Discussion on Pick #58 - Harry Dear

Remove this Banner Ad

There are other things you could try as evidence besides bits and pieces of footage, but it's not my place to give you advice considering I'm on the opposition's side.

Like what though. What information is actually available to me to prove that point?
I mean you can put a youtube video of him taking a mark to prove he took one, but can you prove he dropped 20 when nobody kept that footage?

Like what though. What information is actually available to me to prove that point?
I mean you can put a youtube video of him taking a mark to prove he took one, but can you prove he dropped 20 when nobody kept that footage?
Fine, why don't you try looking at the statistics of his opposition for example? See if there is a trend that suggests they are offered more freedom playing against us as opposed to other clubs. Like I said; if you feel that strongly about it then put some effort into proving it.

Fine, why don't you try looking at the statistics of his opposition for example? See if there is a trend that suggests they are offered more freedom playing against us as opposed to other clubs. Like I said; if you feel that strongly about it then put some effort into proving it.
"Discussion on Pick #58 - Harry Dear"

Are you guys having a discussion or an argument...because just so you know, you don't have to win a discussion.

Are you guys having a discussion or an argument...because just so you know, you don't have to win a discussion.
:confused: ...i don't get it guys

It's not about any draftee performance NOW .....it's about their upside and projection in 3-4 years time
No chance of anyone winning an argument ATS

Jenkins very rarely got easy goals because he was standing still. Most of the time it was because he read the play well enough to duck out back, and had the athleticism to be the first player back there. You can make a reasonable argument that Jenkins should try to stay in the contest more often, but that's not what you're doing.
Jenkins will live & die this year on his defensive efforts ......chase & tackle as he did in 2014 and despite any goal amount i am confident JJ will find himself in the SANFL side

I always find it amusing when people complain about threads supposedly going off topic without contributing anything to redirect it back on track.

If Harry succeeds in becoming an AFL player, and I hope he does, his role in the team is more than likely going to be the same as Jenkins', so discussing (or arguing:p) about the future of the incumbent isn't altogether off topic.

Besides if you have something new to share about Harry I'm more than happy to read it.;)

Hoping JJ can iron out his faults and be a good player for us - equally I'm happy that Lowden should be breathing down his neck and Dear will be developing

Bruise free footy is what I saw the SANFL side play twice last year, with a few exceptions

Hopefully that will change this year too

Notice how Dear Harry grows a centimetre from the beginning of the article to the end? I would hate to think how tall he is now! :) Good read though, and good excuse to bump his thread ;)

HARRY Dear’s first words to the media when arriving at Adelaide were music to the ears of new coach Phil Walsh.
“I like getting the hard ball and really competing,” he said.
“I try to give it a 100 per cent crack and like to get out there and give it my all.”
Dear clearly suits Walsh’s desire to recruit super-competitive players.
The 18-year-old is a physically-imposing 197cm and 98kg and lives up to his Norm Smith Medallist dad’s advice of “owning my space’’ on the football field.
“Dad told me to be a physical presence out on the ground and own your own space,” he said.
Taken at pick 58 from Sandringham Dragons at Thursday’s national draft, Dear became available to the Crows after being overlooked by Hawthorn as a father-son selection.
Dad Paul played 123 games and kicked 80 goals for the Hawks from 1987-96 and is best remembered for winning the 1991 Norm Smith Medal as best afield in the grand final win against West Coast.
Uncle Greg Dear played 137 games for Hawthorn and 53 for Richmond from 1985-96.
Both are premiership players, highlighting the strong football pedigree Harry hails from.
When the Hawks failed to nominate Harry as a father-son selection, the Crows pounced on him, with Walsh falling in love with his want to crash packs and be a strong physical presence.
The ruckman/forward said the Hawks’ decision to overlook him had not affected his outlook and that he was “happy to get on any AFL list”.
“This is a ripper club and I’m thrilled to be here,” Dear said.
Dear kicked 18 goals in nine games for Sandringham Dragons this year and also represented Vic Metro in three games in the Under-18 national championships before having a shoulder reconstruction in August.
“The shoulder is going well, I’m now able to do strength work, so it will be fine,” he said.
Walsh said Dear won him over after watching his highlights tape.
“There’s a couple of clips on his vision where he made some collisions and I thought ‘tell me more about this player, I’ve got to know about him’,’’ Walsh said.
Asked what golden rules his dad, Hawthorn’s 1991 Norm Smith Medallist Paul Dear, had passed on to him, Harry said “be a physical presence out on the ground and own your own space”.
“I like getting the hard ball and really competing,” Dear, 18, said. “I try to give it a 100 per cent crack and like to get out there and give it my all.”
Dear, 198cm and 97kg, cut an imposing figure when unveiled by Adelaide at training today.
Taken at pick 58 from Sandringham Dragons at Thursday’s national draft, Dear became available to the Crows after being overlooked by Hawthorn as a father-son selection.
The ruckman/forward said the Hawks’ decision to sign him had not affected his outlook and that he was “happy to get on any AFL list”.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-hard-ball-focus/story-fnia3xzy-1227140955469

