Preview Faceoff: Round 3 vs St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks aussierr, I've downloaded the free app and it says video is unmetered on the iPad (as long as I use the Telstra network direct and not via wifi ... no probs there).

However no joy trying to view match highlights or replays which ought to be easier than live streaming. Various errors. The BF thread has a fair bit of discussion on this but it's predominantly negative, as are many of the apps reviews.

I'd gladly pay $50 for an AFL LIVE season pass ... but not without the ability to see the game live! All the other stuff is window dressing and easily obtained from other sources.

Verdict: Bummer so far. Not hopeful.
Sorry to hear that. You'd think they'd have to improve it pretty quickly though, as that is very poor if the service they're being paid for is not working well.
Did you buy a monthly pass or anything though? From the short amount I read on it you'd have to have at least a monthly pass to be able to view anything like highlights, or replays, I imagine. As I said, I know little about apps, but I would be surprised if you were able to view replays without actually paying for at least the monthly pass.

Eh, he'll probably be tagged by Picken who has been in some of the best form of his career over the preseason and the first couple of rounds.

Sorry to hear that. You'd think they'd have to improve it pretty quickly though, as that is very poor if the service they're being paid for is not working well.
Did you buy a monthly pass or anything though? From the short amount I read on it you'd have to have at least a monthly pass to be able to view anything like highlights, or replays, I imagine. As I said, I know little about apps, but I would be surprised if you were able to view replays without actually paying for at least the monthly pass.

Nothing lost so far. Highlights, replays etc are free, but they are available free on the AFL web site anyway so no big loss. The live games are what costs but people report spending the whole match waiting for video to start!

I did notice in the rag today that McCartney made mention of the Chuck Norris of AFL.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...y-tells-bulldogs/story-e6frf9jf-1226323021496

I don't mean to wave a red towel at a raging bull but your blokes will have to deal with his nemesis this weekend namely Lenny Hayes.

It should be a close game.

I've always had a lot of time for Hayes and he usually plays very well against us. He may be in his twilight years but still very dangerous.

Picken may still go to NDS, but you guys need to watch out for Picken. He has become a big possession winner in his own right. Maybe not as clean delivery as NDS or Hayes but still does some damage. And that's while stopping his opposite number!

Picken may still go to NDS, but you guys need to watch out for Picken. He has become a big possession winner in his own right. Maybe not as clean delivery as NDS or Hayes but still does some damage. And that's while stopping his opposite number!

He has been great this year. Kept Kerr to just 7 possessions in round 1 and has been in the best both weeks. The way he now not only takes players out of the game but also is damaging off his own foot is almost comparable to having an extra midfielder running around. Any chance he might go to Goddard? Otherwise it has to be a toss up between NDS and Hayes.

He has become a big possession winner in his own right. Maybe not as clean delivery as NDS or Hayes but still does some damage. And that's while stopping his opposite number!

Sounds like you're talking about Clint Jones.

How many times will Divewoldt flop to the turf this week ? he always dives to the deck 4 or 5 times a game when playing us, i expect no different this week:D

Thanks aussierr, I've downloaded the free app and it says video is unmetered on the iPad (as long as I use the Telstra network direct and not via wifi ... no probs there).

However no joy trying to view match highlights or replays which ought to be easier than live streaming. Various errors. The BF thread has a fair bit of discussion on this but it's predominantly negative, as are many of the apps reviews.

I'd gladly pay $50 for an AFL LIVE season pass ... but not without the ability to see the game live! All the other stuff is window dressing and easily obtained from other sources.

Verdict: Bummer so far. Not hopeful.

I watched Saturday night's game live using it.

It was BRILLIANT.

Two or three dropouts all game.

Worth every cent, IMO.

More than likely can't read anything into it, but Cooney on the Footy Show just mentioned that Ayce will be a good inclusion up forward and in the ruck. There was talk in the Selection thread about him playing maybe down back or permanent full forward, but if what Cooney says has any weight (which it mostly likely doesn't at all) then you could think that the three big guys will rotate through the ruck and up forward.

We're probably going in slightly tall, but I'm not too bothered about it. Need to find out what Ayce can provide at AFL level. The more games we cram into these kids now, the better. He's played two good VFL games in a row, Macca has to send the message to the young players that if they perform they get a game.

I reckon dogs will have slight edge in midfield, and will win by 7 points. Looking forward to it.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23841572&postcount=123

"My preference would be to put Cordy at FF and leave him there. Unfortunately that probably won't happen.

A young player can't be expected to learn and play a role when he's getting jerked around all over the place. And his teammates need to know what their tragets are up forward. Without Cordy there it's a totally different game plan."

