Dons more likely to avoid doping ban, says lawyer

Remove this Banner Ad

Things need to be fixed and a few arses severely kicked, if we've done anything stupid coaches and officials may be sacked. But don't give me sanctimonuous bullshit, any supporter in our position would be sticking up for players. You're a complete liar if you say otherwise.
sanctimonuous bullshit..............WTF? Put the pipe down.

I actually feel sorry for the players, I don't however have the same confidence as you have that blaming ASADA will make things right.

It appears from the outside that the players have made no attempt to source information about the legalities of what they were taking. Mostly under instruction from people who didn't want them to go asking questions.....What's that called again..................."Poor Governance".

They didn't ask managers or the AFLPA. I would think that if they are going to blame ASADA then they would have to demonstrate that they have actually attempted to get clarification from ASADA.

Now pick the pipe back up and continue.

So if it was Coll'wood you seriously would agree that the players should be suspended?

My belief is that any player taking banned suppliments should be suspended. A reduced penalty may be appropriate however.

I'm putting it there for the record. I'd certainly agree some of the information is contradictory but the line "AOD-9604 is not currently a WADA prohibited substance" is of note.

Context my friend.

A substance doesn't necessarily need to be on the WADA prohibited substance list in order for it to be illegal to use in a professional sports scenario.

I would wonder how many athletes would look for this information on the site of the Australian Crime Commission however.

Why would a player in possession of one of these need to go and consult the Australian Crime Commision website of all places?

This entire line of reasoning emanating from the EFC, is utterly farcical.

1_1_1_1304consentform353-300x0.jpg

And the point the lawyer was making was that ACC has said this info was posted on advice given by ASADA.

This.

Regardless of club, Essendon/Melbourne/other, nobody will be banned for this.

ASADA is an absolute joke, and the time they've spent piss farting around has given golden time to any club/player to take care of any "irregular practises" that may have been going on.

So asking the doctor/sports scientist/coaches is it ok. Then signing forms and maybe , just maybe saying i'll call ASADA and the club may have said "no, no we've already done that."

Some then may have consulted website and saw 'yep not banned'. Do you expect all footballers to have to look at subsection s0 or s2?

Isn't this in some way responsible?

Nope.

Under a policy of 'strict liability', the player will still be pinged and banned. Thats literally what 'strict liability' means. The ASADA code is crystal clear on that point.

Ask yourself this: Should an athlete about to be injected with a substance not yet approved for human therapaeudic use, and designed to bulk him up/ burn fat/ aid in recovery or whatever honestly claim 'no fault or negligence' simply because his club/ coach told him it was OK to take?

Imagine the precedent that would set! An athlete could avoid a ban simply by claiming that his coach told him it was OK to use. (Which is precisely why the strict liability rule exists). The ASADA code and strict liability is designed to be harsh. Draconian even.

Its designed that way to stop just such a thing from occurring as what has happened at Essendon.

Of course, then the banned player (who relied on misleading advice from his club) sues the s**t out of his club for negligence (loss of earnings and reputation).

Essendon are in some serious (serious) strife here.

I actually feel sorry for the players, I don't however have the same confidence as you have that blaming ASADA will make things right.

It appears from the outside that the players have made no attempt to source information about the legalities of what they were taking. Mostly under instruction from people who didn't want them to go asking questions.....What's that called again..................."Poor Governance".

They didn't ask managers or the AFLPA. I would think that if they are going to blame ASADA then they would have to demonstrate that they have actually attempted to get clarification from ASADA.

can you pass it to me?

Added to Vlad's "no points will deducted" and "don't think it will be fair to ban players if they weren't at fault" , I think the players are looking ok to avoid suspension.....and the club to go on and win the flag.

Of course governance will need to be improved and fine could be big but nothing a big family day can't pay. Much to the chagrin of the many many trolls on here. Isn't there an amazing amount of posters with under 200 posts who have just come out of the woodwork like hungry wolves baying for blood. Pathetic.

Yeah a couple of snags should cover it :D

Essendon supporters, are any of you actually concerned about the well being of the players on your list or with dodging a bullet so to speak?

I worry for the health of every player on every list. While this entire saga will see very little action against players in terms of bans, I do hope at the very least that it's done it's part in cleaning up the game. The silver lining in all of this.

I'm putting it there for the record. I'd certainly agree some of the information is contradictory but the line "AOD-9604 is not currently a WADA prohibited substance" is of note.

I would wonder how many athletes would look for this information on the site of the Australian Crime Commission however.

Or how they could rely on the report while injecting the s**t over a year before the ACC report was even published.

Well assurances from the club that it was WADA compliant. What if club said it's all been signed off , no need to call. Based on Vlad's comments on radio yesterday seems he seems to think so as well.

Even WADA had to clarify a few days ago because of the confusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I worry for the health of every player on every list. While this entire saga will see very little action against players in terms of bans, I do hope at the very least that it's done it's part in cleaning up the game. The silver lining in all of this.

As long as the Bombers are not impeded on their march to premiership glory.

Well assurances from the club that it was WADA compliant. What if club said it's all been signed off , no need to call. Based on Vlad's comments on radio yesterday seems he seems to think so as well.

Under the ASADA rules, when a Club tells a Player that a substance is 100% ASADA compliant, the player takes it, and it later turns out not to be OK, the player gets banned.

Player then sues the s**t out of the Club.

Under the ASADA rules, when a Club tells a Player that a substance is 100% ASADA compliant, the player takes it, and it later turns out not to be OK, the player gets banned.

Player then sues the s**t out of the Club.
a lot of assumption there Malifice. But then, you've been pretty hot on it. Lots of black and white for you

Or how they could rely on the report while injecting the s**t over a year before the ACC report was even published.

How can you not understand the link being made.

It isn't what you think it is, it is the ACC stating they got that information from ASADA.

Baz do you honestly think Carlton have only been injecting vitamens to your boys?

When this first broke Carrazzo said in a presser that players order supplements online but the club checks it off. Wonder if Carrazzo has read all the subsections of the code.

And what would ASADAs advice been?

ASADA wouldnt have given any advice as to any substances either OK or otherwise.

The former Chairman Ings stated that its ASADA policy (and for very good reason).

The harshness of the ASADA code (strict liability) is supposed to keep athletes both paranoid, and vigilant and stop exactly what we are seeing happen here... from happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back