Hollywood Labour Dispute and Strikes

Remove this Banner Ad

I suppose that could be true of some shows. Netflix paid $100m to continue showing Friends for one year some years back. Not sure how you calculate what that makes you in terms of sign-ups or whether it's a loss leader to bring people in. Netflix obviously keeping their finances murky, always spending billions each year on its own productions so its hard to assess what is profit and loss. Makes it more important to come up with a simple deal to ensure people get something.
so the existing deals never really covered streaming and the studios and streaming companies are using that to their advantage currently to screw people hard

its why the strikes are happening

they are looking at the video game industry now as well

we're at a tipping point in America with workers and unions vs corporations

over here we see it mostly with workers vs government, like teachers and nurses

the majority of people these strikes are for are people working more than one job or living paycheck to paycheck or both because the system is setup to squeeze those at the bottom to benefit those at the top

and when they can't get anymore out of squeezing the bottom they work their way up / try and remove a layer completely like with AI

I'm always going to be on the workers side against capital, others won't

Could you value the profit of something like a show or film upfront? Maybe, pretty ******* hard to estimate what a film will make, nigh on impossible for a show (especially streaming direct). Exactly as Gralin poins out, what is the benefit to the studio to say that Barbie is gonna make a billion dollars at the box office and then go on to make another billion in syndication etc etc?

It's not unique to film and television.

Authors make more from a successful book.

Musicians from a successful album.

Live shows and concerts, you sell more tickets you make more for being part of it.

Sports people get match payments and other performance bonuses.

…2 months….
this doesn't look like its going to end

currently there are individual studios doing deals so they can go back to work and that might be what happens where the smaller ones do deals and go back to work and the big ones keep trying to starve out the workers

this doesn't look like its going to end

currently there are individual studios doing deals so they can go back to work and that might be what happens where the smaller ones do deals and go back to work and the big ones keep trying to starve out the workers

Well, there’s always Sean Penn’s wild interview with Variety.

I ask him his thoughts on the Hollywood strikes. He is particularly livid over the studios’ purported lust for the likenesses and voices of SAG actors for future AI use. He has an idea that he is convinced will break the logjam. It starts with Penn and a camera crew being in a room with studio heads. Penn will then offer trade: “So you want my scans and voice data and all that. OK, here’s what I think is fair: I want your daughter’s, because I want to create a virtual replica of her and invite my friends over to do whatever we want in a virtual party right now. Would you please look at the camera and tell me you think that’s cool?”

Its hard to see a right or wrong here.

plenty of people have been made unemployed by the writers strike who arent writers and will get nothing if the writers negotiate a good deal. Why should camera men lose their livelihood for 6 months for no upside for them?

at the same time the writers do seem to currently have a bad deal.

there needs to be a better way of determining rights and pay rather then achaic strikes. Maybe governments should finally step in and think up some proper laws around how to determine workers rights and pay Rather then let employers and employees duel it out in a game of cat and mouse. But this would involve governments actually doing some non partisan work. Oh wait I get it now

there needs to be a better way of determining rights and pay rather then achaic strikes. Maybe governments should finally step in and think up some proper laws around how to determine workers rights and pay Rather then let employers and employees duel it out in a game of cat and mouse. But this would involve governments actually doing some non partisan work. Oh wait I get it now
You're kidding, right? You are aware that we're talking about the USA?

Its hard to see a right or wrong here.

plenty of people have been made unemployed by the writers strike who arent writers and will get nothing if the writers negotiate a good deal. Why should camera men lose their livelihood for 6 months for no upside for them?

at the same time the writers do seem to currently have a bad deal.

i mean if the studios cared they could pay their staff that aren't striking but are impacted

but they'd rather let everyone starve it seems

i mean if the studios cared they could pay their staff that aren't striking but are impacted

but they'd rather let everyone starve it seems
Ofcourse they could. But the employers dont have to pay them by law and they want the strike to end with the writers caving in and they know some of the other staff will blame the writers and put pressure on the writers to cave if they dont get paid as well.

governments have a role to play here by making laws. they could make a law stating that the other staff have to get paid in a writers strike.

Looks like the Writers Guild have come to an agreement, and will soon be ending their strike. The lawyers still have to write the actual contract, and it has to be voted on by about 15 different committees, but they seem to think that's all just a formality. They've called off their picket lines, and the writers are now just waiting for word from the Guild, telling them to go back to work.

Source: Breakthrough!: Tentative agreement reached to end 146 day Writers' Strike. | TV Tonight

Of course, there's still the small matter of the Screen Actors Guild. The writers may be going back to work, but they won't have any shows to write for until the actors get back to work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back