Mod. Notice Draft Watch Volunteers

Remove this Banner Ad

I liked the look of Hammelmann too, big lad with plenty of scope, I'd take him before the Victorian KPP McCartin their pumping the tyres up of currently.

McCartin's far less of a risk. We know what he can do and we know what he's going to be. Hammelmann might have a high ceiling but with where he's at development wise he's a serious risk. I'd much rather favour McCartin.

Players with his issues don't get a chance unless they're elite talents. Watchman isn't. Rookie at best and even then it's doubtful. Most of his dominance has been from just being that much bigger than everyone else - in terms of natural mental ability he's a bit lacking. That said you can still make a good career as without having smarts.

I just don't see from a game point of view what Watchman offers. His one game in the state champs he could not have been a bigger tree-stump, and for a kid who's already fairly big he should be able to physically impose on games.

He has a good support network around him to get through some problems that a lot of 18 year olds have.

Kicked a few goals and played well for West Magoos the other week against the Magpies.

If we are looking for a 197cm swingman late. He's the man. Boom or bust yes, but who isnt from round 3 onwards

Watched the replay of WA and wouldn't be disappointed if we used our first or second rounder on Garlett thats for sure. Silky, fast, smooth mover, very good kick, good awareness and tackling, quick hands. Love the look of him and I really hope the Crows are keen on him.

Others to catch my eye were Lim off the half back flank for WA, quick and beautiful kick which a bit of ferociousness about him. Would be a quality pickup.
Hugh Goddard. I think he will be a very good CHB in the AFL and wouldn't be disappointed if he landed at the Crows. Good in the air marking, strong in one on one contests, agile, good pace for a big guy, pretty good kick (better than Talia's at any rate). Really liked his game.
Webb for Vic Country looks like he will be an AFL player. Not sure on his exact position he will develop into but you could bank on him becoming a good player and therefore I would not be adverse to a third rounder going his way.
Of the rest, obviously Lamb, Pickett, Smith, McCartin and Cripps will be good players but I dont think any of them are going to be available for us and if they were I would probably still go for those I named above. Garlett, Goddard, Lim and Webb. Keep an eye on those four, going places.

Watched the replay of WA and wouldn't be disappointed if we used our first or second rounder on Garlett thats for sure. Silky, fast, smooth mover, very good kick, good awareness and tackling, quick hands. Love the look of him and I really hope the Crows are keen on him.

Others to catch my eye were Lim off the half back flank for WA, quick and beautiful kick which a bit of ferociousness about him. Would be a quality pickup.
Hugh Goddard. I think he will be a very good CHB in the AFL and wouldn't be disappointed if he landed at the Crows. Good in the air marking, strong in one on one contests, agile, good pace for a big guy, pretty good kick (better than Talia's at any rate). Really liked his game.
Webb for Vic Country looks like he will be an AFL player. Not sure on his exact position he will develop into but you could bank on him becoming a good player and therefore I would not be adverse to a third rounder going his way.
Of the rest, obviously Lamb, Pickett, Smith, McCartin and Cripps will be good players but I dont think any of them are going to be available for us and if they were I would probably still go for those I named above. Garlett, Goddard, Lim and Webb. Keep an eye on those four, going places.

Don't let Lim deceive you, he's a terrible kick. And as an outside mid that's a no-no especially when you consider the composition of our list.

Agree re: Goddard, think he's the best KPD in the crop but everyone seems to see him as a forward where he's a waste of space.

Don't let Lim deceive you, he's a terrible kick. And as an outside mid that's a no-no especially when you consider the composition of our list.

Agree re: Goddard, think he's the best KPD in the crop but everyone seems to see him as a forward where he's a waste of space.
Is this from seeing him in action all season? What I saw of his kicking in the Vic Country game wouldn't stand up to that theory, didn't see him miss one target all day, and most of his kicks were low, flat and lace out.

Is this from seeing him in action all season? What I saw of his kicking in the Vic Country game wouldn't stand up to that theory, didn't see him miss one target all day, and most of his kicks were low, flat and lace out.

Yeah until yesterday every time I've seen Lim he's been clanger central. Had a howler when WA came to AAMI too.

Round 14 of the Victorian TAC U18's Comp resulted in many of the "highly' touted youngsters again showing out, notably Christian Petracca, Pat McCartin, Tom Lamb, Oscar McDonald, Jayden LaVerde, Liam Duggan, Jordan DeGoey, Taylor Grace, Angus Brayshaw, Peter Wright, Hugh Goddard etc.

http://boundforglorynews.com/tac-cup-round-14-review-2/

Dandenong Stingrays 12.15 (87) defeated Bendigo Pioneers 2.10 (22)
Dandenong goals: L.Williams 4, T.Joyce 4, D.Kempster, J.Holden, A.Wilson, J.Weitering
Bendigo goals: C.Oliver, J.Ryan
Dandenong best: L.Williams, A.Wilson, S.Geurts, B.Mullane, D.Kempster, M.White
Bendigo best: L.Barrett, J.Ryan, J.Brain, B.Evans, T.Cole, M.Chisari

BFGN Rising Star Medal Votes
5. Lachie Williams (Dandenong Stingrays)
4. Tom Lamb (Dandenong Stingrays)
3. Aaron Wilson (Dandenong Stingrays)
2. Blake Mullane (Dandenong Stingrays)
1. Billy Evans (Bendigo Pioneers)

