Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plays bigger than he is though - great leap, marks at the highest point, goes hard at packs.

Brett Burton from Adelaide was only 185cm but his leap and arm length made him seem like he was 190+cm.
People keep bringing up forwards from 5+ years ago. What you don't realise is that defenders are taller and more agile than ever. When Burton, Fev, Bradshaw, Robinson etc were playing as KPF you didn't have defenders that were 196cm who could run a sub 3 second 20m sprint and 10min 3km

I'd rather invest in an u18 player at that pick. I guess the WCE just threw their arms in the air and said 'we are unable to identify a sliding talent' so the MO is take a Claremont player they are familiar with and watch every day.
I'd rather we just invest in the player we think is going to be better - if that's mitch McGovern then so be it

Isn't there a consensus within the recruiting community that Mitch has just as much scope for improvement as Jeremy did?

Hard to say he's not worth 32 (which isn't an amazing pick) based on his aerial traits and skill by foot.

Not sure why. He's substantially smaller and has similar skill set.

Plays bigger than he is though - great leap, marks at the highest point, goes hard at packs.

Brett Burton from Adelaide was only 185cm but his leap and arm length made him seem like he was 190+cm.

So does Jeremy though.

The biggest differerence in arial ability is J.McGovern is harder to shift and can better stand under the high ball. Mitch is the more adept ground level player, quicker over the deck.

I'd rather we just invest in the player we think is going to be better - if that's mitch McGovern then so be it

I'm just not seeing the justification for taking him at that pick. The only thing I can think of is that they are worried about the Dockers drafting him and the possibility of Jeremy defecting over - so its like an insurance policy.

Regardless of his height he is a 20yo project player. He was considered undraftable two years ago. Now after 11 games where he averaged 10 possessions, 4 marks and less than 1 goal a game he is now worth pick 32? Take your blinkers off WCE recruiting department.

And taking on a slightly left field analysis just how many brothers in the AFL are as good as each other or considered A grade talent?

Hits

Swallow brothers (a bit of a early call but both solid -A and still peaking)
Scott brothers (Lions)
Others??

Flops ( meaning one of the two simply doesn't make it)

Goodes
Voss (a bit harsh maybe)
Others???

A then you have the Daniher family.

How much does a players blood line play in talent?

We should just be making sure all the boxes are ticked before considering his last name and who he's related to.

Not sure why. He's substantially smaller and has similar skill set.

So does Jeremy though.

The biggest differerence in arial ability is J.McGovern is harder to shift and can better stand under the high ball. Mitch is the more adept ground level player, quicker over the deck.

Is Mitch quick? Could he play on a wing ala Embley?

I feel that with mitch McGovern he has an inflated value due to Jeremy's success this year .
If Jeremy didn't play a game would mitch even get picked in the national draft ?
I feel with the evenness of the draft from picks 20-40 we could pick up a decent mid or HBF/mid with 32 and if mitch is gone by 51 hopefully pick up cripps as a KPF instead and he could also potentially be our project ruck .

Last edited:
Is Mitch quick? Could he play on a wing ala Embley?

Not explosive of his first few steps but when he gets going he flies over the turf. Very clean off the deck and so on, i do question if he's got the capacity to play on ball. But as a marking and kicking player he might well be suited to a role on the wing.

I feel that with mitch McGovern he has an inflated value due to Jeremy's success this year .
If Jeremy didn't play a game would mitch even get picked in the national draft ?
agreed. And even McGovern's 'success' was relative to our lack of any new talent coming through in recent times.

Like Masto id be pretty pissed if we used 32 on Mitch considering the even spread of outside/flanker types that should be available, and considering we just don't need a player like him as much as we need other types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would really like McGovern, ideally at 51 but wouldn't be fussed at 32. He could be a special 3rd tall at either end. The mids likely to be available don't have me enthused. More of what we have imo, unless Lamb slides who is different.

