FFA Cup Final – Adelaide Utd v Perth Glory Dec 16

Remove this Banner Ad

What about weekday Eagles and Dockers? plenty of fans. They won't turn up though because our city is sleepy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FFA_Cup

Figures are sourced from the match reports on the FFA website http://www.theffacup.com.au

Last night attracted 3,899.

Sydney FC v Adelaide United got 3,536.

Adelaide United v Brisbane Roar got 4,053.

Adelaide United v Wellington Phoenix got 2,804.

Newcastle Jets v Perth Glory got 2,877.

That's the figures for all matches involving two A-League clubs in the comp so far.

If you look at all the crowd figures for all games, only three has exceeded 5,000. They were the South Coast Wolves v Central Coast (5,238), Tuggeranong United v Melbourne Victory (5,150) and Sydney United v Sydney FC (8,125).

So the 'poor' crowd last night was not because Perth's a sleepy town. It's because the competition hasn't got the high profile yet to attract big crowds.

Shhhh. :mad:;)

They did have a pretty tough draw though (even though they avoided A-League clubs); playing two games away that they were expected to lose and one at home against an opponent who beat an A-League side.
Id say Adelaide City beating the Wanderers would be the story of the Cup so far

Perth V ....... in the final.

Two day break, that is harsh.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25423815/glory-face-ffa-cup-fixture-row/

A row is brewing between Perth Glory and Football Federation Australia over the scheduling of the club's FFA Cup semifinal with second-tier Victorian outfit Bentleigh Greens.

Glory were rewarded for beating Melbourne Victory 4-2 after extra time in last week’s dramatic quarterfinal with a semifinal against Bentleigh in Melbourne.

But thewest.com.au understands FFA is planning the semifinal to be played on Tuesday, just two days after Glory’s round-five A-League match away to Central Coast in Gosford.

The busy schedule comes not long after Glory finished a tough run of three matches in seven days, culminating in the 2-1 A-League win over Newcastle Jets last Sunday.

FFA could confirm the semifinal schedule as early as this afternoon.

It is believed the other semifinal, between Adelaide United and Central Coast in South Australia, will be played on the Wednesday.

Glory are privately seething that FFA has not given more consideration to their heavy travel burden, which is by far the worst in Australian soccer.

To ease the burden, Glory coach Kenny Lowe has been forced to rotate his squad and several players have been on light duties at training.

Star striker Andy Keogh and Rostyn Griffiths were restricted to minimal work this morning, while Youssouf Hersi and Richard Garcia were among those rested last week.

Lowe said his side would stay on the east coast after Sunday’s Central Coast clash and indicated his preference for at least a three-day break between matches.

“Really you need a good three-day turnaround before you play another game to make sure everybody’s safe and well,” Lowe said.

“If you don't do that, maybe you leave the guys open to injury.

“We’ve got to have a good recovery period to make sure that everyone can play again safely.

“That’s the main thing and I'm sure the FFA are looking at that with all the expertise they've got.

“I’m sure they're going to do the right thing by everybody.”

Ruben Zadkovich is a chance to return from a back injury against Bentleigh, while Chris Harold will likely line-up in the youth team this weekend after overcoming a quad complaint.

Brazilian winger Sidnei Sciola (calf) is still a fortnight away.

Harsh???? It's amateur hour again from the FFA treating us in the west with complete contempt. We'll win and win well to spite those ******* suits in Sydney. Unbelievably clueless. We're only told about it officially today too less than a week before the game. Logistical nightmare. ******* idiots..

I'd feel more sympathy for Perth if my team weren't about to do Saudi Arabia, Wellington, Perth in consecutive weeks. Talk about a road trip.

The tie should have been planned better but these extra games are what happens when you win cup games. Simple as that.

Did they justify why you were getting the two day break? As in, do Bentleigh need to play that night for some reason?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theyll do it on their ear and if not....... well it'll make for interesting reading.

