Oppo Camp Essendon FC verdict: Tuesday 31st of March.

Essendon FC outcome: are they guilty or innocent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the point. Collins wanted him to take the offer, Grant ended up (famously, with the 20c letter) turning it down. A year later Grant is one of the bookies favourites for the medal, (and despite what anyone says to the contrary upper figures in the AFL do know roughly where the tally is at all year) and Collins personally intervenes to have Grant reported and directs a guilty verdict and ban, despite all match officials dismissing the incident as not reportable both on the ground, and after viewing post game replays.

It was a very blunt and clumsy fit up job, well short of the Demetriou finesse to which we've grown accustomed.
You've intrigued me to go and review the incident that got him sidelined...

Sometimes I just like to click a button and move on.
suggest if you wanted the detail - include in the poll options.
Banned - minimal, less than 8 weeks
Banned - up to 6 months
Banned - up to a year
Banned - up to 2 years
Get off scot free.

yeah, wasn't needed. The 2 poll options are fine

I'm going with less than 8 weeks.

Awesome. Thanks.

yeah, wasn't needed. The 2 poll options are fine

Awesome. Thanks.
Just a suggestion since you spoke up that people weren't putting in their ban length.

Having now caught up... how do people feel about the following.

Players - slap on wrist.
Hird (and others heavily involved in the oversight) - banned for life.

If that happened, I'd almost be okay with that.

I have no idea but have said from day 1 that IMO I would like to think that Port or AFC players should have the confidence that anything our clubs medicos give them is legal.

If they go outside the club then it becomes their responsibility to consult WADA/ASADA whoever.

US Postal and Astana like this ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no idea but have said from day 1 that IMO I would like to think that Port or AFC players should have the confidence that anything our clubs medicos give them is legal.

If they go outside the club then it becomes their responsibility to consult WADA/ASADA whoever.
It can't work like that or teams would dope their players with no penalty.

I want them to be found guilty, but I just can't shake the feeling that the tribunal will find them not guilty. Insufficient evidence of what was in the needle for each player or some such. Basically, it'll be Essendon's paper shredder inept record keeping that'll get the players off. Funny, that.:rolleyes:

They'll have plenty to absolutely whack Dank though. Enough to prove there were PEDs/WADA prohibited substances on site. And you know, the whole "Pharmacologically experimental environment" that anyone in their right mind would have questioned and been appalled at. Part of the reason I WANT them to be found guilty. It'll all be swept aside otherwise. But from what's in the public domain, what went on there was disgusting. Let's not forget ol' mate AOD - a drug not approved for human use, being injected into young men. And that's just one of the drugs.

But the AFL will get what they want. The mirage of a clean sport.

We will get a verdict but if guilty maybe not the penalty, that could be another couple of weeks away

if the players are found to be guilty they will appeal

if the players are found not guilty ASADA will appeal

if the players are found guilty and the punishment is to light, ASADA will appeal the sentence

this saga wont end with this weeks verdict either way it has another 6-12 months to play out

And players will continue to sit on the sidelines in hope of having their final verdict backdated too?

I take it you haven't follow cycling until recently.

What has following cycling got to do with it, I named (in humour) two organisations/team owners that would like what you proposed in your original post.

Unless your original post was in jest ?

If the players somehow get off because they were "duped", there will be a new lucrative sporting profession.. "the patsy"

It can't work like that or teams would dope their players with no penalty.
I disagree completely. It would force clubs and medicos to accept the responsibility that they should have.

Start imposing serious bans on doctors, admin staff, club owners etc instead of players and the whole mess would clean up quick smart.

If say Barcellona players were found guilty (totally made up example) which would work best as a deterrent, banning 5 or 6 players for 10 years or banning the club and people employed to assist/monitor the situation for 10 or more years?

Disclaimer: I haven't followed the case enough to comment on any specifics, but my opinion, as a broad general opinion stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What has following cycling got to do with it, I named (in humour) two organisations/team owners that would like what you proposed in your original post.

Unless your original post was in jest ?

If the players somehow get off because they were "duped", there will be a new lucrative sporting profession.. "the patsy"

Read up on how the doping occurred in cycling and you will see the difference to what has been alleged in this case.

I think they will be found guilty. I have no faith that the penalty applied will be in any way proportionate to the offence. What I would like - 2 years. What I expect - some bs backdated penalty.

