Do your local police need armoured fighting vehicles?

Remove this Banner Ad

Smiling Buddha

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Oct 17, 2007
Cultural Marxist Utopia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Do you reckon your local police station could use one of these bad boys?

20140409_crazy_0.png

They weigh about 20 tonnes (give or take) and can withstand multiple mine explosions as well as heavy fire. Not bad for $500,000 apiece.

See this video wherein the officer responsible for his station's new vehicle explains that his 10 full-time and 2 part-time officers need this kind of armour to protect them from the innocent 7,000 citizens in their local area.

Now you might ask why you should care that America's police are being blatantly militarised before our very eyes. First I would point out that we tend to follow their trends, albeit with some lag. This will be us soon enough if we don't wisen up soon. Second I would point out that if any s**t does go down in the US, the affect this will have on the global economy will have disastrous effects for every other Western nation, especially those with outrageously over-leveraged banks...

• Banned
We get it mate, you don't like the US.
Why is it so hard for you to focus on an issue rather than on personalities? Too much mind-numbing television is my guess. Anyway, please try to play the ball and not the man, my good man.

As for the US, I happen to love that country: what it was founded upon, the advances it has made for the rest of the world, so many of its beautiful and charming people.

Which is why it pains me to see it devolve into the corporacratic (approaching fascist) disaster it seems destined for. That our government is so close with theirs does not bode well for us, either.

How would you feel if you were sitting at the park with the meteorite display across from Maccas and one of those vehicles pictured earlier went rolling down Camms Rd? How would you explain that to your children?

Why is it so hard for you to focus on an issue rather than on personalities? Too much mind-numbing television is my guess. Anyway, please try to play the ball and not the man, my good man.

How would you feel if you were sitting at the park with the meteorite display across from Maccas and one of those vehicles pictured earlier went rolling down Camms Rd? How would you explain that to your children?

1. The only TV I watch is sport. No news, no reality TV, sport.
2. I couldn't give a s**t, its not going to happen anyway.

Hard to understand why a vehicle like that would be necessary in a civilian setting but it seems from an outsiders POV that there is something akin to an arms race within the USA between criminal elements and law enforcement.

The home protection/right to bear arms pro-gun lobby just adds another layer to it.

Hopefully things don't get to the point here where such armoury is even remotely considered

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SAPOL has a new security weapon, the Lenco Bearcat, a purpose-built V-8 diesel, turbo-powered 4WD armoured vehicle.

The US built, high-tech vehicle is designed to help police respond to a terrorist threat, hostage incident or high risk situation where ballistic protection is needed.

It is designed to recover seriously injured people who may be helpless and unprotected at a major incident.

The $400,000 Bearcat was provided to SAPOL by the Australian Government as part of its ongoing strategy to increase the nation's counter-terrorism capability.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.131347646942586.31824.101740356569982

250626_131347740275910_5009847_n.jpg

Police having armored fighting vehicles.
Why would that never happen here? We already have armoured personnel carriers in every state and territory.

bearcat2.jpg

Victoria Police have been handed the keys of a $400,000 high tech armoured vehicle.

Named the Bear Cat, the U.S built vehicle will be used to combat violent incidents such as sieges and acts of terror.

The Federal Government has now bought one for every State and Territory.
http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breakin...moured-vehicle-to-arsenal/20130411-2hmv1.html

905120-bearcat.jpg

'Bearcat' has an impressive list of features which includes gun ports, rotating roof hatch, two electric winches, emergency light/sirens, spot/flood lights, battering ram, tear gas deployment nozzle, thermal cameras, common remotely operated weapon station and protection against chemical, biological, radiological nuclear and high-yield explosives.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...r-fighting-force/story-fnhocxo3-1226635973176

643986--039-bear-039-joins-vic-police-force-with-a-growl.jpg

The first BearCat vehicles were supplied to the ACT, the Northern Territory and South Australia mid-2011, as part of a national counter-terrorism committee project and will be provided to every state and territory.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...rce-with-a-growl/story-fn3dxiwe-1226618168017

Do you reckon your local police station could use one of these bad boys?

20140409_crazy_0.png

They weigh about 20 tonnes (give or take) and can withstand multiple mine explosions as well as heavy fire. Not bad for $500,000 apiece.

See this video wherein the officer responsible for his station's new vehicle explains that his 10 full-time and 2 part-time officers need this kind of armour to protect them from the innocent 7,000 citizens in their local area.

Now you might ask why you should care that America's police are being blatantly militarised before our very eyes. First I would point out that we tend to follow their trends, albeit with some lag. This will be us soon enough if we don't wisen up soon. Second I would point out that if any s**t does go down in the US, the affect this will have on the global economy will have disastrous effects for every other Western nation, especially those with outrageously over-leveraged banks...

Nice.......The USA (in some parts) at the moment is in a police state some would say. I do agree that it is only a matter of time before this reaches our shores.......scary thought.

Its like the Police over there are gearing up for something big. They will need vehicles like this when they take away the gun laws over there. Just looking at the pic, looks like something you will find in the Middle East at the moment

Nice.......The USA (in some parts) at the moment is in a police state some would say. I do agree that it is only a matter of time before this reaches our shores.......scary thought.
nah it'd never happen here mate not in a million years
Its like the Police over there are gearing up for something big. They will need vehicles like this when they take away the gun laws over there. Just looking at the pic, looks like something you will find in the Middle East at the moment
That is because it is from the Middle East. They 'recycle' these vehicles from combat zones into the hands of local police forces just like they recycle war veterans into the police forces.

And they certainly are gearing up for something big over. Just look at how many rounds of ammo the DHS is purchasing.

America is a very different place than here.
Most of TV comes from America, our richest AFl clubs go to America to learn training techniques, as do our military and police.We rely on their pharmaceutical companies. We invade the same countries they do, for the same reasons. Our younger generations rely on their fashion lead and so it goes on. Along with America we are the biggest problem in the way of addressing global warming. We treat the sovereign owners of our countries the same way.

nah it'd never happen here mate not in a million years

That is because it is from the Middle East. They 'recycle' these vehicles from combat zones into the hands of local police forces just like they recycle war veterans into the police forces.

And they certainly are gearing up for something big over. Just look at how many rounds of ammo the DHS is purchasing.

Also reported elsewhere, at the height of the Iraq War the Army was expending less than 6 million rounds a month. Therefore 1.6 billion rounds would be enough to sustain a hot war for 20+ years. In America.

Food for thought,

P.S, I love these threads keep them coming

You're generally a good poster, but your posts seem to be all going in the same direction lately.
Why is it so hard to focus on a message rather than the messenger?

It is almost like even our more educated and intelligent people have been trained to get distracted by the trivial and lose focus on the important.

Yes, but the common thread of your posts lately has caused me to question your objectivity, which dilutes the value I assign to your posts.

I agree that militarising police is unnecessary and shouldn't happen (albeit for what I assume to be different reasons than you). But to assert that our culture mirrors that of the US to the extent that similar things will happen here is tenuous as best. We do not have the same gun/weapon oriented culture that the US have, and I'd like to think that the potential for widespread civil unrest (which I guess is the underlying justification for providing such tools to civilian police) is far less here than it is in the US.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back