Essendon players and their fresher legs....?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ari

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 5, 2003
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Ferrari
A hypothetical.... as that's all we can do before the season proper starts. I don't want to go in to the ASADA findings as that would deem this thread to be in the wrong place, and it's not.

Now that it appears Essendons 34 players are legal to play (save for any appeal), is there anyone else here feeling that Essendons slow start to the season could actually prove beneficial come August, September?

Think about it. They've had a lot less lead up and are probably ill-prepared compared to many others clubs. This may be a deficit in the first few weeks of competition, but playing Sydney and Hawthorn mean that they're clubs they would likely lose against anyway. If Essendon lost to Brisbane and St Kilda early on due to being unprepared you would have reason to be upset, but against Sydney and Hawthorn you take that on the chin.

Could Essendon come out fresher at the end of the year and put rights to a Hollywood blockbuster plot line?

A hypothetical.... as that's all we can do before the season proper starts. I don't want to go in to the ASADA findings as that would deem this thread to be in the wrong place, and it's not.

Now that it appears Essendons 34 players are legal to play (save for any appeal), is there anyone else here feeling that Essendons slow start to the season could actually prove beneficial come August, September?

Think about it. They've had a lot less lead up and are probably ill-prepared compared to many others clubs. This may be a deficit in the first few weeks of competition, but playing Sydney and Hawthorn mean that they're clubs they would likely lose against anyway. If Essendon lost to Brisbane and St Kilda early on due to being unprepared you would have reason to be upset, but against Sydney and Hawthorn you take that on the chin.

Could Essendon come out fresher at the end of the year and put rights to a Hollywood blockbuster plot line?
If it worked like that there wouldn't be any pre-season games at all.

No.

Haha. No, I really don't think it will. The preseason games are half-arsed friendlies to most established players, and most players who are any good only played one or two of them anyway.

I don't think it'll make any noticeable difference.

Not having proper pre-season games will hurt them, I expect Sydney to romp home by 10 goals plus. There's only so much match simulation in training you can do, you need actual games though

I'm more concerned about the impact not having played will have on the percentages and potentially points the teams will have in their first few matches.

Sydney and Hawthorn will be the biggest beneficiaries and if they either make top 4 or top 8 due to 4 points and/or a small percentage difference than I think the season will be tainted.

Essendon usually start the season strong and they could win either of those matches.

To be honest though Essendon have really ****ed the AFL since 2013.

Possible but if you look at individual players that miss chunks of the preseason it is usually a negative impact for them as the preseason gets the work into you that carries a player through what is a tough season, apart from that all they really missed was a couple of junk games Im sure they were forced to work harder on the track to make up for that.

Playing Hawthorn and Sydney this early in the year probably benefits Essendon anyway. The Grand Finalists usually take a few weeks to get into gear after having a shorter pre-season than everybody else.

Having said that who knows how it will turn out. I know skills are pretty sloppy in the first round of the NAB cup so that might be the case in round 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's awfully convenient that they were scheduled to play 2 top 4 teams straight up.

How so? Going easy on Essendon or going hard on them?

We lost to GWS last year Rd 1. I don't think we can start bringing out the conspiracy theories.

How so? Going easy on Essendon or going hard on them?

We lost to GWS last year Rd 1. I don't think we can start bringing out the conspiracy theories.

You will be fine this year because we can't be ready to play a game of pressure footy and will most likely be fumbly at best.

Chapman, Daniher, Goddard, Giles and Zaharakis have played. Along with a few younger guys who will feature in the best team. All up probably 1/3 of the side.

2 preseasons games with the restriction on game time is the standard for most senior players in the better teams, some none, some 1 and some 3 but a month or so in to the season playing back to back games any freshness benefit will likely wear off.

I'm hoping most players due to play this week are feeling pretty fresh after only a couple of preseason games and a week off last week. If that's fatigued players already then they aren't recovering correctly.

It's an interesting aside.

If the training has been as intense as some have suggested, away from prying eyes, then Essendon's chances on Saturday might be improved.

For those who like a punt, Essendon are at $4 to win Saturday or the points spread is 24.5+ points. Might be worth a sneaky $5.

Don't think so. No real expert on the matter of course, but there must be a reason for those preseason games. Otherwise all teams would play their most unlikely 22 to get a game...

The other thing is I'd rather win lots early, secure a top 4 place and be able to rest guys through the back end of the season than lose early and have to play hard down to the wire late in the season even if guys started a few weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back