Fantasy Empire 2015 - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

GG peterbuch74 TheGreatBarryB BeinPurplenGreen Dagless drd23 manureid arakaan Hoggy EagleOz axis_miles03 Starlin Castro Blacky shiny_on_top Dixie Flatline Shupe

See the LEAGUE BY-LAWS page on the MFL site for the new rules.

NEW RULES/PROCESSES 2015

INJURY RESERVE
- Change from 3 to 9

- Only players designated IR can be placed here. The Out and Suspended designations no longer allowed.

SUSPENDED PLAYERS
- Any player with a SSPND designation can be released from your roster with no cap hit imposed.

- To prevent gaming waivers, the player has to have been on your roster NOT suspended, THEN gotten suspended. Claiming a suspended player from waivers, or trading for one, does not entitle one to a cap relief if you later cut them.

TRADES
- When a team receives a player in a trade, they will be allowed to request from the Commissioner a new contract for him that is higher than his current contract...min years 3, max 5 years -- as long as he fits inside team's total contract cap allowance (118). Once a trade is made, you will only have 7 days to request a new contract. Give you a little time in case you need to sort out any other roster decisions.

RFA BIDDING PROCESS
- A change to the RFA Bidding Process. It's currently you have $1,000 non-salary-cap dollars to use during the entire Bidding process, once funds exhausted, you cannot bid anymore, there was a $1 minimum and $1,000 maximum per bid on a player. All one had to do was match the final bid and they retained the player. NOW -- the minimum will be $1, and the maximum will be $400 per bid, but if you exhaust your $1,000 your minimum will change to $0 bids allowed. This is to prevent teams taking a team right out of the whole RFA bidding process by forcing them to bid $1,000 on a player to keep him. We want people actively involved in bidding thruout. So if someone wants to take you out, you still at least have $200 left to make other bids. If you end up $0 left. That's okay, you can now make $0 bids on players. Which isn't a problem because if someone wants him they can bid $1, and you're stuffed. But at least you can bid the $0 and hope no one wants him.

- Another change to the RFA Bidding Process. Currently, once a player is bid on, they have 7 calendar days before bids close, and people could relentlessly keep bidding up once they got outbid. NOW -- everyone has a maximum 3 bids per player they can make. Once all 3 bids for every team are exhausted on a player, or, once 7 calendar days pass after first bid, whichever comes first, then bidding closes on that player and whomever has the highest bid wins him. Previous owner has the right to match (keep him and offer him a new contract) or to let the highest bidder win him (who then gets him, dollars subtracted from his account, and offers him a new contract).

- Another change to the RFA Bidding Process. Currently, there was a list of no players showing. People had to post in bigfooty a player's name, with a bid on them, to enter them into the Auction. Once there, they lasted for 7 calendar days before bids close. A lot of manual work and messing about, incorrect numbers to fix, etc. NOW -- all RFAs will be listed in a spreadsheet, all of them open for bidding. In one column will be a list of all Empire teams. Next column, their dollar spend on a 'live' basis, updating as bids are made, next column date of first bid, next three columns the three bids allowed per team, etc. It will be a spreadsheet posted in an OP, that people can edit the spreadsheet themselves on the fly, making bids. When a player is won, the previous owner and new owner can chat in the thread to discuss if they want to match or not. Then I will edit the spreadsheet so only the winning bidder gets his dollar amount subtracted. Remember tho, commissioner owns spreadsheet and can undo any shenanigan edits people make, would hope no one acts immaturely.

RFAs and FRANCHISE TAGS
- Every end of year, before RFA process begins, you can choose 1 player from your roster to apply a franchise tag (1 year) on, and 1 player from your roster to renegotiate a new contract for (min 2 years, max 3 years). All other RFAs must go thru RFA bidding process.

- Like franchise tags, once an RFA has been given a renegotiated contract, and eventually ends up on your roster 2-3 years later, he cannot be re-renegotiated. He must go thru the RFA process first.

- A player who had been franchised tagged the season before, cannot be franchise tagged again, but he CAN be used for the renegotiated contract.

- Example.....Riders Safety Michael Griffin was picked up in FA during the season with a 1 yr contract on him. End of this season, he will become an RFA. So I can either let him go thru the RFA process, where I or anyone else can bid/win him. Whoever wins him must then offer him a 3-5 yr contract. Or i can franchise tag him, which means he stays on my roster for a 1 yr contract, but at a much higher salary. If i choose Exclusive Tag, he's mine for 1 year at 1.8 times his salary. If i choose Non-Exclusive Tag, he's mine for 1 year at 1.4 times his salary, but people CAN bid on him, if they bid on him, I can match the bid and keep him. Or not match it, and accept a 1st round pick from the person who bid on him. Or, i can choose "Renegotiated", which means I can offer him a 2 or 3 year contract, and he stays on my roster, can't be bid on, wont go thru RFA process. If I chose "renegotiated", okay, that's my one allowance for the year used up on that. I can still Franchise Tag one other player.

