Universal Love Farewell David Ellard - announced retirement today

Remove this Banner Ad

Such a magnificent clubman. Something that is very very undervalued IMO when taking about players.
He wasn't a superstar, just a solid citizen who tried his absolute not to disgrace his club or himself

If we could somehow implant Davey's work ethic into Yarran's body you would get Andrew McLeod........

Thanks for your contribution mate

Such a magnificent clubman. Something that is very very undervalued IMO when taking about players.
He wasn't a superstar, just a solid citizen who tried his absolute not to disgrace his club or himself

If we could somehow implant Davey's work ethic into Yarran's body you would get Andrew McLeod........

Thanks for your contribution mate

I think he and Armfield are two of my favourites for similar reasons.

Never drop their head and always put the team first.

He's got a trade, there's a bubba on the way, and he was working on opening up a cafe. Sounds like he's gonna have his hands full!
It would be great if he could contribute some way at the northern blues. Either as a player or assistant coach.
His preparation and knowledge of the system would be invaluable to our young list

Thought he was a very good player for us in our finals playing years. Struggled with injury for a little while, and then we were rubbish and his deficiencies were a bit more pronounced without protection.

The moment I remember most about him was his long bomb against the Roos at Etihad. Pretty sure that was the game that Henderson first started back on Petrie and destroyed him....and Duigan did some unbelievable courageous marking coming back with the flight....but Ellard provided the moment that probably got us the win by bombing it from about 60m out on the run, never in doubt

(hopefully my memory isn't too skewiff, the games tend to blend after a while lol)

Best of luck in your future endeavours, Davey!

As far as I can tell was a good bloke, good clubman, valued member of the team. Those are pretty good attributes!

He always battled to make an impact at AFL level, and that I think (harsh but fair) is just down to limited size and natural talent. But he sure tried hard, and that was born out in some ridiculous tackle counts over the years. He sure competed!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could do with a few more players with Ellard's work ethnic. An absolute work horse who never dropped his head and played his role no matter what, for the benefit of the team. Seems like a great bloke too, Good luck Davey:thumbsu:

Retirement seems a bit odd but as long as he's happy, I couldn't care less!

All the best Davey, it's been a pleasure :thumbsu:
2 concussions this year. He has probably had a couple of others over the years as well. With a baby on the way, I would want all my wits about me long term as well.

In his retirement video, he says that he is going to be playing on somewhere... hopefully at the Bullants.

We wish.

Even this thread title plays out what Ellard was and will be to the CFC; David Ellard Announced Retirement .... Dear.
That's exactly what you become to your peers when you work as hard as you have for your club.....Well done and thanks David.:thumbsu:

Another guy who got the best out of himself and achieved a lot, did well. Was small, slow and didn't have too many tricks but was a competitor and worked pretty hard, plenty of respect for the way he went about it.

Thanks Dave. Not the most talented player but someone who always gave it his all. A couple of years ago there was a period where I felt that he did many under the radar things in a number of our important victories.

Will be missed more than people think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back