Geelong Falcons 12.12.84 defeated Gippsland Power 8.8. 56
Geelong Goals: P. McCartin 6, P. Bright 2, H. Kol, R. Mathieson, M. Augerinos, D. Hodge
Gippsland Goals: T. Papley 2, C. Stockdale, A. Carr, C. Buykx-Smith, A. Di Ciero, T. Beck, D. Keilty
Geelong Best: J. Nelson, H. Goddard, P. McCartin, T. Miles, P. Bright, D. Parish
Gippsland Best: D. Keilty, L. Nash, G. Low, A. Di Ciero, T. Beck, T. Papley

BFGN Rising Stars Medal Votes
5. Patrick McCartin (Geelong Falcons)
4. Hugh Goddard (Geelong Falcons)
3. Rhys Mathieson (Geelong Falcons)
2. Darcy Parish (Geelong Falcons)
1. Josh Dunkley (Gippsland Power)

Sandringham Dragons 10.6 (66) defeated Calder Cannons 7.8 (50)
Calder Goals: Wright 4, Ahern, Miller, Cavka
Sandringham Goals: Clayton, Brayshaw, Wilkinson 2, Kelly, Dear, Grace, Neiwand
Calder Best: Wright, O’Kearney, Smith, Miller
Sandringham Best: Grace, Clayton, Brayshaw, Neiwand

BFGN Rising Stars Medal Votes
5. Taylor Grace (Sandringham Dragons)
4. Josh Clayton (Sandringham Dragons)
3. Peter Wright (Calder Cannons)
2. Angus Brayshaw (Sandringham Dragons)
1. Nick O’Kearney (Calder Cannons)

Oakleigh Chargers 13.15 (93) defeated Northern Knights 9.6 (60)
Oakleigh goals: J. De Goey 3, T. McLean 3, B. Crocker 2, L. Waddell, L. Patterson, A. Urban, K. Answerth, D. Moore
Northern goals: K. Malone 4, J. Gresham, L. Hunt, B. Fiorini, Z. Ballard, R. McKenzie
Oakleigh best: J. De Goey, H. Beasley, A. Urban, T. McLean, L. Waddell, B. Crocker
Northern best: K. Malone, B. Jordan, Z. Ballard, L. Hunt, J. Short, W. Murphy

BFGN Rising Stars Medal Votes:5. Jordan De Goey (Oakleigh Chargers)
4. Hugh Beasley (Oakleigh Chargers)
3. Kieran Malone (Northern Knights)
2. Alex Urban (Oakleigh Chargers)
1. Bailey Jordan (Northern Knights)

Murray Bushrangers 11.10 (76) defeated Western Jets 8.13 (61)
Murray Goals: L.Smith 2, M.Waite 2, J.Carroll 2, I.Muller, N.Coughlan, J.Schache, N.Mellington, C.Marchbank
Western Goals: J.Laverde 3, L.Duggan 2, C.Menadue, P.Manivong, J.Volpato
Murray Best: K.Ellis, B.Hodgson, C.Marchbank, N.Mellington, I.Muller, L.Smith
Western Best: B.Myers, J.Volpato, J.Laverde, L.Duggan, D.Viojo-rainbow, B.Monk

BFGN Rising Stars Medal Votes:
5. Nick Mellington (Murray Bushrangers)
4. Billy Myers (Western Jets)
3. Brydan Hodgson (Murray Bushrangers)
2. Caleb Marchbank (Murray Bushrangers)
1. Dillo Viojo-Rainbow (Western Jets)

Eastern Ranges 13.10 (88) defeated North Ballarat Rebels 7.7 (49)
Eastern Goals: C.Petracca 5, B.Hardwick 4, R.Phillips, S.Weideman, A.Cotte, D.Crocker
North Ballarat Goals: J.Palmer 2, T.Taurau, D.Butler, O.McDonald, J.Wheelahan, T.Templeton
Eastern Best: C.Petracca, A.Cotte, S.Weideman, L.Hannon, R.Harvey, B.Mitchener
North Ballarat Best: O.McDonald, R.Marshall, J.Palmer, J.O”Beirne, T.Templeton, L.McLeod

BFGN Rising Stars Medal Votes:
5. Christian Petracca (Eastern Ranges)
4. Oscar McDonald (North Ballarat Rebels)
3. Rowan Marshall (North Ballarat Rebels)
2. Aaron Cotte (Eastern Ranges)
1. Sam Weideman (Eastern Ranges)

Players with his issues don't get a chance unless they're elite talents. Watchman isn't. Rookie at best and even then it's doubtful. Most of his dominance has been from just being that much bigger than everyone else - in terms of natural mental ability he's a bit lacking. That said you can still make a good career as without having smarts.

I just don't see from a game point of view what Watchman offers. His one game in the state champs he could not have been a bigger tree-stump, and for a kid who's already fairly big he should be able to physically impose on games.

8 Marks and 4 goals 1 for Westies Reserves on the Weekend

8 Marks and 4 goals 1 for Westies Reserves on the Weekend

It's reserves though. He's shown enough to indicate that he's probably worth a 3rd-rookie pick and of course if he's moved on from his mental issues and interviews/tests well at the combine he'll be drafted.

He's just a very developed player as is and doesn't have the upside of other key position players in the crop. Really needs to get a game in seniors and show what he can do IMO as he really blew it in the champs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back