- Example....Last year, Riders Franchise Tagged Charles Clay. I ended up trading him, but if he was still on my roster end of this year....I would not be allowed to Tag him again. I could either "renegotiate" him for 2-3 years, and slap a Tag on someone else. Or I could let him go into the RFA Process, where I or anyone can bid/win him. If I won him back, I could THEN offer him a 3-5 year contract. And all is sweet again for 3-5 years. When he became a RFA again, I could Tag him again if i wanted.

- Example....Starlin Castro i think it was who traded for Clay off me. He got Clay with a Tag on him. What he CAN do now, end of this season, is use Clay for the "renegotiated", give him a 2-3 year contract, and not lose him. And go slap a Tag on some other RFA he has. Or he can just let him go thru the RFA Bidding process, try to win him back that way, and give him a 3-5 yr contract.

REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE AND PLAYOFFS
- The regular season will now be 13 weeks long. With the three weeks of playoffs now ending Week 16.

- The lost game will come from the current 4 non-conf games that everyone plays.

- The non-conf games flip from one year to the next which cross-conference division you play.

- So if you are to play the National Reich North in 2015, say, the game you DON'T play is now determined by your placings in 2014.

- Example....I finished say 4th in West and am to play North in 2015. Whomever finished 1st in North 2014, is who I don't play in 2015.

- The exact formula is: 1st doesnt play 4th, 4th doesnt play 1st, 2nd doesnt play 3rd, 3rd doesnt play 2nd.

MISCELLANEOUS
- Change entry/league fees. Currently, GG pays $80 annually to keep league running, and the other 15 people pay $15 each which all goes to prize pool ($225).

- The change is that all 16 people pay $20 or $25 each. Where $5 each person goes to paying for the league ($80) and the remainder goes to the prize pool. If $15 each left, prize pool becomes $240. If $20 each left, prize pool becomes $320. So pick which one, $20 or $25.

I think all the rule changes are sensible. It was annoying having Peterson on my main list giving a roster spot for a whole season and I could do nothing about it. Would have been handy to put him on IR and sign someone to replace him for the season he missed. Would have at least made me slightly more competitive

> take your time
> get it all out now
I meant....if you have objections or tweaks etc, get it all out now. But take your time debating it with me/others, there's no rush like today or tomorrow a resolution must be found, so we spend 4 hrs vigorously arguing. Just table the things you want, let others have their say, and in time.....a week or so from now, we can start trying to resolve anything that seems like there's a division of agreement on.

I think all the rule changes are sensible. It was annoying having Peterson on my main list giving a roster spot for a whole season and I could do nothing about it. Would have been handy to put him on IR and sign someone to replace him for the season he missed. Would have at least made me slightly more competitive

It's injured reserve, not peanut reserve

It's injured reserve, not peanut reserve
In the NFL there is an IR designation called IR/SSPND. Basically, you can IR a player who is suspended. Which takes him right off your active roster. And can't be re-instated. That's basically the point of the change in Empire too....the IR slot is now a real IR slot....you can't reactivate them until they come off IR in the NFL....be it thru injury or suspension.

In the NFL there is an IR designation called IR/SSPND. Basically, you can IR a player who is suspended. Which takes him right off your active roster. And can't be re-instated. That's basically the point of the change in Empire too....the IR slot is now a real IR slot....you can't reactivate them until they come off IR in the NFL....be it thru injury or suspension.
The difference is the depth of the talent pool

If I am taking a risk on a guy that I know is a head case, I shouldn't have that insurance.

The difference is the depth of the talent pool

If I am taking a risk on a guy that I know is a head case, I shouldn't have that insurance.

In Dixie's case tho....no one knew Peterson was a headcase, news just broke of something happening, and he got hit with an indefinite suspension, and then the NFL kept dragging it out even longer.

Often it's like that obviously. You have a player, THEN they go and get suspended for something you personally have no foreknowledge of -- PEDs, DUI, sexual assualt/etc.

I think it's worth allowing them into IR. Given this is a cap and contract league, the owner can be more fvcked over by a suspension. In alpha/beta, i think dspeed had like 4 or more players IR and another 4 or more sspnd, where sspnd wasnt allowed on IR, and no cap or contract, he could at least start cutting the ones he felt werent worth suffering thru waiting on to be active, with no loss to his ledger.

Whereas in Empire, youve made an investment in years and dollars. To CUT him, suddenly you are hammered with a cap hit for it. Peterson say was $6m a year at the time with 5 year contract.....now he has to get hit with about a $5m cap hit if he cuts him. No ones gonna trade for him. He just traded for him even say, or won him in RFA, upped his contact, and then that happens. If he wants to reduce the cap hit, he has to wait till the 5 years runs out before he can cut him to avoid a cut hit. Stuffs up his team when it doesnt have to be that way.

99% of the time, the suspension happens to a player on multi-year contract no one had any idea suddenly would do something, a player you intend keeping. It's only about 1% time you get the Josh Gordon or Will Blackmon-like instances....where you willingly take on a player already suspended to stash in IR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because there is no depth in the NFL

In empire you get rewarded for picking up nut cases
What we COULD do is.....

