Vic E/W Link / Metro Rail / Large projects

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice work. You can post pictures. What drives your small mind to believe that was a troll? :rolleyes:
"Small mind" - another troll attempt? I'm offended. Deeply.

Please explain how welfare (controlled by the Federal Government) applies to a discussion thread on State Politics, and, in particular, funding for Public Transport??

"Small mind" - another troll attempt? I'm offended. Deeply.

Please explain how welfare (controlled by the Federal Government) applies to a discussion thread on State Politics, and, in particular, funding for Public Transport??
My apologies Jiska. I forgot which thread we were in. Obviously, I was thinking federally. I ****ed up.

Western Distributor given the go ahead by the Vic government; from the abc.

Western Distributor Project: New Melbourne toll road gets go ahead.

SUPPLIED: TRANSURBAN

The Victorian Government has formally committed to a new toll road, linking the West Gate Freeway to CityLink.

Western Distributor Project:Widen West Gate Fwy from 8 to 12 lanes between M80 and Williamstown RoadBuild a tunnel under Yarraville and a second Maribyrnong River crossingConstruct elevated road along Footscray RoadBuild 4.5km of new cycling and pedestrian pathsSource: Victorian Government

The project, proposed by Transurban, includes a tunnel under Yarraville and upgrades to the Monash Freeway.

The $5.5 billion project will be funded by tolls, as well as contributions by the state and federal governments.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the Victorian contribution to the project would be about $400 million - which roughly represents the cost of the Monash segment.

Mr Andrews said the project would save motorists 20 minutes travel time each day and take 6,000 trucks of the West Gate Bridge.

"Motorists will see an immediate travel time saving of up to 20 minutes a day - almost two hours a week Victorians can spend at home with family instead of stuck in traffic on the West Gate or Monash," he said.

The project is expected to create 5,600 new jobs, with construction set to begin in 2018 and completion slated for 2022.

Community consultation will begin next year

The Victorian Government has formally committed to a new toll road, linking the West Gate Freeway to CityLink.

Western Distributor Project:Widen West Gate Fwy from 8 to 12 lanes between M80 and Williamstown RoadBuild a tunnel under Yarraville and a second Maribyrnong River crossingConstruct elevated road along Footscray RoadBuild 4.5km of new cycling and pedestrian pathsSource: Victorian Government

The project, proposed by Transurban, includes a tunnel under Yarraville and upgrades to the Monash Freeway.

The $5.5 billion project will be funded by tolls, as well as contributions by the state and federal governments.

Premier Daniel Andrews said the Victorian contribution to the project would be about $400 million - which roughly represents the cost of the Monash segment.

Mr Andrews said the project would save motorists 20 minutes travel time each day and take 6,000 trucks of the West Gate Bridge.

"Motorists will see an immediate travel time saving of up to 20 minutes a day - almost two hours a week Victorians can spend at home with family instead of stuck in traffic on the West Gate or Monash," he said.

The project is expected to create 5,600 new jobs, with construction set to begin in 2018 and completion slated for 2022.

The first winners are the residents of Yarraville and Footscray. They would wear having a tunnel underneath if it meant Francis St and Somerville Road had no trucks on it.

That's lovely typical alp announcement as long as the feds stump up the majority of the cash which of course they haven't agreed to let alone only seen the proposals for a few days

The first winners are the residents of Yarraville and Footscray. They would wear having a tunnel underneath if it meant Francis St and Somerville Road had no trucks on it.
Only if they use the latest filtering technology which no one has confirmed

I would think ideally you would want to separate the Western Freeway traffic from the Princes Freeway traffic, and this does not do that. I fear that an accident between the Ring Road and the West Gate Bridge will have pretty much the same affect on Melbourne traffic after this project as it does now.

The Liberals are the ones responsible for this mess by signing a "contract so close to the last state election based on flawed advice." - to quote the AG.

An important plank in Andrews election platform was that that this poorly thought through and flawed EW Link project would not proceed. The Mad Monk even said before the election it was a referendum on the link. Andrews was elected and is now criticised for standing by an election promise.

Had the Liarberals done the honorable thing and waited a few weeks before rushing to sign a document based on "flawed advice" we wouldn't be in this position.

