Family & Relationships Do you get on with your Siblings?

Remove this Banner Ad

outabounds

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 21, 2009
Lygon Street
AFL Club
Carlton
I have a brother and a sister. Have a good relationship with my sister , not super close but we are always regularly in contact and always share family events together. My brother on the other hand has always had it out for me, constantly been provocative, causing family issues and arguments. Pretty sure his wife thinks she is above the rest of the family (not really sure what she bases that on). He also literally bullies my elderly parents which horrifies me. All came to a head about 3 years ago when we argued at Christmas. It became slightly physical with some pushing a shoving. Had nothing to do with the campaigner ever since. Why do these family divisions occur and why are they so hard to resolve?

It's actually resentment, unresolved perceived conflict and projection but it amounts to the same thing.

Unfortunately children don't pop out with a manual and those bad parenting traits you learned from your own flawed parents will be passed to your children.

We could really do with lessons in high school on emotional maturity through disassociating circumstances.

I have a brother and a sister. Have a good relationship with my sister , not super close but we are always regularly in contact and always share family events together. My brother on the other hand has always had it out for me, constantly been provocative, causing family issues and arguments. Pretty sure his wife thinks she is above the rest of the family (not really sure what she bases that on). He also literally bullies my elderly parents which horrifies me. All came to a head about 3 years ago when we argued at Christmas. It became slightly physical with some pushing a shoving. Had nothing to do with the campaigner ever since. Why do these family divisions occur and why are they so hard to resolve?

I feel a lot of family issues are caused by partners entering the picture. Whether it's caused directly by them or not a new character in the eco system can always cause issues.

my mum died in childbirth and dad fell in with a bad crowd and my sister and i got separated at birth. i was raised by my uncle on a farm while my sister was adopted by a family with with political connections and grew up in a privileged life.

we didnt end up meeting until we were adults, and when we first met we didnt actually know we were brother and sister (we only kissed once thankfully, it could have got super awkward if we went any further). i only found out we were related when my dad (who we all thought was dead) came back onto the scene and told me.

in the end it all worked out though, my dad ended up turning on his boss while my sister got married to a pretty nice bloke named han.

Well enough. I'm the youngest of 4 (2 sisters and a brother, all older). We don't have all that much in common other than being Tasmanian and following the Kangas, but I don't have any complaints.

Not really. We didn't have the best family dynamic growing up, and my brother still carries a lot of baggage and resentment from that. Most of time our relationship is civil but not close. When he's in a bad space personally, he's prone to lashing out at me.

I continue to keep in touch with him in the hope that eventually he'll move past the childhood stuff and we'll be able build a better foundation of trust and respect. Unfortunately I think a lot of that is contingent on him getting on top of his drug use and mental health, which seems unlikely to happen any time soon.

my mum died in childbirth and dad fell in with a bad crowd and my sister and i got separated at birth. i was raised by my uncle on a farm while my sister was adopted by a family with with political connections and grew up in a privileged life.

we didnt end up meeting until we were adults, and when we first met we didnt actually know we were brother and sister (we only kissed once thankfully, it could have got super awkward if we went any further). i only found out we were related when my dad (who we all thought was dead) came back onto the scene and told me.

in the end it all worked out though, my dad ended up turning on his boss while my sister got married to a pretty nice bloke named han.
That nephew though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a sister, we are 2 years apart. I’ve never felt like she has liked me . A few months ago after an altercation she told me she no longer wishes to be in my life.

One level I’m relieved, the other sad.

Get on fine.

Always found family dynamics fascinating. I've got friends that moved out of home/bought houses with siblings, that would never be on my radar. Some grew up with siblings the same sex only a year or two apart and are thick as thieves, others already estranged by their 20s. Observing the previous generation (parents, uncles, aunties) noticed the same thing. Some are in contact every day or so 50 years after last living at home as a family, others are at each others throats and some haven't been in contact for a decade or more.

Been to a couple of weddings where siblings and/or parents of the bride/groom haven't been there which I thought was sad. Everyone has their own story I guess.

I have no siblings and I couldn't be happier about it tbh.
From third person observations, it appears a fair bit of sibling dysfunction comes from the parents rather than the kids themselves. My MIL's parenting is the sole reason there's problems between my Mrs and her younger sister.

My brother has a strange grudge/resentment with me. Not really sure why to be honest. Just a lack of respect and has no desire or interest to even engage in a conversation with me unless he is forced to. Not sure what went wrong really whether it was from the parenting side or what but yeah, it sucks. Seeing other friends get along with their siblings and have a good relationship hurts because I know I'll never really have that even though I do have a brother. It's weird because we are both still at home and I get along well with a lot of his friends but he just completely hates my guts. Only a 2.5 age gap too.

I feel a lot of family issues are caused by partners entering the picture. Whether it's caused directly by them or not a new character in the eco system can always cause issues.
Not sure about that. All my brother and sister in laws seem to fit in fine in extended family situations. Well there was one brother in law, that I never really warmed to, but guess my initial impressions were spot on as my sister divorced him. For her own weird reasons she married him when both our parents were on a trip overseas so for me that says more about my sister's poor choices there and thankfully she did not stay with him too long. However, it did lead her to live as far away from here as she can in Australia because he tried to track her down. I do not know the full story but when they got married he tried to be a bit of a control freak and try to stop her with her musical interests. Bit weird to try to stop someone singing or playing in bands. Somehow she extracted herself from that and she lives way up North and has for decades now. I visited her a couple of times and the man she been with since, is much better choice, but I'm not close to that sister. My other sister I get on much better with and her husband choice was much better. I probably get along with that brother in-law better than my own brothers but only catch up a few times a year like Christmas.

But overall I would say I get along with my siblings but not really close. Our interests seem different for the most part so do not share too much in common apart from have same parents.

My brother has a strange grudge/resentment with me. Not really sure why to be honest. Just a lack of respect and has no desire or interest to even engage in a conversation with me unless he is forced to. Not sure what went wrong really whether it was from the parenting side or what but yeah, it sucks. Seeing other friends get along with their siblings and have a good relationship hurts because I know I'll never really have that even though I do have a brother. It's weird because we are both still at home and I get along well with a lot of his friends but he just completely hates my guts. Only a 2.5 age gap too.
You probably did something years ago that really pissed him off. It was probably nothing to you, but for him it was a line crossed, whatever it was.

get on fine with my sister, we lived together once the parents sold the house for a couple years, she had already moved out before that, get on fine with the brother in law, even though he is a Port supporter and my wife and my sister get on like besties when they get together so all good, my in laws, nope but my sister in law is friendly to me

Haven't spoke to my brother in like, six months. No issues, just a combination of not much to say and not wanting to talk not in person. I find if we chat too much over messages or that, then when we do see each, there's not as much to say.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back