List Mgmt. Draft Watch 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

We all have absolutely no idea do we :)

Whomever we get will be probably one gun and one above average with picks as low as 9 and 13.

I for one will back our recruiters, we seem to do pretty well in the draft in recent years - expect to see us all talking up whomever we get !!

HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Told you it would be a 1st for this board!!:p

Can anyone think of a bigger surprise first round draft pick?

A Bulldogs mate of mine suggested Christian Howard at 15 in in 2009
Dean Towers to Sydney at 22 in 2012?
Blaine Boekhorst to Carlton at 19 in 2014?

Not saying he'll end up like those, but just that it is unusual for someone to fly that much under the radar. Any other surprise early picks anyone can think of?

Listening to Ogilvie's chat to MMM pre-draft he said their list of preferences was set on Friday after they received some medical information on a player. Must have received bad news on Burton.
it would surely be the only reason we didnt pick him but then again Hawthorn are so professional and they didnt hesitate

it would surely be the only reason we didnt pick him but then again Hawthorn are so professional and they didnt hesitate
I guess Hawthorn can afford to keep him on the list ala Lowden for ages and not need to make a move.

Burton's surgeon who would have been done many post-surgery checkups isn't a hawthorn life member and a member of their past players committee. Medical information is confidential but a simple "Hey Liptak, you've spent a lot of time with Burton, would you draft him in the first round?" would probably give you the answer you want.

Burton's surgeon who would have been done many post-surgery checkups isn't a hawthorn life member and a member of their past players committee. Medical information is confidential but a simple "Hey Liptak, you've spent a lot of time with Burton, would you draft him in the first round?" would probably give you the answer you want.
And would be a complete breach of doctor-patient-confidentiality.

Liptak is/was completely unable to release any information regarding Burton's treatement without Burton's express permission. That said, once the permission is given, I have no doubt that Liptak would happily give Adelaide more detailed information than he would to the other clubs.

I guess Hawthorn can afford to keep him on the list ala Lowden for ages and not need to make a move.
Like Sam Grimley who they finally rissoled at season's end this year, and getting to watch a few VFL games on what I've seen Grimley is an infinitely better Ruck/Forward than Lowden, topped the VFL goal kickers list the last 3 or 4 years.

And would be a complete breach of doctor-patient-confidentiality.

Liptak is/was completely unable to release any information regarding Burton's treatement without Burton's express permission. That said, once the permission is given, I have no doubt that Liptak would happily give Adelaide more detailed information than he would to the other clubs.

It's not a breach of doctor-patient-confidentiality if you don't ask for any medical information, just his opinion on his draft ability, that could also be a question about his personality and professional attitude in their meetings, in the same way recruiters ask teachers about players but wouldn't ask to see their grades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not a breach of doctor-patient-confidentiality if you don't ask for any medical information, just his opinion on his draft ability, that could also be a question about his personality and professional attitude in their meetings, in the same way recruiters ask teachers about players but wouldn't ask to see their grades.
It is a breach of doctor-patient-confidentiality, because you're asking him for a medical opinion on one of his patients. You're asking him to discuss information, even if it's only opinion, formed as a result of the patient seeking medical treatment. That's a no-go zone.

The whole problem goes away if the player voluntarily allows the doctor to release information regarding his treatment, but the doctor cannot discuss any aspect of it (even an opinion) without the player's permission.

Teachers don't have the same confidentiality rules that Doctors and Lawyers do. Not the same at all.

It is a breach of doctor-patient-confidentiality, because you're asking him for a medical opinion on one of his patients. You're asking him to discuss information, even if it's only opinion, formed as a result of the patient seeking medical treatment. That's a no-go zone.

The whole problem goes away if the player voluntarily allows the doctor to release information regarding his treatment, but the doctor cannot discuss any aspect of it (even an opinion) without the player's permission.

Teachers don't have the same confidentiality rules that Doctors and Lawyers do. Not the same at all.

