Movie Fast and Furious 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Worked opening night tonight and basically every session (we're talking every half an hour) from 6:30 until 11 ended up being sold out or 95% full. Easily the busiest night I've ever worked and tomorrow will probably surpassed that.

Saw the film after my shift and I've only seen F&F6 and now 7. But I definitely started choking up at that ending. Amazing.

Last edited:
'Furious 7’ is creepy and long

By Mick LaSalle April 2, 2015

If “Jaws” were made by the people who made “Furious 7,” it would be 137 minutes of shark attacks — no suspense, no human interest, just blood in the water, followed by blood in the water, and then blood in the water.

The action comes so fast and furious in “Furious 7” that, for all the explosions and overturned cars and missiles fired on downtown Los Angeles, it becomes a dull muddle. Here and there, we get the imaginative and outrageous stunts this series is famous for, but mostly the movie plods along, muscling through without much life or spirit.

We shouldn’t be surprised. Paul Walker died midway through shooting: and, in retrospect, it seems a mistake to have gone ahead and completed the film. At the very least the way in which they chose to make “Furious 7” seems crazy and macabre. Instead of killing off his character or writing him out of the picture, the filmmakers apparently used body doubles (Walker’s brothers) to whom they attached Walker’s face through computer imaging.

The problem is it’s incredibly obvious when Walker is really there and when he’s not. He’s alive, for example, throughout the long sequence in Abu Dhabi. He’s talking, he’s present, he’s active as a full-fledged co-star. But for most of the movie he’s just off to the side with a glazed, goofy expression on his face, as though saying, “Don’t mind me, I’ll just stand here being dead, if you please.”

Though done with the intention of preserving his work and honoring his memory, this reanimation of Walker does a disservice to the actor, turning him into a cyberzombie and forcing him into a bad performance. His reactions — found reactions, pasted onto someone else’s face — are invariably wrong, or at least a little off. Plus, whenever people talk to him, except in Abu Dhabi, they do all the talking. He just grunts or smiles or says yes or no.

To say this takes you out of the movie isn’t enough. It takes you out of the movie and then makes you imagine Walker’s death (in a car crash), and then further reminds you that the other actors, supposedly looking at him, are actually people who have recently attended his funeral. It’s creepy in a way movies have never been creepy before. And as this technology improves, this may be the herald of more creepiness to come.

The story picks up almost immediately after “Furious 6,” in which Dom (Vin Diesel) and his gang of race car drivers helped save London from a mad terrorist. Now the terrorist’s even worse brother (Jason Statham) is out for revenge, which sounds like the makings of a good action movie, but is, in fact, a comedown. Last time, millions of people were at stake. This time, only a few racing enthusiasts are targeted for destruction.

But the sluggishness of imagination is most apparent in the action scenes themselves. A revealing moment comes when Dominic finds himself with his back to a cliff and the front of his car blocked by about 10 parked cars with guys pointing guns at him. What will he do next?

If you’ve seen the other movies in the series, you get ready for something amazing. But no. He just turns his car around and drives off the cliff. That’s his escape plan. Or, more accurately, that’s the screenwriter’s escape plan. Why paint your lead character into a corner if you haven’t figured out how to get him out?

Perhaps it’s no coincidence that the best action sequences in “Furious 7” involve Walker. There’s a scene in which he has to escape a bus that’s about to fall from a great height, and another crazy moment in which he and Diesel drive a car through the three Etihad Towers in Abu Dhabi. But those are really the only two scenes in “Furious 7” that have the old “Fast & Furious” magic.

The movie contains an epilogue, of sorts, in which Dominic (but really Diesel) talks in an elegiac way about having to leave his best friend, Brian (but really Walker). It’s weird and awkward, but it’s an authentic moment that comes closest to acknowledging the technological artifice and making art out of it. But by then, we’re already more than two hours into a failed experiment, and there’s no turning things around

Mick LaSalle is The San Francisco Chronicle’s movie critic. E-mail: mlasalle@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @MickLaSalle

I really liked it, but then again I'm a 22 year old male who has enjoyed the franchise heavily. I'd recommend it

I think to enjoy most of the films you have to be a fan of the series and understand why it is the way it is, which sits comfortably with me. I thought 7 was fantastic, better than 6 by a mile, but probably on par with fast 5, if not better by about a quarter mile.

I don't want to mention too much about what happens, because even I was surprised, despite the amount of time I spent looking at behind the scenes images and stuff like that.

I know in the past I've harped on about being a big Paul Walker fan, so I won't keep that going too much. But a lot of the stuff with Paul had me trying my best not to cry to be honest. My missus was a bit of a fan of him in his later years too, she cried twice.

