Oppo Camp Essendon FC verdict: Tuesday 31st of March.

Essendon FC outcome: are they guilty or innocent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Guilty 2 years reduced to 1. Still feel bad for the players in this. They still dont know what they were actually injected with. That slimey peice of s**t hird should be banned for life. Stephen dank should be thrown in jail.

Just a suggestion since you spoke up that people weren't putting in their ban length.

Maybe it was a bit abrasive but it got people adding the length of the ban they suspected will happen and that was the point of the thread.

Having now caught up... how do people feel about the following.

Players - slap on wrist.
Hird (and others heavily involved in the oversight) - banned for life.

If that happened, I'd almost be okay with that.

Now, if you looked at the AFC vs Kurt Tippett case and the Essendon Football Club Vs ASADA case in parallel - maybe the players could mount a case to get off with a simple slap on the wrist.

Basing this case on, someone has to take responsibility and act as a leader; James Hird, Ian Robson and David Evans would be the logical choice of people to lay that blame on. They were responsible for the duty of care towards the players and members.

I would be a very strong advocate to allow the players to get off if evidence was presented that the players took the substance in questions with undue pressure getting applied by Hird, Evans or Robson. I would say, give them a slap on the wrist and a life time ban to Hird, Evans and Robson - or whom ever was involved. .

However, If that pressure was not getting applied by them in regards to them getting dropped or delisted and they sort independent medical examiner advice on whether they could take the substance and they still did - throw the book at them as well. The responsibility falls on the shoulders of the players to know 100% what they are injecting, taking or consuming.

However, this case and the Tippett case can not run parallel with each other as different segments have been broken. I don't believe that happened and they were willing participants in the program. They have to act in accordance to the rules and regulations of ASADA and have a total understanding what is getting put into their bodies. That responsibility falls back onto the players.

I just don't know whether Anzac Day, especially being the one hundredth Anzac Day, will have any commercial influence over this. Not a good look for the Anzac Day clash to be played with the seconds, but not a good look for Essendon to get away with a piss-weak penalty or scott-free.

If dozens of players are suspended for two seasons, the second-biggest club in the league would be affected for years to come, probably a decade or more. Money must be a consideration at AFL House. How much sway will the almighty dollar hold over the tribunal, intended to be independent?

On the other hand, the AFL, ASADA and tribunal would want to send a message and there are precedents for stiff penalties (as we, Carlton, and Essendon's accountants know). Ultimately, I'm in agreeance with a lot of people here: they'll probably get one year backdated, allowing them to participate in training ready for season 2016. Knowing the way this has gone, Essendon is likely to appeal, and I think the saga will gradually wind down over the next few years.

If/when he's found guilty, Watson will almost certainly have to return his Brownlow.

How embarrassing...which is one reason why he will get off IMO. The AFL will not want this issue muddying the sewage already swamping their brand.
We'll just have to put a rider next to his name like Libratore (fairest LOL) & Woewoeful (best LMAO)...it'll become Watson (drug-cheat OMG)

Jab 'won'* charlie ahead of Cotchin and Mitchell, who tied in second place; does that mean handing out 2 more...I don't think so.

Last edited:
They should miss a minimum of the whole season.

I don't think Essendon will appeal a guilty finding. I think they will appeal the punishment.
A player might want to.appeal the guilty verdict to remove it from their record.

Particularly if they want a career in Sport Science/Personal Training. Having such a record would not not be.good in such an industry.

A player might want to.appeal the guilty verdict to remove it from their record.

Particularly if they want a career in Sport Science/Personal Training. Having such a record would not not be.good in such an industry.

They might, but with strict liability I don't see how they would win. If the evidence is strong enough to show that TB4 was part of the injection regime, being duped does not exonerate them.

They might, but with strict liability I don't see how they would win. If the evidence is strong enough to show that TB4 was part of the injection regime, being duped does not exonerate them.
I agree.

The.relationship between the club and players is no different to that of.a.taxpayer a Tax Agent and.the ATO.

A Tax Agent prepares your taxes. However you are responsible for the information provided at.lodgement and the ATO will penalise you if it contravenes Tax Law. Not the agent.

Just like each player is responsible for what is in their body and if it contravenes the WADA code they are penalised.

Of course we.can sue our Tax Agent for negligence if they prepare an illegal Tax return. Just as the players can sue the club for negligence.

