Debate - Do you think Damien Hardwick is ruining Jack Riewoldt's instinct and game winning ability?

Remove this Banner Ad

McDonough leading goal kicker at junior level, Lennon the most talented half forward throughout his juniors... Both of them should be enhancing their craft and developing a relationship with our forwards... Both being played as half backs. Enough said.

yeah buts its par for the course for newbies learning the defensive craft, before being put in their rightful positions. ;)

I hate skinny Jack, I want a big Richo-like Jack. I hate him being a decoy, I want to see him grab marks and smash packs while kicking big numbers!

Vickery should be the decoy.

Yeah right. 'Oooh, I'm the floating defender - I could either go to the 2-time Coleman Medallist, or the Big Spud who drops chest marks. Hmmmm......'.

And that's the problem. Until we develop a viable 2nd (and 3rd and 4th) avenue to goal, the defence wil just collapse in on Riewoldt, because he's the only forward regular who wins more one-on-one contests than he loses.

Yeah right. 'Oooh, I'm the floating defender - I could either go to the 2-time Coleman Medallist, or the Big Spud who drops chest marks. Hmmmm......'.

And that's the problem. Until we develop a viable 2nd (and 3rd and 4th) avenue to goal, the defence wil just collapse in on Riewoldt, because he's the only forward regular who wins more one-on-one contests than he loses.
So we should bulk Riewoldt back up so he at least stands a chance. :p

Never have I agreed with a thread more. Tell me, when Ross Lyon got to Fremantle..do you reckon he sat Matthew Pavlich down and said "Look Pav, i know you've been kicking all these goals in the last few seasons, but from now on I want you to kick less goals so Kepler Bradley can kick more". Its absolutely absurd that we went to Vickery 14 times and JR only 3, probably highlights as well just how bad Tyrone was. Interesting to note that in Dimma's Dissection he had a fair few passing jabs at TV, saying he didn't take enough marks, spent the night behind and in hindsight he would've subbed him instead of Griffiths. It doesn't just stop there though in terms of the change in Jack, the apparent move of Dustin Martin to half back is also a stinker, why would you put our most dangerous attacking player behind the ball? Fair enough to have him drop down there occasionally, but to have him more in the back half than the middle/front half in a game is mind numbing. It doesn't help that we're playing Carlton next week for Jack, given this is the game over recent times where Hardwick really tries to use him as a decoy (see Round 1 last year and the EF) and if we try to adopt this method again I cannot see us winning. Play Jack where he plays his best footy, it's not rocket science, and it frustrates me more than anything that we as supporters can see what's happening to our detriment, and Hardwick can't.

Jack looks to have trimmed down, I think this will allow him to mix it up a bit
Giving away a bit of bullocking power but that's not been his strength, more, it's his perfect read of the ball, and timing of his one on one, hopefully still got it.
Plus, ought see him able to fly higher for a few speccies !
Will take a while for him to capably range up the ground, but worth sticking with, can always drop him back for quarters here and there, or for r 15-Finals until he has it in him to excel at a range of roles, next year, say, when he is an unstoppable terror all over the fwd half.

Biggest load of crap I've ever seen.

Make no mistake about it, Dimma has screwed Jack up. He was THE most dangerous forward in the game. Everyone s**t themselves when he was one on one or even one on two, cause he would get the ball and kick the goals.

Now we see another dominant talent in Martin being royally screwed by this same crap.

I reckon in early 2011 we had the 2 most exciting players in the game. Jack - jumping on peoples heads, soccering miracles and swaggering around like he owned the place, and Martin - kicking 60-metre bombs and smashing would-be tacklers.

Now we have a decoy and a half-back sweeper.
I like Dimma but he's lost his marbles this time around.

Frightening…

I thought people would disagree with me, hence the word 'debate' in the title, but 98% have agreed and feel even more passionately about it than I do.

We lack X factor and we're suppressing it.

'Hey Buddy, kick less goals so Gunston can kick more'. - I wonder if Clarkson would have ever said that...

Agree about jack and even more so about martin, from what I saw martin was playing on Stanley most of the game, Stanley kicks two. And beat martin most of the night. It's not just a bad move for Dustin's growth but a bad move for the team

Frightening…

I thought people would disagree with me, hence the word 'debate' in the title, but 98% have agreed and feel even more passionately about it than I do.