I think my comparison to 5 and 6 above sums it up best, if you don't like the series or haven't watched most of the previous films, then best not bother imo.

Well said mcuzzy I like your post.

You can never talk too much about Paul Walker. It took me until his death to realise actually what a good person he was, never heard about any of his behind the scenes work till then. That ending made me wanna cry, also when he was on the phone to Mia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who have seen it, check the spoiler, there's nothing ground breaking in there but I didn't want to annoy others who haven't seen it if I let something slip.

With that ending, how are they going to do number 8 do you think? Since Paul Walker had apparently done the acting for some of that movie, or will they just cut clean and re-start?

For those who have seen it, check the spoiler, there's nothing ground breaking in there but I didn't want to annoy others who haven't seen it if I let something slip.

With that ending, how are they going to do number 8 do you think? Since Paul Walker had apparently done the acting for some of that movie, or will they just cut clean and re-start?
His brother would take his place apparently. Not sure whether he would be a new character, or if he would take over as Brian. If he did stay on as Brian, it would be interesting if they used CGI or just decided to run with a clean slate

All of the Fast and Furious films are entertaining.

However, only the first one is what can be considered a 'good' film.

It is basically a collection of various heists, no different from the last few films, and it is very boring and formulaic at this stage. Not repetitive enough? Then let's get Roman to make some smart-ass comments, the Rock to flex his muscles etc. I did enjoy the film for what it is - a mindless action film - and the ending was pretty well done. It is just a shame that the series spun off into a parody of itself rather than retain the quality of the first film.

I enjoyed the first three movies when they were actually about car racing. From then it turned into an action movie with cars thrown in here and there.

I knew what to expect when going in to watch FF7 but was still disappointed. I expect over the top action but it was so over the top it might as well been called "Marvel super heroes"

The Paul Walker tribute was a nice touch though.

I enjoyed the first three movies when they were actually about car racing. From then it turned into an action movie with cars thrown in here and there.
The second movie was an action movie with cars thrown in here and there. Haven't seen the third one.

The second movie was an action movie with cars thrown in here and there. Haven't seen the third one.

There was a lot more car action and the movie is more centered around cars. After the third the story is more focused on heists and other crap.

There was a lot more car action and the movie is more centered around cars. After the third the story is more focused on heists and other crap.
I liked the second movie a lot but wasn't it mainly about taking down a drug dealer?

The scene were all of the cars burst out of the large warehouse was pretty sick though.

I enjoyed the first three movies when they were actually about car racing. From then it turned into an action movie with cars thrown in here and there..

That was done intentionally to stop the series from fading out, there's only so much you can do just with street racing, also to take some attention away from the underground street racing scene itself. Everyone wanted more over the top action and less boring races, that's one of the reasons why Fast 5 was such a popular breakout in the series and also one of the cited reasons why Tokyo Drift is and was the least favourite among fans, even before they announced a 4th film.

However I do wish we got to see the race against the Porsche in Fast 5, but it made for a funny scene anyway.

It is just a shame that the series spun off into a parody of itself rather than retain the quality of the first film.

I think this is more lack of understanding. It's almost like a hidden joke. One of the most popular yet subtle qualities of that first film was that it was so stupid, even though they tried to be serious. Actual racers and people who knew about cars liked the movie, but at the same time they were laughing at how incorrect and ridiculous most of it was. Why go backwards? Might as well please all the fans and make it more and more ridiculous with each release, which is what they've done and it has proved to be successful.

Last edited:

As far as I know, 6 and 7 were filmed back to back but he didn't get any acting done for 8. Brian won't be in it anymore, but he might get the odd mention or appear in flashbacks of photos.

Apparently it's going to be set in New York. I think the current characters will all be in it.

I think Sean Boswell will come back, as will Monica Fuentez or however you spell her name. After all, she was working for Hobbs at the end of 5.

Mr. Nobody from 7 should be in it again, everyone loved him, hopefully he gets a bigger role too.

I liked seeing the Hector cameo, so maybe bring back Leon or Suki or someone too, maybe Ja Rule or Jimmy. Heck, they brought Letty back from the dead, so why not Johnny Tran and/or Jesse? Why not just bring back Han and Gisele? Sung Kang posted a pic on FB with the caption #hanlives so * it, I'm up for that, even if it means going back in time in a dodge charger time machine.

I also want to know hat happened with Tego Leo and Rico Santos, they were good for an occassional laugh.

To be honest, after 7 I'm just up for anything, even if every good guy from every movie teams up against every bad guy from every movie. (after they use the time machine of course, it's gonna be like dragon ball z where they go back in time and use the earrings to fuse together and become unbeatable)

pqqmthI.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back