News Dom Cassisi to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Dom had a very good start to the season - he was easily in our best 22. in fact his fitness and form decline mirrored the teams.
He will be sorely missed come finals. Dom was definitely not gifted his last game.

The very definition of "team player" and "leading by example". Can't get to the game this weekend (something to do with being in Budapest!) but I'll be in Italy tomorrow night and I was already planning to knock back a few decent wines ... make that a few more than usual.

#thanksdom
#isdomisgood

And if he is good enough? There are worse players then Dom out there every week.
Dom is clearly in our current best 22. The only question was that he was starting to get to a level where he was only just better than the kids in the SANFL, and when you get to that point it starts to become clear that you need to play the kids over someone who'll only play 1 more year at best. As such it is an unselfish call from Dom, and a good move for our list. He deserves a game on Sunday and I hope he plays a ripper to bring an end to a very good career.

I am really p'eed off at the moment, and was even before this. It is my grand-daughters first birthday this Sunday and I have been fighting tooth (yes I have some) and nail to get there even before this announcement.

Not happy but I am pretty sure I have other Port supporters who can use my tickets.

Go to the game anyway :)

It's not like she will remember her 1st birthday anyway, and in years to come just tell her you were there.

Thanks for everything Dom. Sensible move to step aside now and allow one more spot for players of the future as we finish up 2014. Fitness allowing you are still probably in our 1st 22 but the writing has been very much on the wall and you go with honour.

The very definition of "team player" and "leading by example". Can't get to the game this weekend (something to do with being in Budapest!) but I'll be in Italy tomorrow night and I was already planning to knock back a few decent wines ... make that a few more than usual.

#thanksdom
#isdomisgood
You lucky, lucky b.........

Thanks for everything Dom. I'm glad he has been playing during our resurgence. After being Captain during the dark days I'm glad he has been around when things have gotten better.

And if he is good enough? There are worse players then Dom out there every week.
If he is good enough, why is he retiring early and ******* us on the eve of finals

Thats what I mean, he's either getting a sympathy game, or why is he leaving at this time? We're a finals side, not a bottom four team trying to get games into the kids

While he's slowed down the last few seasons, always liked seeing him play a role for us. Always loved his tackling and pressure in defence.

And as an 04' premiership player, he was a bit of an untouchable, a remnant of a wonderful era.

Captained the club through hard times, he never got the credit he deserved back then, worked his a** off to keep us in games many times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An absolute champion of our club. Will be sad not seeing him strut his stuff for our club in the future but he has always been there and stoop up when the chips were down. Loved his honest, hard footy. Good luck in the future and hopefully yyou remain involved with the club in some capacity.

If he is good enough, why is he retiring early and ******* us on the eve of finals

Thats what I mean, he's either getting a sympathy game, or why is he leaving at this time? We're a finals side, not a bottom four team trying to get games into the kids
Good enough doesn't mean the body can ke going, the training through the week and the hurt after the game takes it's toll after thirty. He's got a game or two left on the tank but knows he can't push much more out without long term damage.
It's a bloody hard reality to face as a sportsman, but a reality it is, the convenience of a season ending makes no difference to the body.

Good enough doesn't mean the body can ke going, the training through the week and the hurt after the game takes it's toll after thirty. He's got a game or two left on the tank but knows he can't push much more out without long term damage.
It's a bloody hard reality to face as a sportsman, but a reality it is, the convenience of a season ending makes no difference to the body.
And thats cool too, but then if his body is shot, why is he getting another game this week when we're trying to build for finals? He's already at the end of his rope to the point that he's retiring - does that sound AFL ready to you?

And thats cool too, but then if his body is shot, why is he getting another game this week when we're trying to build for finals? He's already at the end of his rope to the point that he's retiring - does that sound AFL ready to you?
It's not during the game it hurts. During the game you feel like a king. It's after when you try to hold your kids or your wife, when you can't get up the stairs and sleep on a mattress downstairs, when you don't sleep for days because every position you sleep in hurts after ten minutes, when your hands are shaking trying to eat a nice dinner. It's ******* hard, watch his retirement 'speech'.

He seems to be retiring when he knows he can put in for his last game rather than have a gimme when he's completely shot.

Last edited:
Quality person, left nothing on the field.

Sad to see him go, but as always he has done the team thing with this decision.

Will miss you Dom.

Thanks for everything you did for the PAFC Dom.

Such a strong leader in such hard times and your in and under work that gets taken for granted (especially on here) will be sorely missed.

Best of luck for the future.

:cry:after seeing Dom's farewell speech it bought me tears, I've turned into a emotional softie as I get older, Dom's emotion and genuine love for the club and playing group makes me love and respect him even more, I hope the boys take his farewell onboard and seize every opportunity going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back