Glory complaining about a short turnaround against a team worth 36k in Bentleigh Greens is embarrassing. Get the job done and get on with it ffs. I'll be there backing the underdogs, go greens!!

So a team from the other side of the country is officially told 6 days out that they have to play an extra game just after a trip to regional NSW, arrange flights and accommodation and not complain about it being just slightly unfair. Right okay. If victory had to do that to come over here you'd be wailing like banshees on here. The quality of the opposition is irrelevant. It's the principal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glory complaining about a short turnaround against a team worth 36k in Bentleigh Greens is embarrassing. Get the job done and get on with it ffs. I'll be there backing the underdogs, go greens!!

Not sure if its fair to disadvantage one team over the other, even if one is a minnow. Game should be played on level terms.

So what sort of side to our Perth fans think they'll put out ?? Djite already out for the Reds, Pablo Sanchez likely to return and even Cassio is a sneaky chance.

Teams in Europe play plenty of games 48 hours after another. Happens with FA Cup replays and the like and also league cup games. Yes there is travel involved but it is a once off. And you didn't hear one iota of complaining from Muscat about the 1/4 final tie in Perth despite it clearly affecting the lads towards the end of the game. Got no sympathy for the glory here.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were randomly drawn an away game in Perth, so what could Muscat possibly complain about? The point is that there's scope to delay games if there's clashes or too much overlap, that's what also happens in the FA Cup. A 2-day turnaround is not the same as 3 or 4 days (which is what you see in England given they play on Saturday), it puts Glory at a slight disadvantage.

Yes but the travel from Sydney to Melbourne is hardly taxing. Glory should be thanking the FFA, just saved them the cost of making two return trips. I could understand their concerns if they were playing an a league side but bentleigh greens? Get on with it ffs!!!

Oh and I do believe that Drogba played two games in 48 hours for Chelsea recently against United & then Shreswbury in the league cup. That's a 36 year old bloke playing far more physically taxing football and backing it up 2 days later. I would love for us to have the problem that Glory have now and still be in the cup.

As the great man once famously said:

View attachment 91666

Teams in Europe play plenty of games 48 hours after another. Happens with FA Cup replays and the like and also league cup games. Yes there is travel involved but it is a once off. And you didn't hear one iota of complaining from Muscat about the 1/4 final tie in Perth despite it clearly affecting the lads towards the end of the game. Got no sympathy for the glory here.

The meme. Hilarious.

Why should we have sympathy about travel for the q/f when victory had played on the previous Saturday at home then the following Monday week. That's a ridiculous thing to say. we had travelled the previous weekend too.

You also show me evidence where European clubs have to do this all the time. The only one I know of is rangers in 2008 because of a massive backlog of games due to the UEFA cup. It's always a three day break.

Last edited:
The meme. Hilarious.

Why should we have sympathy anout travel for the q/f when victory had played on the previous Saturday at home then the following Monday. That's a ridiculous thing to say. we had travelled the previous weekend too.

You also show me evidence where European have to do this all the time. The only one I know of is rangers in 2008 because of a massive backlog of games due to the UEFA cup. It's always a three day break.

As stated previously it happens all the time in England with cup comps. Chelsea most notably of late. You'll say there is less travel involved of course but Perth need only travel from Sydney to Melbourne today, play tomorrow and then have a couple of days off. There would be more of a case if you were playing away this weekend meaning 2 trips in the space of a week but you're not. Don't like it feel free to forfeit and we'll quite happily take your spot. We didn't drop anyone and gave the comp our all despite it costing us injuries.

Where in England. Show me a TWO day break. The distance argument is a moot point too, it's the fact it's so soon after the previous game an with 6 days notice.

Where in England. Show me a TWO day break. The distance argument is a moot point too, it's the fact it's so soon after the previous game an with 6 days notice.

Manchester United vs Chelsea Sunday 26th October 4pm Kick off FA Premier League.
Shreswbury Town vs Chelsea Tuesday 28th October 7.45pm Kick off Capital One Cup.

A 36 year old Didier Drogba played in both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back