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Notice how Dear Harry grows a centimetre from the beginning of the article to the end? I would hate to think how tall he is now! :) Good read though, and good excuse to bump his thread ;)

HARRY Dear’s first words to the media when arriving at Adelaide were music to the ears of new coach Phil Walsh.
“I like getting the hard ball and really competing,” he said.
“I try to give it a 100 per cent crack and like to get out there and give it my all.”
Dear clearly suits Walsh’s desire to recruit super-competitive players.
The 18-year-old is a physically-imposing 197cm and 98kg and lives up to his Norm Smith Medallist dad’s advice of “owning my space’’ on the football field.
“Dad told me to be a physical presence out on the ground and own your own space,” he said.
Dad Paul played 123 games and kicked 80 goals for the Hawks from 1987-96 and is best remembered for winning the 1991 Norm Smith Medal as best afield in the grand final win against West Coast.
Uncle Greg Dear played 137 games for Hawthorn and 53 for Richmond from 1985-96.
Both are premiership players, highlighting the strong football pedigree Harry hails from.
When the Hawks failed to nominate Harry as a father-son selection, the Crows pounced on him, with Walsh falling in love with his want to crash packs and be a strong physical presence.
The ruckman/forward said the Hawks’ decision to overlook him had not affected his outlook and that he was “happy to get on any AFL list”.
Dear kicked 18 goals in nine games for Sandringham Dragons this year and also represented Vic Metro in three games in the Under-18 national championships before having a shoulder reconstruction in August.
“The shoulder is going well, I’m now able to do strength work, so it will be fine,” he said.
Walsh said Dear won him over after watching his highlights tape.
“There’s a couple of clips on his vision where he made some collisions and I thought ‘tell me more about this player, I’ve got to know about him’,’’ Walsh said.
Asked what golden rules his dad, Hawthorn’s 1991 Norm Smith Medallist Paul Dear, had passed on to him, Harry said “be a physical presence out on the ground and own your own space”.
“I like getting the hard ball and really competing,” Dear, 18, said. “I try to give it a 100 per cent crack and like to get out there and give it my all.”
Dear, 198cm and 97kg, cut an imposing figure when unveiled by Adelaide at training today.
The ruckman/forward said the Hawks’ decision to sign him had not affected his outlook and that he was “happy to get on any AFL list”.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-hard-ball-focus/story-fnia3xzy-1227140955469

He also loses a kilogram from start to end.

I think he could make a killing off his knowledge of weight loss.

Oh, and notice how he loses a kg too. Maybe he should market his secret...how to get taller and lose weight in the space of one article. Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Harry!

Ah, you beat me to it! Good on you!

I saw both JJ and Dear down at Henley Square the other day... Must've been dining out together. To my eye, they looked just about the same height. What I did notice though was just how big/solid JJ was in comparison. Harry will need at least 2-3 years in the gym before he's anything like JJ.

FWIW, I'm a fan of JJ. He can be frustrating at times but so was Tippett, and JJ is about on 1/10th money and is nowhere near as big a dickhead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back