I guess when your Party have had millions shoveled into it's coffers and there are allegations into the pockets of a few of it's members, what's in the best interests of the community comes second. There's quite a lot to play out in this saga yet and it might just turn out to not reflect well on a few Liarberal high flyers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-09/auditor-general-reports-on-east-west-link-costs/7012618

The greatest amount of waste I have ever seen in politics, even worse considering Andrews is building effectively the same thing.

Yeah, the mug (AM) is right, it actually is the fault of the Libs. As much as I'd like to blame the most incompetent politician (Daniel Andrews) since Sarah Hanson-Young, that would be wrong. The Libs were out of order to sign off on the EW link, and use it as a political tool last election. It shown a lack of integrity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cannot believe that s*** of a rag herald sun is blaming andrews for this. I admit it was his decision to exit the contract but if it wasn't so hastily and dodgly put together by the previous govt this would've been averted/ come at a fraction of the cost.

Look Im starting to have reservations about andrews continuing to achieve infrastructure paid for on the"never never" in jeff kennett style

Where was the tender for managing the western distributor ? It seems to be already handed over to transurban and their predatory treatment of customers, so wheres the standards that public servants are expected to do when buiying a ream of paper.

The previous govt was pretty bad though

The problem was the project in the first place.

Never discussed openly.
Never met any sort of approval process in state or federal infrastructure departments.
Hurt residents, businesses and sporting groups in the affected suburbs.
Had no political mandate.

Andrews had limited responsibility for it. Get over it Tropper you Liberal luvvy.

The problem was the project in the first place.

Never discussed openly.
Never met any sort of approval process in state or federal infrastructure departments.
Hurt residents, businesses and sporting groups in the affected suburbs.
Had no political mandate.

Andrews had limited responsibility for it. Get over it Tropper you Liberal luvvy.
Also was financially a complete dog and would have lost the taxpayer far more than 1.2 Billion if it had gone ahead.

Yeah, the mug (AM) is right, it actually is the fault of the Libs. As much as I'd like to blame the most incompetent politician (Daniel Andrews) since Sarah Hanson-Young, that would be wrong. The Libs were out of order to sign off on the EW link, and use it as a political tool last election. It shown a lack of integrity.
Yeah, the moron Holly whatever has finally written something vaguely intelligent:p

Following is an extract from the AGs report. A more damning indictment of the Libs is hard to find.

Key decisions during the project planning, development and procurement phases
were driven by an overriding sense of urgency to sign the contract before the
November 2014 state election
The significant risks arising from this situation were
further compounded by legal challenges to the project and by the absence of
comprehensive advice on the potential benefits of deferring the signing of the
contract.

Signing the contract in these circumstances was imprudent and exposed the state
to significant cost and risk
. The risks associated with this decision were increased
when the state agreed to amend the contract to provide additional compensation to
EWC if the legal challenge to the project planning approval succeeded. The
available evidence suggests that the state knew at the time that there was a
significant risk that this would happen.

I see The Age is calling for O'Brien's resignation over it.

http://bit.ly/1NLv8bU

if labor is blamed for utensil ups including the desal plant and myki they can at least be rest assured they had something tangible at the end of it. This could've been a 10bn dollar white elephant though and in my opinion after the projected temperatures this summer i feel the desal plant wont be far off in the next year or so.

The Liberals are the ones responsible for this mess by signing a "contract so close to the last state election based on flawed advice." - to quote the AG.

An important plank in Andrews election platform was that that this poorly thought through and flawed EW Link project would not proceed. The Mad Monk even said before the election it was a referendum on the link. Andrews was elected and is now criticised for standing by an election promise.

Had the Liarberals done the honorable thing and waited a few weeks before rushing to sign a document based on "flawed advice" we wouldn't be in this position.

I guess when your Party have had millions shoveled into it's coffers and there are allegations into the pockets of a few of it's members, what's in the best interests of the community comes second. There's quite a lot to play out in this saga yet and it might just turn out to not reflect well on a few Liarberal high flyers.

Another important plank in Andrews election platform was that the contract could be ripped up at no cost because it was not worth the paper it was written on.

If Andrews uses the funds allocated for EW Link for Melbourne Metro Rail then that amount for damages will be worth every cent.

The EWL was a dog of a project as Ice-Wolf said. It was likely to return .45 cents for every dollar invested. It was purely a political tool used by the Liberal Government so they could have something to whinge about when they were in Opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back