With you on this DW. Might just be throwing doubt into the minds of Saints planners. It's a lot to ask of an inexperienced player if they're serious. I'm hopeful they will leave him at ff or in a pocket. Maybe a chop out in the ruck.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23841572&postcount=123

"My preference would be to put Cordy at FF and leave him there. Unfortunately that probably won't happen.

A young player can't be expected to learn and play a role when he's getting jerked around all over the place. And his teammates need to know what their tragets are up forward. Without Cordy there it's a totally different game plan."

With you on this DW. Might just be throwing doubt into the minds of Saints planners. It's a lot to ask of an inexperienced player if they're serious. I'm hopeful they will leave him at ff or in a pocket. Maybe a chop out in the ruck.

Totally agree with you here mate. I would also love to see him stay at FF and see if he can play there permanentlly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree Cords would be better suited to play in one postition, but I just reckon he'll get used around the ground as needed. But maybe we'll go with Wood or Shaggy on Stanley early doors anyway. But they will be giving away a lot in height.

But I would love to see Cordy locked into FF and perhaps pinch hit in the ruck. That way Jones could be played higher, and most of the time we could have 2 monster forwards (Cordy/Roughead/Minson).

This would really stretch the saints just as much as they can stretch us. Gilbert and Blake would have their hands full if one the bigs catches a few early. We need Gia and Dal/Coons to be at the drop. We must be prepared to kick in long and direct to one on ones and give Minson/Roughy/Cords every chance to beat their man one on one. Don't worry about spotting up the lead all the time, just get it in long and strong like we did in the NAB game v the Blues.

Marko looks most likely get Riewoldt, with Lake playing on the deeper forwards. Big job for Marko, don't expect he'll be able to beat him, but needs to give a honest contest as always.

Murph takes Milne, and I'd play Griff on Goddard. I'd put the hard Picken tag on Dal Santo or Montagna with Cross matched to the one Picken does not take, but not playing the hard tag.

Smith to be sub, I think he's the kind of guy that would come on and go 100 miles and hour and impact. Plus we need to manage him in his first year.

Grant is the other option, but I don't like him playing as a sub.

IIRC, didn't Cross play a negating role on Fisher across half back last year?
Be interesting to see if something similar happens, because Fisher is a large part of their forward drive.
Problem is, you can't tag so many people. Or at least you shouldn't.

IIRC, didn't Cross play a negating role on Fisher across half back last year?
Be interesting to see if something similar happens, because Fisher is a large part of their forward drive.
Problem is, you can't tag so many people. Or at least you shouldn't.

Yeah Fisher can be very dangerous if he's left to run free up there, but we don't really have anybody for him, rather then maybe Cross. I wonder if there would be potential for Murphy to go forward to counter this? The problem is if we start playing our players out of position to get the right matchups, we are playing the game on their terms.

Would be a huge win by the Bulldogs if they could manage it.
Williams, Morris and Gilbee missing from the backline and 10 players in the team, (Wood, Markovic, Cordy, Dahlhaus, Djerrkura, Grant, Jones, Liberatore, Roughead and Smith) who have played less than 50 games each.
This represents nearly half the team named for this game.
Big ask and huge task.

Is going to be hard but think if we can get the ball in to 1 on 1's with either Minno or Cordy up forward we have a good chance. Atleast improve on the forward 50 entries from alst week (we were atrocious in that area). Lets get it to our forward advantage and get a decent score on the board. If we dont take our chances the saint will make us pay!

I think we now have a much better forward line set-up. It'll almost be like the way WCE forward line was structured against us albeit without the talent. They had the 3 talls, Kennedy, resting ruck and Darling and it wasn't fun to defend. I think for the most part of the game we'll have Cordy, resting ruck and Jones down there with Cooney/Dalhaus/Grant/Gia/Higgins playing small.

I really like the look of this kind of 22, still think we need to inject more pace with Sherman and Tutt.

I think we now have a much better forward line set-up. It'll almost be like the way WCE forward line was structured against us albeit without the talent. They had the 3 talls, Kennedy, resting ruck and Darling and it wasn't fun to defend. I think for the most part of the game we'll have Cordy, resting ruck and Jones down there with Cooney/Dalhaus/Grant/Gia/Higgins playing small.

I really like the look of this kind of 22, still think we need to inject more pace with Sherman and Tutt.
Agree with the pace comment, but I think we can get away with it this week as the Saints aren't overly blessed with pace either. Really want Sherman to step up for Willy this week, I think the two players you mentioned would be the most effective in the sub role, replacing one of the three talls.

Hey guys, interesting to read your takes on the game. Mind if I have a go from a Saints perspective?