Only IR allowed on IR.
But, if you get a player currently on roster, hit with a SSPND, regardless if it's a 4 week or 1 year suspension, you can CUT him, and not be charged with the cap hit.

Eg, Peterson $5m on 5 year contract, 2 weeks in, he gets hit with an 8 game suspension. You can either hold onto him, or trade him. Or if you just want to be done with him, you cut him, let Commish know it's a SSPN exempt, I remove the cap hit deduction from your cap, no loss to you in THAT sense. The player then goes to FA.

Ok....but if THEN someone signs a FA who has a SSPN tag...they cannot THEN ask to have a cut exemption at any time during that players length of contract. You take him on knowingly with a suspension, then you deal with the pitfalls/risks of that.

If you trade for a SSPN player tho, either you're in turn allowed to cut-exempt him. Or you dont get that exemption either.

Dixie Flatline TheGreatBarryB Blacky what you say?

Or do other people wanna chip in and unanimously say the like the rule of IR/SSPN as tabled on previous page?

Suspended players shouldn't be eligible for IR or taxi squad in my view.

Also don't like the increase of IR to 30, it seems like people can stockpile players there now. Too few players available in some key positions as it is, if you get stockpiling on IR then waivers will become even less used than they are now.

Maybe make it an IR of say 10 max, limited to 5 Offensive and 5 Defensive max - plus you can only put players on IR once they have been on your squad for four weeks? Basically just trying to come up with a way of stopping people drafting/trading injured players just to add them to an IR stockpile.

Or do we go like the real NFL and say once someone is on IR they can't play for 8 weeks (or for the rest of the season??).

The league is already very thin at depth in some key positions, I don't like any rule changes that permit people to stockpile players without suffering some form of penalty/sacrifice.

On the renegotiating traded player contracts - I raised it hoping we could apply it to players acquired this season - eg I'd like to extend Willie Young (who I acquired in a trade this season) if I could. Does this apply, or is it only to trades from next season?

Suspended players shouldn't be eligible for IR or taxi squad in my view.

Also don't like the increase of IR to 30, it seems like people can stockpile players there now. Too few players available in some key positions as it is, if you get stockpiling on IR then waivers will become even less used than they are now.

Maybe make it an IR of say 10 max, limited to 5 Offensive and 5 Defensive max - plus you can only put players on IR once they have been on your squad for four weeks? Basically just trying to come up with a way of stopping people drafting/trading injured players just to add them to an IR stockpile.

Or do we go like the real NFL and say once someone is on IR they can't play for 8 weeks (or for the rest of the season??).

The league is already very thin at depth in some key positions, I don't like any rule changes that permit people to stockpile players without suffering some form of penalty/sacrifice.

On the renegotiating traded player contracts - I raised it hoping we could apply it to players acquired this season - eg I'd like to extend Willie Young (who I acquired in a trade this season) if I could. Does this apply, or is it only to trades from next season?

Taxi is only ever for rookies.
Good points about picking up IR players just to horde. Maybe 10 max then. If others agree/disagree?
The new IR anyway will be once IR'd theyre gone for the season...or until they come off IR. Currently we can place players OUT on IR, this would no longer be allowed, is the point to increasing higher. But there should be a limit.
Negotiating players contracts once traded for....this will apply only start of 2015 onwards....but if you look at a new RFA addition....every team will be allowed to re-neg ONE RFA to max 3 years. And place a TAG on one other RFA. So anyone who traded for a player coming off contract can use the former.

Taxi is only ever for rookies.
Good points about picking up IR players just to horde. Maybe 10 max then. If others agree/disagree?
The new IR anyway will be once IR'd theyre gone for the season...or until they come off IR. Currently we can place players OUT on IR, this would no longer be allowed, is the point to increasing higher. But there should be a limit.
Negotiating players contracts once traded for....this will apply only start of 2015 onwards....but if you look at a new RFA addition....every team will be allowed to re-neg ONE RFA to max 3 years. And place a TAG on one other RFA. So anyone who traded for a player coming off contract can use the former.

Yes but I already have players that I want to use those on besides young - can't we apply the rule to players traded for this season just finished - surely no-one will suffer any downside if we apply it now instead of waiting until next off season?

Yes but I already have players that I want to use those on besides young - can't we apply the rule to players traded for this season just finished - surely no-one will suffer any downside if we apply it now instead of waiting until next off season?
That is a contentious thing to others, not to me. It's up to everyone else to rally behind you on that. I personally can't see the problem. But others were vehemently against it for some reason.

Also, it wouldnt be "next off-season"....it'd be any trade you made in 2015 you could immediately reneg that player's contract up.

OK - can anyone explain why we shouldn't be able to renegotiate contracts for players that we traded for this season just finished, instead of waiting until next year?

I can't see any downside, happy to listen if others think there is a problem with the idea...

OK - can anyone explain why we shouldn't be able to renegotiate contracts for players that we traded for this season just finished, instead of waiting until next year?

I can't see any downside, happy to listen if others think there is a problem with the idea...
If I traded a player with one year left without knowing we could renegotiate then I would have got less than I could have had I known.

It means the owners who got players with shorter contracts become the big winners

Remove this Banner Ad

Back