Fantastically scathing article about Channel Nine

Remove this Banner Ad

You'd hope the reception the commentary piece received would mean Nine makes some changes but they aren't doing another game until November so they'll probably hope everyone's forgotten.

You'd hope the reception the commentary piece received would mean Nine makes some changes but they aren't doing another game until November so they'll probably hope everyone's forgotten.
And I look forward to their first viewer poll - "Do you think the Nine commentary team are fantastic?" followed by "Who is your favourite Nine commentator?", with Brad out the back pumping in votes as fast as he can while other Nine employees take to Twitter to gush over the awesomeness of Heals, Slats and the gang.

I am sure enough people will diarize the article so it reappears just in time for next season. :)

Billy Birmingham has more ammo for a new round of 12th Man recordings. Get to it Billy.
I think the opposite is true. The fact that the current commentary team are such ludicrous, terrible, over-the-top caricatures makes it a lot more difficult for Billy to do his 12th Man stuff. How can you parody what already appears to be a parody or a real commentary team?

It reminds me of a comedian (can't remember who, might have been Tony Martin) talking about political satire. His point was people like Bush Jr and Bjelke-Petersen were so insane and what these guys were doing and saying was already so hilarious/stupid that the jokes wrote themselves and in most cases were too obvious to bother doing, so there was not really any work to be done by comedians. He was lamenting the loss of Howard who, while still ripe for parody, was actually smart/competent enough to make comedians work for their jokes.

Richie, Bill, Tony, Ian, etc. were great at their jobs but had enough humorous characteristics and trademarks that Billy could exaggerate for his albums.

How can you possibly parody Slater, Healy, Brayshaw and Warne? Sorry... I mean Slats, Heals, JB and Warnie.

Last edited:
I think the opposite is true. The fact that the current commentary team are such ludicrous, terrible, over-the-top caricatures makes it a lot more difficult for Billy to do his 12th Man stuff. How can you parody what already appears to be a parody or a real commentary team?

It reminds me of a comedian (can't remember who, might have been Tony Martin) talking about political satire. His point was people like Bush Jr and Bjelke-Petersen were so insane and what these guys were doing and saying was already so hilarious/stupid that the jokes wrote themselves and in most cases were too obvious to bother doing, so there was not really any work to be done by comedians. He was lamenting the loss of Howard who, while still ripe for parody, was actually smart/competent enough to make comedians work for their jokes.

Richie, Bill, Tony, Ian, etc. were great at their jobs but had enough humorous characteristics and trademarks that Billy could exaggerate for his albums.

How can you possibly parody Slater, Healy, Brayshaw and Warne? Sorry... I mean Slats, Heals, JB and Warnie.
I thought there was an angle with a declining Richie sitting at home listening to the drivel and going completely off tap, comes up with the idea of hosting an Australia Day BBQ at his place, as a covert operation to plan the overthrow the commentary box and reclaim the CCP, featuring chats with Kerry and Tony up in the Sky.billy has more ammunition than ever before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought there was an angle with a declining Richie sitting at home listening to the drivel and going completely off tap, comes up with the idea of hosting an Australia Day BBQ at his place, as a covert operation to plan the overthrow the commentary box and reclaim the CCP, featuring chats with Kerry and Tony up in the Sky.billy has more ammunition than ever before.
Now that I could see being awesome. I thought you meant it would be primarily based on the current commentary team.

Indeed.

And, in line with Geoff Lemon's criticisms, the current line-up team is totally homogenous. They're basically all middle-aged Aussie blokes singing from the same sheet.

Their predecessors had more idiosyncrasies.

I should probably know this, but:

CCP?

^^This. It would actually be the most scathing edition yet in that it didn't actually focus on the current commentators, so is their shitness.

Right now, I'd take the concept of Boned where Billy Birmingham impersonated them all on channel 9 to cut costs, the quality would probably still be higher.

Indeed.

And, in line with Geoff Lemon's criticisms, the current line-up team is totally homogenous. They're basically all middle-aged Aussie blokes singing from the same sheet.

Their predecessors had more idiosyncrasies.

Yep. The previous edition wasn't a balanced international commentary team, but they still had Tony Cozier, Michael Holding, David Gower, guest appearances by Indian or Pakistani commentators and the occasional New Zealander. At the heart of the team was Tony Greig, who dug into the Aussies like a master troll and, strangely, seemed to watch Sri Lanka semi-erect.

The current bunch have all ticked the "Former Australian Test player" box and that's it. The current Englishman isn't a patch on Greig, because he's either been told to shut up or he doesn't want to offend.

For all Healy (Heals) and Slater's (Slat's) *-up-erry, the low point for me was when Brayshaw (Braysh) gave us his opinion on Indian fast bowling and then told the country he didn't even know who the coach was. It's your ******* job to know mate ... if you were doing it properly.

Oh, and to keep Google Alert on its toes, Brad McNamara.

Worse than that, it's as if the current bunch of *******s have decided to make their own version of the 12th Man.

It was the great Tony Martin. In cricket nowadays, you couldn't parody the current bunch because they're already a parody. If you ran a joke about Michael Slater on his knees in front of his Davey Warner shrine, it wouldn't work because you knew it was probably true.

If you wanted to parody anyone at the moment, it would probably be James Sutherland. Same level of ineptness sometimes, but he thinks he's doing a really, really, really good job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back