List Mgmt. Farewell Ablett - Officially back to the Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I’m seriously starting to think it won’t get done, both parties unwilling to budge.

It looks to me that it's not about the clubs or Ablett being unwilling to budge but it's just a difficult situation given each club's needs. Pick 19 or 22 is in the general scheme of things slight overs for Ablett. But those picks are a lot more valuable to Geelong than Gold Coast so trading that doesn't make sense. Similarly our second rounder is slight unders but it's got basically zero value to Gold Coast so again it makes not sense for that trade to be done. So it's got to be either a bloke like Lang, which we seem happy with but he doesn't want to go at the moment, or we facilitate another player to go to the Gold Coast. Hopefully we can help get Weller to Gold Coast and everyone comes out happy. So the hold-up isn't Ablett's worth it's just finding a way to turn the picks and players that Geelong have into the player of use to the Gold Coast.

I’m seriously starting to think it won’t get done, both parties unwilling to budge.

Both parties have said the other is acting with goodwill so i think the spirit is good. I think its just tricky because we are probably happy to hand over 35 but you have too many second rounders so need to organise pick swaps etc. And you would prefer a player to picks and we are happy to send lang but he hasn't agreed to go yet. I think swallow agreeing to go to GC will probably open up the necessary pick swaps to get it done.

Evans made Ablett and Pickering aware of our conditions in September, here we are a month later and those conditions have not been met.

I think its more got to do with this trade needing to involve players going to GC and multiple clubs meant it was always going to get done late in the piece.

Both parties have said the other is acting with goodwill so i think the spirit is good. I think its just tricky because we are probably happy to hand over 35 but you have too many second rounders so need to organise pick swaps etc. And you would prefer a player to picks and we are happy to send lang but he hasn't agreed to go yet. I think swallow agreeing to go to GC will probably open up the necessary pick swaps to get it done.

From your side of the fence, does it look like Lang is leaning towards Carlton, GC or staying?

From your side of the fence, does it look like Lang is leaning towards Carlton, GC or staying?

We haven't really heard. From what we have heard GC presented well and he was quite happy with them it's just whether he wants to move outside Victoria (same issue Watts had). Carlton chased him in the Tuohy trade last year so not surprised they are doing so again.

We haven't really heard. From what we have heard GC presented well and he was quite happy with them it's just whether he wants to move outside Victoria (same issue Watts had). Carlton chased him in the Tuohy trade last year so not surprised they are doing so again.

Without knowing too mcuh of what Stewie Dew is going to bring to the SUNS, I have this gut feeling that Lang would really fit his plans. I hope for all parties I am right and this gets sorted, as early as tomorrow!

Without knowing too mcuh of what Stewie Dew is going to bring to the SUNS, I have this gut feeling that Lang would really fit his plans. I hope for all parties I am right and this gets sorted, as early as tomorrow!

Lang could be the bargain of the trade period wherever he goes. Not many players his age perform like he did in the semi final and then go for a fairly junk pick. I said when Ablett announced he wanted to get home that GC should try and get Lang and GHS (mainly for leadership) for Ablett. I think that would be a very good result for you guys. Personally I hope he stays with us.

Perhaps we could help with the Weller trade. Maybe something like:

Gold Coast: In - Weller, picks 5 and 35. Out - Ablett, Picks 2, 21 and 24/26
Geelong: In - Ablett, Picks 21 and 24/26. Out - Picks 19, 22 and 35.
Fremantle: In - Picks 2, 19 and 22. Out - Weller, Pick 5

It really depends how the various clubs rate the particular draft picks but something like that might be the backbone of a deal.

I think there are enough players nominating the sun's if Geelong can help us get them it will be alright pick 19/22 would be great but pick 35 would still be useful as it looks likely we'll be trying to package up picks to move up and try to get a top12 pick for freo to hand over weller.

I think there are enough players nominating the sun's if Geelong can help us get them it will be alright pick 19/22 would be great but pick 35 would still be useful as it looks likely we'll be trying to package up picks to move up and try to get a top12 pick for freo to hand over weller.
Seems like it may be the case. Wouldn’t offer 19/22 for Watts but wouldn’t give them 35 either and he went for 31. Seems that pick may be reserved for something in the next two days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How so, we can get Swallow ourselves for a surplus pick?

How so, we can get Swallow ourselves for a surplus pick?

I think it might be something like we send lang to you and some sort of pick upgrade or pick swap to north for swallow and we pay a bit of lang's wage. But who knows really time will tell.

George Horlin Smith, who albeit a tad slow, has a lot more to offer than a cooked Andrew Swallow, yet the GC have knocked him back and welcomed the latter. And from reports GHS was willing to go, weird.

George Horlin Smith, who albeit a tad slow, has a lot more to offer than a cooked Andrew Swallow, yet the GC have knocked him back and welcomed the latter. And from reports GHS was willing to go, weird.
because he's s**t he wouldn't get a game in our best 22 it's very simple

Have we welcomed swallow?

because he's s**t he wouldn't get a game in our best 22 it's very simple
He's not actually. Obviously he'd struggle to get a regular spot in any flag contender team but in a bottom dwelling side he'd be comfortably in the Best 22.

Have we welcomed swallow?
Not, but didn't rule it out immediately like it happened with GHS so I'd imagine the GC are giving it some consideration.

piss off dickhead. as you've been told, he's s**t. don't disgrace our board with his welfare city name again.

A.swallow will provide offield presence with strong leadership and development for our youth. Will also assist in retaining one of our best players his brother David. While at the same time providing the same onfield efforts as GHS. GHS I'm sure is a great bloke but doesn't have the leadership qualities and respect we are looking to add.

When I have watched Lang..he always looked better around the ball.. he best form in the VFL was when as a mid yet in the AFL he struggled for mid time. It sounds like that is a key, he wants time as a mid ..listening to TR this morning. Like a lot of players he draws mixed opinions depends on what you like in players I guess but I like Lang ..he is more a footballer than some athlete that has learned how to play the game.. Is that the type of player you feel Dew will be after?

Because we will get swallow for basically nothing where as you want to use George in trade for Ablett. It’s a pretty easy equation when you think about it

If we pick up Swallow, it will be solely to stand up in the midfield for 12-24 months only and enable the young mids to develop. We're under no illusions in what he will bring to the club and know he's not the future.
But he's a 3 times Nth B & F, and as captain led them into 2 prelims. He has earnt respect and I can see an off field role for him when he retires.
GHS can't get a senior game in the prime of his career. There is your answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back