Fantasy Empire 2014 - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

18 points more from Julio and Clay nets me overall top scorer.

Have all play in the bag.

Best record in the bag.

Time to choke in the playoffs, awwww yeah!

IIRC, the plast prizemoney allocation was...

225 in total

100 to Winner
40 to second
15 to each division winner
25 to top all play record

As befitting the bloke owning the no. 1 pick in the forthcoming draft, I took a look back through the most recent draft to see who drafted well and who didn't. I was hoping to plot the results on bell curves, but my knowledge of Excel isn't cutting edge enough for me to do it this afternoon. Will try to get it done later.

With the Monday Night Football game to come, here are the average and median points scored for the season to date by players picked in each round of the six-round draft:

Code:
Rnd  Avg       Mdn
---------------------
  1  114.68    119.58
  2   75.06     62.33
  3   81.35     90.39
  4   67.92     75.12
  5   24.85     18.06
  6   33.04     22.68

The Mojave Riders, managed by GG, hit paydirt with the first pick in the draft, Mike Evans, who leads all rookies with points accumulated through the season. Arakaan's Assassins narrowly claims (so far) the biggest bust of the first round, with Cody Latimer only scoring 3.19 points for the season.

Those players selected in the first round that outperformed the average are Mike Evans, Jordan Matthews, Sammy Watkins, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Jr, Tre Mason, Teddy Bridgewater and C. J. Mosley.

Those players selected in the first round that underperformed the average are Eric Ebron, Jadeveon Clowney, Carlos Hyde, Davante Adams, James White, Andre Williams (by a point), Bishop Sankey and Cody Latimer.

In round 2, the stand-out pick for the season so far is drd23's Army's selection of Kelvin Benjamin, who has accrued 208.84 points (to sit second overall behind Evans). Mojave Riders struck out on current free agent Lache Seastrunk, who is yet to play a down in the NFL.

Those players to have outperformed the average in round 2 (so far) are Martavis Bryant, Kelvin Benjamin, Khalil Mack, Aaron Donald, Preston Brown and Allen Robinson. Those players to have underperformed the average in round 2 (so far) are Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, Johnny Manziel, Devonta Freeman, Ka'Deem Carey, Ryan Shazier (though he had his season prematurely ended by injury), Demarcus Lawrence, Lache Seastrunk, De'Anthony Thomas and Paul Richardson.

In round 3, the stand-out pick so far is Jarvis Landry, selected with pick #45 overall by Wolfe Pack. Mojave Riders again brings up the rear with Khyri Thornton yet to record a point. The Riders' Jay Bromley also has only six points to his name so far this season, while the Assassins' Tom Savage has just 0.06 points to his resume.

Those players to have outperformed the average in round 3 are Donte Moncrief, Blake Bortles, Anthony Barr, Terrance West, Jeremy Hill, Jace Amaro, Derek Carr, Jarvis Landry and Isiah Crowell.

Those players to have underperformed the average in round 3 are Dominique Easley, Stephon Tuitt, Richard Rodgers, Jay Bromley, Justin Ellis, Khryi Thornton and Tom Savage.

In round 4, the Legion of Boom's John Brown is the outstanding performer so far, having accrued more than double the points of the average player taken in that round. Deone Bucannon, selected by the Rayders with pick #54 overall, has also performed extremely well. Drd23 took Colt Lyerla with the #62 pick and he has yet to play a down in the NFL.

John Brown, Jerick McKinnon, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, Justin Gilbert, Deone Bucannon, Aaron Lynch, Telvin Smith, Alfred Blue, Christian Kirksey and Lorenzo Taliaferro have all outperformed the average round 4 player.

Calvin Pryor, Logan Thomas, Ra'Shede Hageman, Charles Sims, Colt Lyerla and Jeff Janis have underperformed the average round 4 player.

In Round 5, TheGreatBarryB has achieved tremendous production from Kyle Fuller, who has racked up 100 points more than the average round 5 player. The Spanish Drunkards took three wide receivers in round 5 and so far, none of them have played a down in the NFL (two through long-term injuries and one through failing to make it through training camp).

Kyle Fuller, Josh Huff, Lamarcus Joyner, Zach Mettenberger, Timmy Jernigan and Brock Vereen have all outperformed the average round 5 player. Kony Ealy, Storm Johnson, Jimmy Garoppolo, Scott Crichton, Jared Abbrederis, Kyle Van Noy, Shaq Evans, Lamin Barrow, Jeremy Gallon and Kareem Martin have all underperformed the average round 5 player.

In round 6, Chris Borland represents the steal of the draft. The Donkeys took Borland with the 87th overall pick and he has repaid his owner with 150.95 points (and counting). The next best round 6 pick is Anthony Hitchens, taken #94 overall.

The Wolfe Pack (Aaron Murray) and Targaryen Royals (Brandon Coleman) both missed out with their sixth round pick completely, while the Dodgers' Nate Freese was cut after accruing just three points.

Dezmen Southward, Jason Verrett, Chris Borland, Prince Shembo, Bruce Ellington, Anthony Hitchens and Ego Ferguson have outperformed their average round 6 counterpart.

Aaron Murray, Marion Grice, Brandon Coleman, Dee Ford, Troy Niklas, Terrence Brooks, C.J. Fiedorowicz, Nate Freese and Chris Smith have all underperformed the average round 6 player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a page on the site somewhere called draft review where they graded the picks post draft, and I was given the worst draft ranking. But their system of ranking is stupid, judging only where a player was expected to be drafted so if you got him earlier then you suck.

But doing it the way you did, I think it shows I drafted well and traded well for rookies too.

I might have won last year but with the massive fantasy regression of Kap, Andre J, Garcon and Bush who started nearly every game last year I would say at a minimum I'm a 30-40 point worse team/week. Add to that my s**t drafting and I don't know how the * I've made it close to the playoffs.

Seriously you guys suck. :p

Well the only reason any of you had Bell was because of the shifting goalposts on the salary cap before season 1 meant I cut him and then the posts shifted again and I could've afforded to keep him.

So by my reckoning TGBB you owe me a starter. ;)

Well the only reason any of you had Bell was because of the shifting goalposts on the salary cap before season 1 meant I cut him and then the posts shifted again and I could've afforded to keep him.

So by my reckoning TGBB you owe me a starter. ;)
No, Leveon Bell. Pretty sure I drafted him in Empire too.

Obviously, the system will automatically finalize the standings after tomorrow's results (and pending thursday-ish adjustments).

But when it comes to breaking ties for the wild cards, I am not sure what I did last year....whether i used some of those criteria (like division record), or whether I just went straigh to H2H record first, then conference record, then All-Play, the Points For, then Power Rank.

Will have to check up last year's thread to see if I mentioned what I did to specifically break wild card ties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back