Maybe it was a bit abrasive but it got people adding the length of the ban they suspected will happen and that was the point of the thread.

Now, if you looked at the AFC vs Kurt Tippett case and the Essendon Football Club Vs ASADA case in parallel - maybe the players could mount a case to get off with a simple slap on the wrist.

Basing this case on, someone has to take responsibility and act as a leader; James Hird, Ian Robson and David Evans would be the logical choice of people to lay that blame on. They were responsible for the duty of care towards the players and members.

I would be a very strong advocate to allow the players to get off if evidence was presented that the players took the substance in questions with undue pressure getting applied by Hird, Evans or Robson. I would say, give them a slap on the wrist and a life time ban to Hird, Evans and Robson - or whom ever was involved. .

However, If that pressure was not getting applied by them in regards to them getting dropped or delisted and they sort independent medical examiner advice on whether they could take the substance and they still did - throw the book at them as well. The responsibility falls on the shoulders of the players to know 100% what they are injecting, taking or consuming.

However, this case and the Tippett case can not run parallel with each other as different segments have been broken. I don't believe that happened and they were willing participants in the program. They have to act in accordance to the rules and regulations of ASADA and have a total understanding what is getting put into their bodies. That responsibility falls back onto the players.
Can't argue with that. Well said

Of course we.can sue our Tax Agent for negligence if they prepare an illegal Tax return. Just as the players can sue the club for negligence.

The Club could and should be brought to its knees via legal action by the players. If you look at the ones now that have no attachment to the Dons, like Ryder and Monfries it will be another pay day looming for them as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apologies if this has been answered. Tomorrow will we find out if the players are to receive a penalty and for how long?

If not, can the players play this weekend?
Tomorrow we find out if they've been found guilty or not. Penalties will be decided later.

If they're found not-guilty then they'll be free to play this weekend. If they're found guilty then they have to remain on the sidelines.

Tomorrow we find out if they've been found guilty or not. Penalties will be decided later.

If they're found not-guilty then they'll be free to play this weekend. If they're found guilty then they have to remain on the sidelines.

Thanks champ. Thats all I needed.

Good to hear that life has been keeping you busy and happy and away from here. :thumbsu:

*.... 2 collingwood players have tested positive to performance enhancing substances

ffs. when will this s**t end. Another circus about to begin.

I hate these stories as it takes away discussions on footy.

With that said, allows Danger to go about his s**t.

ffs. when will this s**t end. Another circus about to begin.

I hate these stories as it takes away discussions on footy.

With that said, allows Danger to go about his s**t.

It won't end, unless the AFL get serious and throw the book at the Essendon players.

If they only miss 3 or 4 games, it's a risk some players will be willing to take.

If they get 12 to 18 months (30 plus games), no one will even attempt that risk as it's there careers are basically over.

It won't end, unless the AFL get serious and throw the book at the Essendon players.

If they only miss 3 or 4 games, it's a risk some players will be willing to take.

If they get 12 to 18 months (30 plus games), no one will even attempt that risk as it's there careers are basically over.

Correct.

Drugs are worth the risk if it means a 3 or 4 game ban. Especially when you consider their first 2 unlikely winnable games are Sydney and the Hawks.

wow, these collingwood guys are screwed..

"The pair have tested positive to the substance clenbuterol, and have been immediately provisionally suspended by the league.
Clenbuterol is an anabolic agent and on the more serious end of the ASADA code, which could result in two-year suspensions for the pair."

wow, these collingwood guys are screwed..

"The pair have tested positive to the substance clenbuterol, and have been immediately provisionally suspended by the league.
Clenbuterol is an anabolic agent and on the more serious end of the ASADA code, which could result in two-year suspensions for the pair."

It's a weight loss drug but I bet they start using the excuse they have asthma or some other breathing issue like that.

By the looks of it; yes.

Not a fait accompli. If the Dons get two years ie max sentence, the AFL can exercise their right to take it back.

IMO they should anyway. He had an advantage over other players on game day. His Brownlow is forever tarnished.

Not a fait accompli. If the Dons get two years ie max sentence, the AFL can exercise their right to take it back.

IMO they should anyway. He had an advantage over other players on game day. His Brownlow is forever tarnished.

I believe they won't.

Back