Society/Culture Does the Australian flag have an image problem?

Remove this Banner Ad

When I look at the sort of people who wrap themselves in our flag I honestly don't see a lot to be proud of, cookers, Pauline Hanson, Christian Nationalists, Morrison and his face mask, the Australia/ANZAC day flag as a cape crowd. These people certainly don't represent the best of us and yet they seem to have co-opted our national symbol as their own leading some people to be a touch reticent in displaying it lest they be lumped in with these type of people. Does our flag have an image problem?

A bit like the greens have an image problem.
The shoe horn theory has a lot of relevance.
This board panders to a different set of extremists and thinks its making the world a better place.
Just because you haven't read every robin deangelo book, or sided with yassmin, lumumba or Liz cambage, doesn't make you a flag waving cape wearing bigot.
The shoe horn theory.
Im all for changing the flag, but to what?

The flag is an embarrassment with the Union Jack sitting in the corner.
Get ourselves a new flag
No doubt there will be a group who for years after continue to proudly display the old rag. Much like the Confederate flag pride of the US

This board panders to a different set of extremists and thinks its making the world a better place.
Just because you haven't read every robin deangelo book, or sided with yassmin, lumumba or Liz cambage, doesn't make you a flag waving cape wearing bigot.
The shoe horn theory.
... do you mean the Horse Shoe theory?

It does, but the underlying problem is the lack of empathy in Australian society and the triumphalism of some people in the demographic majority (by which I mean any of the majorities regarding race, religion, gender, sexuality, physical /mental ability). Just changing the flag by itself won't do anything substantial, Australian society itself needs to improve.

I can take criticism, when it's intelligent.
Also the context, I'm talking about this board in general.
It's also reflective of certain fringes of society at large.
Also I'm sure plenty of right wingers would put head in sand and claim the OP to be unintelligent.

Last edited:
The shoe horn theory.
I don't know what a shoe horn theory is.
I detest cambage, don't give a rat's about Lumumba and Mageid is largely irrelevant to me other than she did a great job exposing the hypocrisy of the "pHrEeE zPeAtCh" wailers.

I'm also not a flag Cape wearing bigot either. Quite the opposite in fact.

I Do believe in making the world better. I would've thought that's something everyone should want? 🤷‍♂️

see how much BS your little pigeon hole views are?
one can simultaneously not give a flog about your 3 mentioned people and still not be a southern cross tattooed simpleton 👍

I think the flag, and even more so the southern cross, gives those without much culture and identity, something they believe is real and sacred to rally behind.

I find most national flags to be pretty pointless. Same goes for national anthems.
I think those who obsess about them as something sacred, probably don't have a great deal going for them.
A grand majority of flags and anthems don't have any deep rooted tradition or history anyway and are broadly modern inventions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't think it promotes blind nationalism and an unhealthy attachment to symbols?
In some outlying cases, reclaim Australia, PHON, the short-lived uptick in nationalism of the late 2000s.

If it gives others a sense of identity and pride I don’t see it as a bad thing, for the most part.

There's nothing particularly wrong with people taking pride in their flag.
I never said it did. My issue is with people taking it as some sacred cow that everyone must pay respect to, or as a promotion of unreasonable levels of nationalism. The Americans are a great example of this with their fetishisation of their flag.

I'm sure you wouldn't denigrate Aboriginals who do the same.
I haven't denigrated anyone for doing so, so I don't understand why you've brought this idea in. They're allowed to have any symbols they want. Mind you, they're not a sovereign nation, so the context is very different.

it looks like a design I've seen that could possibly be a change of flag option. Would be ironic for you if I'm right, but just on the flag and the design, I like it.
How is it ironic? Am I not allowed to like a design if I don't like the idea of blind nationalism or an unhealthy attachment to symbols?

How is it ironic? Am I not allowed to like a design if I don't like the idea of blind nationalism or an unhealthy attachment to symbols?
Here we are having a discussion about the flag - you've expressed a dislike for blind nationalism or an unhealthy attachment to symbols, despite having what appears to be an alternative Australian flag as your avatar - or one that I've seen almost identical to that. I could be wrong there but... It seems ironic to me.

Here we are having a discussion about the flag - you've expressed a dislike for blind nationalism or an unhealthy attachment to symbols, despite having what appears to be an alternative Australian flag as your avatar - or one that I've seen almost identical to that. I could be wrong there but... It seems ironic to me.
Oh okay, so I'm not allowed to like a design if I think people take certain symbols too seriously. Glad we cleared that up. I will cease having opinions about football club guernseys as well since they're also designs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back