The point is your not asking for medical information, not even an opinion of medical information. You are not asking "how is burton's knee?", you are asking him for a character reference, asking him "what do you think of the kid, would you take him with a first round pick?", the question is about the entire package, could be about his personality, attitude. But if Liptak said "no I wouldn't take him in the first round but don't want to go into my reasons" you would probably take a hint.

You can't ask a doctor if your partner has herpes, but your doctor is allowed to advise you to wear a condom.

The point is your not asking for medical information, not even an opinion of medical information. You are not asking "how is burton's knee?", you are asking him for a character reference, asking him "what do you think of the kid, would you take him with a first round pick?", the question is about the entire package, could be about his personality, attitude. But if Liptak said "no I wouldn't take him in the first round but don't want to go into my reasons" you would probably take a hint.

You can't ask a doctor if your partner has herpes, but your doctor is allowed to advise you to wear a condom.
Of course you're asking him for an opinion on the medical information he's received as a result of Burton's treatment. What other possible interpretation could there possibly be for asking a doctor for an opinion about a player?

You said it yourself - Liptak would have to qualify it with "but don't want to go into my reasons". This is precisely why this line of questioning is completely inappropriate. Liptak would be completely unprofessional to give that kind of information, and could even put his medical license at risk in giving it.

And no, your doctor can't advise you to use a condom if your partner has herpes. They can't disclose medical information about another patient.

Of course you're asking him for an opinion on the medical information he's received as a result of Burton's treatment. What other possible interpretation could there possibly be for asking a doctor for an opinion about a player?

You said it yourself - Liptak would have to qualify it with "but don't want to go into my reasons". This is precisely why this line of questioning is completely inappropriate. Liptak would be completely unprofessional to give that kind of information, and could even put his medical license at risk in giving it.

And no, your doctor can't advise you to use a condom if your partner has herpes. They can't disclose medical information about another patient.
And we all live in a perfect world too.

I can't believe that people are still harping on about Burton. We obviously had concerns around that leg and the longevity in the game. Do people really think that we would overlook a supremely talented local kid who would have gone top 5 this year if not for the injury concerns even though we were obviously looking for a marking forward with one of our picks in an ideal world?

C'mon people, the leg is a major concern. The club has proved that they are not scared of picking kids that have missed a year with a serious injury if they think that there are no long term issues associated with it. We picked Lever (pick 14), Davis (pick 10), B. Crouch (traded top 10 pick + compo pick to get pick 2 in the mini draft)...etc.

It's pretty obvious we were scared of by the medical. When you read things like, "car crash type injury", "had to re-piece his knee together", "hoping that scar tissue replaces cartilage" etc.... that's some serious risk. i said before the draft that teams like Hawthorn and Freo can take a risk because they are up there and can try and bank one for the future and see if it pans out or Carlton who had a million picks in the tip 30.

I am comfortable that we overlooked him and comfortable with Doedee selection. Time will be the judge.

Which can surely be waived with Ryan's permission. If we go and speak to Liptak, and say "Hey Doc, we're looking at Ryan, what do you think?", he says "sorry, can't tell you, secret mens' business". Then we ask Ryan if he minds if the doctor tells us what he's said, and he declines... it's ringing alarm bells. If he is all clear, there's no way he would prevent us from talking to him.

Meaningless to an extent.... Personally I'd prefer my surgeon to not be someone who failed Year 12!
Are you inferring that getting good marks in Year 12 subjects that have no correlation with Surgery - AT ALL - would make someone more preferable as a surgeon after they had studied Medicine ... than someone that got lesser marks in those irrelevant subjects in Year 12?

Wouldn't you only judge them as preferable on the skill they were going to perform?

Hell I would much rather the surgeon that was the best performing surgeon, rather than the surgeon that was good at Maths exams when he/she was 16 years old !!!

If you are correlating picking the best surgeon on their Year 12 marks - I reckon you need another analogy :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back