Unofficial Preview Early Thoughts - Sydney Swans vs Hawthorn Grand Final Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 3 Biased Rats

Stay positive bedders, we're good enough to beat them without help from the umps.

2 of the 3 field umpires coming from our prelim for this one. So it shows has bad and biased the other were towards the other filth.
As long as they dont give their protected species (Roughie, Hodge Mitchell and just about every forward) free pings at goals for very soft stuff we will be fine.

They are never short of umpire assistance thats for sure. Hope this week its just FAIR for once

Put it this way..... 2 of the 3 umpires in the 2005 Grand Final were the ones who paid 5 Free Kicks to us for the entire Match in the Prelim against St Kilda which led Roos to send Hall to confront them at three quarter time.

Getting the umpires you want isn't always a good thing;)

I can see us either losing a close one or winning comfortably by 30

I'm of the belief that it's going to come down to accuracy. Particularly, the accuracy of one L 'B' Franklin.

Both teams will score. Both teams will get opportunities. I see neither side shutting the other down completely. I see it as a game of turns (1 team gets 2-3 goals up, then the other).

Bottom line is, if he kicks 4 goals 1 as opposed to 1 goal 4, we win.

Anyone got any omens?

My eight year-old had a meltdown this morning and slammed his bedroom door, causing a framed picture two rooms away to slip off a shelf and knock over and irreparably break a much-loved vase.

The picture was of Leo Barry's 05 GF mark, and it survived without a scratch.

Is this a good omen, or a bad one? I'm not very omen-conversant.

I'm of the belief that it's going to come down to accuracy. Particularly, the accuracy of one L 'B' Franklin.

Both teams will score. Both teams will get opportunities. I see neither side shutting the other down completely. I see it as a game of turns (1 team gets 2-3 goals up, then the other).

Bottom line is, if he kicks 4 goals 1 as opposed to 1 goal 4, we win.

The writing is on the wall for buddy to have a huge one. 2 very good games against the hawks this year but performances matter by poor kicking.

If swans win, he will be norm smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone got any omens?

My eight year-old had a meltdown this morning and slammed his bedroom door, causing a framed picture two rooms away to slip off a shelf and knock over and irreparably break a much-loved vase.

No omens but a few gut feelings which i'm trying to ignore!

Since about March this year i've had the strongest image in my head of Buddy sitting on the MCG turf in tears wearing a swans jumper (bad tears!)

But i'm doing my hardest to ignore!

The writing is on the wall for buddy to have a huge one. 2 very good games against the hawks this year but performances matter by poor kicking.

If swans win, he will be norm smith

Well thats it really..poor kicking. We got over the line at ANZ to a heavily depleted Hawks outfit. Completely different team.

But then if buddy kicks 5.3 instead of 3.5 at the MCG...we would have won that one aswell.

I just wonder about the nerves factor with Bud.... versing Hawks...big stage....something tells me they'll be going everywhere but between the big two sticks...i really do hope im wrong.

Anyone got any omens?

It says far more about Leo Barry's reliability than it does about the upcoming game

Match Preview Day 2

Confidence Level 60%- There are moments where I am certain we will win, but then I keep picturing 2006 today so wavering slightly, but I feel theres still a safe distance from the game starting and plenty of the week to soak up.

Current Match News.

Longmire seems to have confirmed Reid and Grundy are fine, so looks like we wont see any changes. Jordan Lewis indicated he was fine at his many brownlow interviews including on Hawthorn 360 last night. Cyril was banged on about a bit and Sewell, but suspect Cyril in particular will be talked about all week.

Sydney polled the most votes of any team in the brownlow, JPK or Buddy could of snagged it if not missing late games, but oh well I know which medal we would rather they get. Already hawk whinging that Buddy suddenly gets votes now he is a swan, ignoring the fact he already polled 20 twice.

Theres a few different articles on the game, a lot of it Buddy centric which is no surprise, his team mates are lucky he is there to draw all the attention in some ways. There was a cool article about both teams fighting to join Geelong as team of the decade, that would sit well with the tin hat brigade if Sydney are talked about in that light.

2014 Form

I thought I would touch briefly on the 2014 form of both sides. Both teams have won 19 and lost 5 for the year. We of course did play 9 games outside of Sydney where as Hawthorn only have to play 5 away from Melbourne and Tassie, equalisation anyone?

Looking at the teams we lost too, GWS (FFS), Collingwood, North Melbourne, Hawthorn and Richmond, only Collingwood did we fail to beat at least once and we only played them once.

Hawthorns loses came against Geelong, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Fremantle and Sydney. The only side they didn’t beat all year was North, again they only played them once.

Theres not much in the form at all which makes it hard to pick a favourite on that basis. Especially when the game is at the ground Hawthorn are so good at.

There is not a fighting underdog in this game.

Top 5 players from each side.

Whoever I pick, particularly from Hawthorn will largely be derided by someone, so who cares I will just give my opinion on 5 key players from each side for Saturday and a brief comment why. In no particular order they are

Sydney

Daniel Hannebery- I don’t see him as our best mid, but I think if you look at his performance if he performs well we usually win, we missed him in round 18 big time and he could be the difference between a win and a loss on the weekend

Josh Kennedy- He is our best mid and has a very good record against his old club, if he can get on top and win the clearances we will win the game, if we allow Mitchell and co to continue to clear the ball the hawks will win, Kennedy is pivotal for a win

Ben McGlynn- again arguably not in our top 5 players but his energy and never say die approach have been crucial this year, he is the hungriest member of the side. He can butcher it, but if the chips are down and its tight I want benny near the ball

Lance Franklin- Well derr we don’t pay him for nothing, his accuracy is important, but its almost how we structure up and use him that is crucial, I was going to bracket him with Tippett- because if we want to win we have to use this two well and not just bomb to buddy and allow someone like a Gibson or Birchall to continually spoil while Tippett twiddles his thumb

Mike Pyke- We need to win the clearances to win and a lot of that rests on the ruckman, I rate Hale and Ceglar, we need a big game from Pyke to win.

Hawthorn

I was going to put Matt Sevic, but I will attempt to be sensible.

Sam Mitchell- This guy is a superstar and is actually criminally underrated, he has been consistently elite longer than anyone currently playing. He is dynamic in the middle, you cant tell which side he favours and his hands are exceptional, he can also drift back, we need to match him head to head.

Jarryd Roughead- Roughead is a superstar forward who for his size is surprisingly agile, I am bloody worried about him getting away from ted on a lead or exploiting him when it hits the ground. If he is on song like v Port then the Hawks have one hand on the cup

Issac Smith the hawks have a few quick players especially smith and hill, they have breust and shiels and it feels like all of them can burst a line and kick goals, but smith worries me the most. Seems to break the lines and hit the scoreboard from a long way which means he can turn a game quite quickly. I am not sure we actually have the right match up for him either which is a concern.

Brian Lake I know I didn’t put Tippett in our 5, but now he finally looks agile he could get a hold of the hawks, but if Brian Lake plays at his best then Tippett is in for a torrid day, Lake is bloody strong and rarely beaten one on one, sure he scrags a lot but he plays for Hawthorn so he can get away with it. Oh yeah I was going to be sensible

Jordan Lewis- has always been tough, and maybe I am slow to notice, but this year I think he has become elite. He gave us a bath in round 18 and we need to minimise his touches as they are damaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back