Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Who will we draft? edition

Pick 11 - Who will it be

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I logged on just to post this haha. I have just been down at leavers/schoolies and drank quite a bit, anyway when I slept my drunk dream was literally that Christian Petracca slid down to pick 11. Shows how much I care about this draft (or maybe it was a vision of the future)

If he doesn't shirk the contest, goes hard at it and has vision then he could one day develop into a mid. Now be mindful that guys like Stevie J and LeCras have taken at least 6 years before making that transition to mid, so don't expect it to be something that happens early. Yeo is in that transition period now. Again, anyone we draft won't be a major impact until at least a couple of years from now - there's no magic bullet here.
I also think this idea of a "full time mid" is something that's quickly falling to the wayside.
Someone like Laverde you'd expect to start on a wing or HFF and then be introduced into the centre square rotation, like Fyfe.

Do not want Duggan, Garlett is the best WA boy by far HOWEVER does not have the mental capacity to stick to an AFL career and the recruiters don't know much about him so he shouldn't get picked up first round too much of a risk. DE GOEY will be the best Mid from this draft, the kid is a gun. Laverde has a great highlights package however has question marks over his consistency.

De Goey is my first choice, then it is Ahern > Lavaerde

Cockatoo no thanks, Duggan too small and one dimensional.

I haven't seen much of Weller so cannot comment, spent most of my time monitoring the WA and Vic boys.

Oh and watch out for Declan Hamilton from SA is Jarmans cousin and will be around the 2nd round, he will be gun.

Will Laverde ever be a FT mid? Apparently clubs are going cold on him because they don't know what his best position is.

Duggan probably projects more as a full time mid more so than Laverde.

Laverde looks like he may be a fwd in the mould of a cross between Waite and Gunston .

It would be good to have a midfielder who could rest as a marking option in the forward line.
Wellingham, in theory, was supposed to be that player but so far has disappointed in the role.
We don't really have any other player who can do that (as those in charge prefer for Yeo to play out of the backline when not in the midfield).

If we do select him I think he could play a role similar to what embers did - a taller outside midfielder who can rest forward and be dangerous.

Probably this. I would argue that's close to our single biggest deficiency now as well - Gaff/Masto/whoever else wing options are too similar. Think others have put that case forward earlier in the thread and they're spot on.

This.

McCartin, Petracca and Brayshaw seem locked in for top 3 so the Saints decision probably only affects who Melbourne get

If, and its a big if, Melbourne choose a player outside that trio things get very interesting.

I.e Pickett

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has elite disposal, is very quick and has a great mark. Gaff, Masten and Embley each have or had one of those 3 traits. Laverde breaks lines and also has the ability to win his own ball, something that I think a lot of people are overlooking.

That's fine and if he can start in the centre, that would seem to be meeting our immediate need.

There just sometimes seems to be a discrepancy between what we have been calling for all year (big bodied fast mid with elite disposal) and the skills attached to certain potentials. They need to fit what we need, not us adjusting to what they are and in our case, I'd suggest we need an option that does this quickly, rather than over 5-6 years when our forward line will be without Kennedy and LeCras, and NicNat may have lost his bounce.

http://media.theage.com.au/video-sp...a-quayles-afl-draft-pick-preview-6028292.html

Emma seems to suggest her order will be something like this:
1. McCartin
2. Petracca
3. Brayshaw
4. Pickett
5. De Goey
6. Goddard
7. Ahern
8. Laverde
9. Moore
10. Wright

Have GC been linked to Laverde? She seemed to suggest he would be GWS's next choice at pick 7 and then tacked him on after that pick.
Also they confirmed that the right analogy was opening Christmas presents.

He has elite disposal, is very quick and has a great mark. Gaff, Masten and Embley each have or had one of those 3 traits. Laverde breaks lines and also has the ability to win his own ball, something that I think a lot of people are overlooking.

If Laverde had elite disposal he'd be going top 2. His kicking is definitely a relative weakness.

Really? It's ok, but elite?

That's fine and if he can start in the centre, that would seem to be meeting our immediate need.

There just sometimes seems to be a discrepancy between what we have been calling for all year (big bodied fast mid with elite disposal) and the skills attached to certain potentials. They need to fit what we need, not us adjusting to what they are and in our case, I'd suggest we need an option that does this quickly, rather than over 5-6 years when our forward line will be without Kennedy and LeCras, and NicNat may have lost his bounce.

Wishful thinking trying to find an inside/outside mid with elite disposal who'll come in and dominate straight away. You usually only get 1 of those a year if you're lucky. Judd, Selwood, Fyfe came on quickly but Kennedy, Stevie J, Ablett etc took their time. With a mid who is currently predominantly outside, you'll have a greater chance of them impacting e.g. Gaff over someone who is more inside e.g. Sheed

Petracca, Brayshaw and maybe Pickett stand out as those that can play inside and outside and who may be able to impact in their first year but without a top 5 pick we may have to wait a while.

If he slides would love Laverde. We need more size in our mids both inside and out. Our biggest deficiency going forward in my mind is goals, speed and footskills through the middle. I would say at AFL level laverde has above average footskills, is a great mark and kicks goals. Worst case scenario i see him ending up as a very good half back or half forward but with the ability to turn into a smart goal kicking wingman who can run through the centre.

Wishful thinking trying to find an inside/outside mid with elite disposal who'll come in and dominate straight away. You usually only get 1 of those a year if you're lucky. Judd, Selwood, Fyfe came on quickly but Kennedy, Stevie J, Ablett etc took their time. With a mid who is currently predominantly outside, you'll have a greater chance of them impacting e.g. Gaff over someone who is more inside e.g. Sheed

Petracca, Brayshaw and maybe Pickett stand out as those that can play inside and outside and who may be able to impact in their first year but without a top 5 pick we may have to wait a while.

Again, outside those top three you mentioned, this brings us back to Cockatoo. It's a gamble but with our age structure, perhaps that's what we need.

I like Duggan again , I think being a lower age then most and his good skills and his professionalism and ability to move into the midfield could see him at WCE . Call me safety first but wouldn't mind Weller also for his pace , Laverde probably the best of the lot but just think we haven't considered him a chance at our pick . Will be a test for the recruiters tomorrow .

If we do select him I think he could play a role similar to what embers did - a taller outside midfielder who can rest forward and be dangerous.
That's correct and how he will be used as in that game v Sa ,he started in the midfield but struggled to get into game and was sent fwd and was brilliant kicking 4 goals with the only doubt being the guy he played on Jack Hayes a fwd being tried as a defender .
I think Laverde has a big tank I recall Shifter saying it but forgot the numbers now .

That's correct and how he will be used as in that game v Sa ,he started in the midfield but struggled to get into game and was sent fwd and was brilliant kicking 4 goals with the only doubt being the guy he played on Jack Hayes a fwd being tried as a defender .
I think Laverde has a big tank I recall Shifter saying it but forgot the numbers now .

I would have thought our forward line needed a quick, small crumber ahead of another resting mid?

If Laverde had elite disposal he'd be going top 2. His kicking is definitely a relative weakness.

Memo to Collingwood, GWS, Gold Coast and Geelong

Laverde's kicking is s**t

kthanxbai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back