Premier Lg EPL Matchday 38 (Manchester City Champions)

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Ederson must have passed the standard concussion tests. But he was clearly shaken up. He slipped as he made the next clearance which may or may not have been related to his head knock. He didn't want to go off but sometimes you have to protect the player. And it's not like Ortega would have been a downgrade.
He already started showing signs of bruising and swelling under the eye too

Like I said, a review is pretty important. If things need to be done differently then so be it.

From what I understand, he passed the concussion test, but was taken off on the recommendation of the club doctor because of the damage to his eye.

Was listening to a podcast earlier, they said a few things I wasn't aware of. Not sure if true or not.

One, the test should be done by an independent doctor, not a club doctor. We had two club doctors assessing but no independent as far as I know.

Second, I know they have concussion subs but wasn't aware how they worked. Ederson could have gone off while the tests were being done, and then come back if he passed.

FWIW, Ederson has now been subbed out of 4 games this season, maybe something to look at.

Like I said, a review is pretty important. If things need to be done differently then so be it.

From what I understand, he passed the concussion test, but was taken off on the recommendation of the club doctor because of the damage to his eye.

Was listening to a podcast earlier, they said a few things I wasn't aware of. Not sure if true or not.

One, the test should be done by an independent doctor, not a club doctor. We had two club doctors assessing but no independent as far as I know.

Second, I know they have concussion subs but wasn't aware how they worked. Ederson could have gone off while the tests were being done, and then come back if he passed.

FWIW, Ederson has now been subbed out of 4 games this season, maybe something to look at.

Don't think so. You can't come back on once you are substituted. It would have to be either continue after treatment or be subbed. There is no allowance to bring on another keeper as in interchange and swap back in your #1 keeper when ready again.

Concussion sub is really an extra sub if a player is subbed for a concussion. It's to prevent players continuing when no subs are left and they cop a nasty knock.

Don't think so. You can't come back on once you are substituted. It would have to be either continue after treatment or be subbed. There is no allowance to bring on another keeper as in interchange and swap back in your #1 keeper when ready again.

Concussion sub is really an extra sub if a player is subbed for a concussion. It's to prevent players continuing when no subs are left and they cop a nasty knock.

I would think a temporary sub to allow for assessment would be pretty reasonable.

Interchanges will never be allowed at elite level.

If club doctors are not sure about the concussion just sub the keeper taking no chances and activate the concussion sub protocol.

Never? Not for concussion?

I think that's a bold claim.

What's wrong with substituting them as a precaution? Don't see the issue with the current system, team even gets an extra sub to replace the sub forced on them.

And how often has it been used, out of interest?

Can't work out how they got it so wrong and had him taking the free kick. I thought he was fine because of the confidence and speed the doctors had in letting him stay out there

Can't work out how they got it so wrong and had him taking the free kick. I thought he was fine because of the confidence and speed the doctors had in letting him stay out there

It's almost like being able to take him off to assess him rather than being pressured to leave him on might help.

Apparently he passed the concussion tests, but not sure how subjective they are.

I might be wrong on that, although they mentioned that on the podcast as something that could have been done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be wrong on that, although they mentioned that on the podcast as something that could have been done.

Yes I thought temporary subs was already a thing particularly for keepers.

Apparently he passed the concussion tests, but not sure how subjective they are.

The on field assessment would be pretty basic. Ask them if them if they know where they are, what day it is. Do they have a headache, feel dizzy or nauseous? Get them to follow finger movements with both eyes. Not everyone who loses consciousness gets concussion but given that he was out for quite a few seconds they should have subbed him off immediately.

I don't think Karius was assessed on field after Ramos elbowed him in the head. He was later diagnosed with concussion. We'll never know if his two howlers in the Champions League final were due to the head knock.

“The permanent concussion substitute protocol that has now been enshrined into law means that if a player leaves the pitch for a concussion assessment, then the match will continue with either the player having to be permanently replaced and unable to return, or with their team playing at a numerical disadvantage.”

Some angry dude is leaving Liverpool to be replaced by a less angry dude. It’s a day of celebration really.
Any other club would welcome Klopp…says it all

Have Optus Sport said how they will show the games from the final round?

When several games are on at the same time they usually have 'Goalrush' where one game is shown live then they cut to the other games for major incidents.

Have Optus Sport said how they will show the games from the final round?

When several games are on at the same time they usually have 'Goalrush' where one game is shown live then they cut to the other games for major incidents.

Of course. There are PL games on every single weekend with the exact same start times and they are all shown live. The same thing will apply to MD38.

Guaranteed minimum 2nd place, its been a great season for Arsenal.

Checked off all the boxes at the beginning of the season, hope to finish with another win to end the season with our second most points ever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back