'Hey Buddy, kick less goals so Gunston can kick more'. - I wonder if Clarkson would have ever said that...
He did last year. Buddy kicked 9 less goals from 2 extra games compared to 2012, while Gunston kicked 7 goals more from 4 extra games. Fox Footy just showed a graph that showed Buddy went from being the target inside 50 50% of the time in 2011 to only 35% of the time last year, while Roughead Bruest & Gunston had between a 5-10% increase.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma's theory about playing Jack away from goals is one of the craziest things I've heard, why wasn't Dunstall or Locket played up the ground? I like how he has ben able to identify and remove dead wood, however when you go to the draft table and jag a good full forward and then decide to up the ground so your not predicable defies the purpose to draft a good player for he's position.

Frightening…

Think Matthew Lloyd has been reading this thread IMO

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/give-us-back-the-old-jack-riewoldt-20140321-hvl3v.html

At a guess, when Riewoldt started to wrestle with his opponents in 11/12 Dimma wanted to adress that and get him leading more, think he's gone overboard with his plan though.

A lot of debate here about Jack and Dustin with most questioning Dimma's handling of it all.

Out of interest, how much, if any, of a say do you think Jack and Martin get in all this? How much the other coaches, Mark Williams x 2, Daley, Lade get a say - or at least the right of challenge? How much the leadership group?

I don't know the answers to these myself and I expect we'd not know unless someone was inside the club, but willing to bet, while at the end of the day Dimma owns the decision and has the largest stake in it - unless he's James Hird - he's not some sort of rouge faction and the only guy buying into it as a sound longer term improvement strategy.

Even the Velvet Ponce is on to it. The 'Dimma Plan' destroyed Tucks career, is destroying Jack's career and it looks like Martin is next. We have become a stagnant, impotent and confused outfit under the 'Dimma Plan' with no run and no one prepared or confident enough to take the game on, which is incredibly frustrating for both the fans and the players. Now we have to suffer w***ers in the media like Lloyd pointing out the bleeding obvious like 'Jack Riewoldt should be main target in the forward line". Oh Really??? Five years of the 'Dimma Plan' and that monstrosity against Gold Coast was the best we can dish up? He has proven time and time again with the Tuck saga etc that he has no concept whatsoever of maximizing and exploiting player strengths and it is quite clear with the obvious confusion last week that the game plan is too defensive, too confusing and doesn't hold up for four quarters e.g. the last two games we have been embarrassingly run over in the second half, even with the opposition being two rotations down last week!!! I think Dimma has deluded himself and persisted with the 'Dimma Plan' fantasy to the detriment of the team and the supporters (a trait no doubt developed from his Essendon days). Unless he changes things up very soon and gets back to the basics we will be resigned to another season of humiliating defeats and underachievement (with a couple of cheap wins against poor teams where superior natural ability of our gun players will drag up over the line). It is now or never for Richmond. We have a Premiership coach down on the bench whist Dimma is up in the box scratching his head. Get him up to the coaches box FFS! Rant over.

Anyone watch the Hawks game yesterday and the game plan we are copying? Lmao not even close.
Hawks are a good 12-24 months ahead of us in terms understanding a game plan that revolves around using multiple targets as options rather than going through the one main target. Watching Fox Footy before the Hawks game yesterday they had a nice little graphic that showed that Buddy went from being the I50 target 50% of the time in 2011 to only 35% of the time last year. In the meantime Roughead & Gunston in particular became the targets more often. As a result Roughead went from kicking 41 goals in 2012 to 72 goals and winning a Coleman medal 12 months later.

Now I'm not suggesting that in 2015 we'll be celebrating Vickery becoming a Coleman medal winner, but given time I'm rather confident that our desire to spread the workload among 3-4 targets inside 50 will pay off, as long as we stick to it and make the necessary refinements. I remember when we first started trying to play zone defence we absolutely stunk at it and were often opened right up when employing it. Fast forward to last year and we had the 3rd best defensive unit in terms of points against during the H&A season.

A lot of debate here about Jack and Dustin with most questioning Dimma's handling of it all.

Out of interest, how much, if any, of a say do you think Jack and Martin get in all this? How much the other coaches, Mark Williams x 2, Daley, Lade get a say - or at least the right of challenge? How much the leadership group?

I don't know the answers to these myself and I expect we'd not know unless someone was inside the club, but willing to bet, while at the end of the day Dimma owns the decision and has the largest stake in it - unless he's James Hird - he's not some sort of rouge faction and the only guy buying into it as a sound longer term improvement strategy.
I bet they all have equal say frankly and to say its all on DH wrong imo. I still think the plan is for JR to roll back on a fast play to catch the defenders on the hop, but moving the ball so slowly makes this plan null and void.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back