Happy to take the best mid with some rare talents (Laverde, Cockatoo, Weller) at 11 and hope they fulfill their potential. This draft is supposedly light on for elite talent but even with good depth, so we could just as likely get some mid at 50ish who is just as good as a mid around the 30 mark anyway.

I would really like McGovern, ideally at 51 but wouldn't be fussed at 32. He could be a special 3rd tall at either end. The mids likely to be available don't have me enthused. More of what we have imo, unless Lamb slides who is different.

Happy to take the best mid with some rare talents (Laverde, Cockatoo, Weller) at 11 and hope they fulfill their potential. This draft is supposedly light on for elite talent but even with good depth, so we could just as likely get some mid at 50ish who is just as good as a mid around the 30 mark anyway.
Mitch McGovern is no kid and while his games in the WAFL have been serviceable he has hardly set the world on fire.

I sure there is more up side to a 18 year old tall available at 51.

Rookie pick at best for mine, puts him in the same range as when we recruited Jeremy.

Mitch McGovern is no kid and while his games in the WAFL have been serviceable he has hardly set the world on fire.

Rookie pick at best for mine, puts him in the same range as when we recruited Jeremy.
His 2013 season was wiped out by injury if I recall correctly. He's only 20, just simply being two years younger than that doesn't mean you automatically have more upside.

The injury and not having the benefit of the talent academies from a young age like a lot of these kids have means he is probably behind the majority in terms of his football development.

If someone take mini gov before our pick 51 just means another player may be available at that pick . Same goes with boekhorst .
That Daniel Mckenzie looks like the exact type we need . Hope he lasts till our 2nd
A draft of
11 cockatoo
32 Mckenzie
51 Nelson
69 cripps
+ waterman

People keep bringing up forwards from 5+ years ago. What you don't realise is that defenders are taller and more agile than ever. When Burton, Fev, Bradshaw, Robinson etc were playing as KPF you didn't have defenders that were 196cm who could run a sub 3 second 20m sprint and 10min 3km
Fletcher would have gone close.
Still don't think the long distance trials would apply to a true FB even in this day and age.
Fev, Bradshaw, Dunstall, Plugger would all still kick arse today.

I would spit hot coffee over my missus face if we used pick 32 on Mcgovern. And probably throw the coffee mug at her if we used it on Smith :drunk:
Rainbow, Mckenzie, Menadue, Gore thanks.
The first three you mentioned are likely to be gone although it would be fantastic if one of them slid to #32. Gore I'm not a huge fan of, would prefer others. I've just uploaded my mock on to the phantom draft board. I have West Coast taking McGovern at #32, not because it's what I would do, but because of the recent whispers. Unfortunately if the draft shapes up like it has in my prediction West Coast might be deciding between McGovern, Smith, Gore, Miller and McLean among other uninspiring choices. Really hoping there's a slider but we might be disappointed come draft night.

I would spit hot coffee over my missus face if we used pick 32 on Mcgovern. And probably throw the coffee mug at her if we used it on Smith :drunk:

The International Rules match on right now is being played in support of White Ribbon, a campaign to stop violence against women.

Good to see the message getting through:oops:

Regardless of his height he is a 20yo project player. He was considered undraftable two years ago. Now after 11 games where he averaged 10 possessions, 4 marks and less than 1 goal a game he is now worth pick 32? Take your blinkers off WCE recruiting department.

The paper today was jizzing all over him.

The first three you mentioned are likely to be gone although it would be fantastic if one of them slid to #32. Gore I'm not a huge fan of, would prefer others. I've just uploaded my mock on to the phantom draft board. I have West Coast taking McGovern at #32, not because it's what I would do, but because of the recent whispers. Unfortunately if the draft shapes up like it has in my prediction West Coast might be deciding between McGovern, Smith, Gore, Miller and McLean among other uninspiring choices. Really hoping there's a slider but we might be disappointed come draft night.

Mcgovern will not be picked at 32, Not a chance !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back