awareness, burning multiple scoring chances by missing easy targets, multiple turnovers resulting in goals. It doesn't matter if he was involved in some positive plays, his overall game was an absolute howler.

Another thing is the fact he has done this several finals in a row. His GF was terrible. Maybe he was sick against Sydney, but once he decided to cross the line, he has to perform. That is a very key part of the arguments in this thread against Clarke and Pearce. They have been proven to consistently crumble under finals pressure.

Pearce actually plays OK in the regular season, maybe he fumbles a bit, but is generally worth his spot in the side. Unfortunately finals are a different story.

You can use that 'finals are a different story' argument against Ballas too, if you want. We're really talking about Pearce in the Grand Final and the last two games. The other two finals he played last year, which we won, did this issue come up?

Completely disagree. Pearce's negative impact on the game was far beyond any of those players. It was the sheer quantity of Pearce errors which separates him from the others. Holding the ball multiple times showing a complete lack of awareness, burning multiple scoring chances by missing easy targets, multiple turnovers resulting in goals. It doesn't matter if he was involved in some positive plays, his overall game was an absolute howler.

Another thing is the fact he has done this several finals in a row. His GF was terrible. Maybe he was sick against Sydney, but once he decided to cross the line, he has to perform. That is a very key part of the arguments in this thread against Clarke and Pearce. They have been proven to consistently crumble under finals pressure.

Pearce actually plays OK in the regular season, maybe he fumbles a bit, but is generally worth his spot in the side. Unfortunately finals are a different story.

Excellent post.... as his former buddy this year (removed it as it is too embarrassing after the weekend) I watch him extra closely and halfway though the first quarter I knew he was in for a shocker and wanted him subbed. His decision making the last couple of months has been terrible and the turnovers killed us. We don't want him becoming our version of Priddis....eg really hard working, nice guy who gets the ball a lot but invariably causes more damage from his possessions than good.

Pearce overall has a game style that crumbles when the spotlight is on him, around congestion and doing things quickly on reflex he tends to be ok but when he gets a bit of time to think he stuffs it up. He would be better as an inside mid than outside but doesn't have the size for it.

I'm feeling the ruthlessness creep in.

Suban - Cut the cord. He may look a goer but lacks something in output.. Trade as a package with someone? (C. Pearce?)
Mcpharlin - Retire him. club legend. no guarantee on his body, and no sign we WILL play GF next year. He may have played his one chance for it.
D. Pearce - One last season. doesn't perform to a-level? trade immediately. (I been an advocate for him being important)
Morabito - Trade. Have we been keeping the faith too long? I was never big into him as a saviour, the feel good story of comeback is kitch. We feel like a shelter this year, harboring so much injury prone. Be nice if next season we had no ACL baggage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back