Late, high contact, player concussed. I think the game was warranted. 7.00 in this vid

By today's standards clearly worth a week. Back then... hard to really be clear on what was let go and what wasn't.
Telling the umpires spoke up in defence for him and wouldn't report it - even off the video.

Did he deserve to cop a week - probably.
Was Collins vindictive... without knowing more - quite possibly.

Read up on how the doping occurred in cycling and you will see the difference to what has been alleged in this case.
I am not trying to find parallels to the cycling and EFC mess, I was just trying to point out that having the club or organisation the only one responsible will lead to a bigger mess. That's not just for cycling but any team based club that has signed up to the WADA code.

I do agree that anyone within the EFC that had any knowledge of the goings on (if guilty) need to suffer just as much as the players involved.

I am not trying to find parallels to the cycling and EFC mess, I was just trying to point out that having the club or organisation the only one responsible will lead to a bigger mess. That's not just for cycling but any team based club that has signed up to the WADA code.

I do agree that anyone within the EFC that had any knowledge of the goings on (if guilty) need to suffer just as much as the players involved.

I suppose that for mine going to the club medicos and obtaining their approval should be seen the same as going to ASADA directly.

If the sport needs to pay doctors etc more for the extra responsibility then so be it. Decrease the cap and use it for the medical side of things, I doubt the AFLPA would be against that.

If the players decide to go to an external doctor or whatever then it becomes a different ball game.

But I will say again that this is just a broad opinion as I haven't followed the Essendon case that much.

If you go by the initial press conference from Jason Clare, Kate Lundy and Dimwitrio where the sky was gonna fall in; there should be floggings at dawn out the front of Flinders Street Station right up until grand final day.:rolleyes:

But Id expect there will be much wrist slapping so that ANZAC Day commemorations are not put in jeopardy.
Jab Watson will get off and forever be tainted by his "dirty" brownlow.
If/when he's found guilty, Watson will almost certainly have to return his Brownlow.

I suppose that for mine going to the club medicos and obtaining their approval should be seen the same as going to ASADA directly.

If the sport needs to pay doctors etc more for the extra responsibility then so be it. Decrease the cap and use it for the medical side of things, I doubt the AFLPA would be against that.

If the players decide to go to an external doctor or whatever then it becomes a different ball game.

But I will say again that this is just a broad opinion as I haven't followed the Essendon case that much.

I may work but the AFL would need to distance itself from the WADA code for that to occur (unless the changes are given a tick fromWADA)

I still feel that there would be to many loopholes for the Clubs if your proposal was ever introduced.

By today's standards clearly worth a week. Back then... hard to really be clear on what was let go and what wasn't.
Telling the umpires spoke up in defence for him and wouldn't report it - even off the video.

Did he deserve to cop a week - probably.
Was Collins vindictive... without knowing more - quite possibly.

The bit about that being the only incident for the year that was called up outside of an umpires report is very...weird. You would think it'd be for something far worse than what happened then...something you would think was highlighted a few times by the media and was outrageous.

Mate they've already been penalised fewer draft picks than us....the AFL are a massive joke
So far they've only been penalised for "poor governance" - failure to keep proper records of what they were injecting into the players. The real penalties will only come if/when the players are found guilty. Once that happens, Essendon (the club - and the officials involved) can expect to be smashed. Expect them to cop fines in excess of what Carlton received for rorting the salary cap combined with draft penalties far harsher than those handed to Adelaide after the Tiprat fiasco.

I want them to be found guilty, but I just can't shake the feeling that the tribunal will find them not guilty. Insufficient evidence of what was in the needle for each player or some such. Basically, it'll be Essendon's paper shredder inept record keeping that'll get the players off. Funny, that.:rolleyes:

They'll have plenty to absolutely whack Dank though. Enough to prove there were PEDs/WADA prohibited substances on site. And you know, the whole "Pharmacologically experimental environment" that anyone in their right mind would have questioned and been appalled at. Part of the reason I WANT them to be found guilty. It'll all be swept aside otherwise. But from what's in the public domain, what went on there was disgusting. Let's not forget ol' mate AOD - a drug not approved for human use, being injected into young men. And that's just one of the drugs.

But the AFL will get what they want. The mirage of a clean sport.
I can see that being used heavily against them. ASADA had to create a POV that it's likely they did inject illegal drugs. Ess conveniently don't have records? Says more about their guilt than innocence.

Back