Line-up:
B Geary Simpkin Blake
HB Gilbert Fisher Dempster
C Montagna Dal Santo Goddard
HF Milera Riewoldt Steven
F Milne Koschitzke Stanley
Foll McEvoy Hayes Armitage
Inter Jones Newnes Ledger Cripps

Saints Preview:
In all likelihood St Kilda are going through a rebuilding phase as we try to unearth and develop some young talent over the next couple of years in order to have another crack whilst the likes of Dal Santo, Montagna, Fisher and Goddard are still around as veterans. (Assuming we keep hold of them all of course.) Question is how low will the team fall whilst doing this? We're hoping we can do it Sydney style and continue to scrape in to the 8 whilst blooding the new guys. Against Port the Saints were disappointing in contested possession, whilst last week we stepped it up big time against the easybeat Suns.

At the Selector's Table:
No change. Though expect Cripps to drop to the bench and Tom Ledger, an up and coming clearance machine, to start.

The Game:
Which St Kilda midfield will turn up? Ball in hand we have guns like Dal Santo and Goddard who can and have cut up many teams. Our clearance work is reliant on the likes of Hayes, who traditionally does well against the Dogs, Montagna, who has been relatively quiet so far this season, and the younger brigade of Steven and Armitage. There's a lot expected of these latter two, and they have given inconsistent performances in the 2 games so far.

Down back we lack a genuine key tall, and prefer not to have to play Sam Fisher in a purely negating role. Compared to last year we are missing Dawson, Ray, Baker, and in particular the excellent Gwilt, who is back in full training but probably still 6 weeks or so away from a return from an ACL reco sustained last year. However, I don't see any real menace in the Dogs forward line, so the team defence is likely to be able to hold the Dogs from getting any real dominance in that area.

Up forward, whisper it quietly, but the Saints are no longer so much of a "kick it to Roo" team. Last week he played much better compared to round 1, but the real story is that all of Roo, Kosi, Stanley, Milne and Milera are contributing. It's only two rounds in, but already we're seeing the nucleus of a new attacking approach.

Players to Watch:
Nick Riewoldt - A faded star or is there life in the champ left yet? Unlikely to rip up a team on his own any more, but with the Saints changing multi-pronged attack he could profit without needing to be the only forward Tall target for the Saints.

Lenny Hayes - Had a great game in the engine room last week, expect more of the same as the Dogs onballers battle it out with him and his young lieutenants for midfield superiority

Terry Milera - silky skills. Slight but deceptively strong, we're rapt with this guy in his first two games of AFL. Won't be the difference between the teams, but I hope you guys enjoy seeing his talent in action. Glides over the turf. Check out his goal of the round contender from last week for a taster (http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/16412/default.aspx)

Prediction:
Important game for both sides. Lose this one and whilst it is early in the season Saints fans can realistically expect that finals footy is unlikely this year as Port and the Bulldogs are 2 games that we would expect to win if the top 8 is to be a prospect. However, I expect the team to rise to the challenge, especially at Etihad on a Saturday night. Saints by 25 points.

Horses for courses. I thought Dickson was stiff (no pun intended) to miss but reading the Saints perspective gives a bit of insight into the MC thinking. Trying to stretch this Sainters backline maybe we don't have to be precision perfect with our forward 50's if the big men can provide a target. We know that all 3 of Cordy, Minno and Roughy can go forward and kick goals. It would not surprise me if Cordy sat at FF with just a few stints rucking.

It will be very imposing with Cordy and Minno working out of the goal square as I can't really name a true full back for the sainters.

So much depends on locking the ball in though. Dahlhaus DJ and Grant will be crucial as there will be heaps of crumbing opportunities.

Great write up for the saint POV and have noticed riewoldt not getting the ball inside 50 much and pushing deep into the centre and wings as a link. Smart decision as he was getting double teamed (why wouldnt you) so is alot more effective playing that kind of roll.

Goodluck and hope its a great game!

Horses for courses. I thought Dickson was stiff (no pun intended) to miss but reading thes Saints perspective gives a bit of insight into the MC thinking. Trying to stretch this Sainters backline maybe we don't have to be precision perfect with our forward 50's if the big men can provide a target. We know that all 3 of Cordy, Minno and Roughy can go forward and kick goals. I would not surprise me if Cordy sat at FF with just a few stints rucking.

It will be very imposing with Cordy and Minno working out of the goal square as I can't really name a true full back for the sainters.

So much depends on locking the ball in though. Dahlhaus DJ and Grant will be crucial as there will be heaps of crumbing opportunities.

Losing Zac Dawson hurt them pretty badly, structurally. They don't really have any big KPD anymore. Fisher and Gilbert are their tallest, and they prefer to use Fisher in an attacking way, rather than just stopping his opponent (which he still does well).

I was sure that they would take Talia in the draft, because they hardly have anyone coming through from the junior ranks to fill that spot either. Simpkin and Gwilt are both sort of tall, but not big enough to take the really big forwards, imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back