FIFA WCQ CONMEBOL/OFC Playoff 2nd Leg: Australia v Uruguay Match Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

First football match I ever watched, good choice I think :p

Just read through this thread, that was an amazing moment in sporting history and just to read some of the comments made me feel like I was back in 2005 watching the game :):thumbsu:

What always seems to get lost in the ZOMGJOHNALOISISCOREDAPENALTY fest that gets replayed ad nauseum is the Bresciano goal that gave us the opportunity to win it in penalties.

I'll never forget him scoring and just standing in the middle of the penalty area like a statue until his team mates rushed him. Stirring stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, re-reading this thread and watching the highlights and all of a sudden I am very emotional.

I was at Telstra Stadium this night with the old man and there are no words to describe just how stirring, emotional, fantastic and incredible it was.

The game started at 8 and we arrived there at about 6.30 and the atmosphere even then was incredible. We could hear the noise from about a kilometre away. Getting into the ground and seeing a huge sea of green and gold in the crowd was a magical sight.

We stood behind the goals that the penalty shootout eventually was, amongst the Green and Gold Army. The nerves pre-game were unbearable. I don't think I have ever been so nervous in my life. I felt like I was going to be sick.

The National Anthems - normally wouldn't condone the booing of a national anthem, but this time I did. For one, Uruguay had done it to us and others before so they can't complain, And two, it was about time we started to get nasty and let them know who's territory they were on.

Our national anthem nearly blew me away. You couldn't even hear the singer. It was a deafening, spine-tingling, passionate rendition that all the crowd joined in with - it was sensational. I was I'd caught it on video. After watching the replay you could see some of our blokes were nearly crying.

First 20 minutes or so were unbearable. I thought we were going to get caned. Then we settled and Guus bought Harry on - the moment the game changed.

The noise at the moment Bresh scored was indescribable. About five blokes hugged me simultaneously like a soccer team that had won the World Cup. Jumped up and down shouting and screaming in absolute delirium.

2nd half was absolute torture as we battered them but couldn't put them away. Harry was on fire, Vidmar and Lucas composed at the back, but no goal.

Uruguay had a few chances in the 2nd half and in extra time and every time they so much as approached the penalty area I felt the vomit of fear coming up in my throat.

When the penalty shootout came I was so nervous just before it started that I sat down and just put my head in hands. I was absolutely and utterly convinced we were going to lose. The football gods were probably above us sfellowing sadistically as we came so close yet so far again.

I don't even know how I bought myself to stand up and physically watch the penalties, but I did. When Schwarzer saved the first one we went wild. It was the first time I even allowed myself to think that we'd get through.

I was probably the only one in the stadium who thought Viduka was going to score with his, but he stuffed it up and I felt sick again. I was convinced again that we'd lose. The whole stadium seemed to be.

Schwarzer's next save is the greatest penalty shootout save I have ever seen. To produce a save of that quality, at that moment, under that pressure, was simply unbelievable. The whole place erupted.

I'll never forget the moment when Aloisi was strolling toward the spot. Everyone still jumping about from Schwarzer's save and I suddenly realised and yelled out at everyone "WE GET THIS AND WE"RE THROUGH!!!" The girl behind me suddenly yells "OH MY GOD! NO! REALLY?!?!" and then puts her hand on my shoulder and squeezes it so hard out of sheer nervousness that it actually hurt, quite a bit.

Still wasn't convinced he would do it. This was surely to be the moment the football gods pulled out their ultra sadistic side. The moment from when Aloisi started the run up and the back of the net rippling was only about 3 seconds, but seemed an eternity. We all watched, the stadium was entirely silent the moment Aloisi's boot struck the ball. Then, suddenly, the net rippled.

The roar that followed was one of the greatest, most exhilirating moments I've ever experienced. People hugged everyone and anyone. Amidst the wildest celebrations as people climbed and jumped all over each other I saw Aloisi doing his victory lap and the players chasing after him.

It took us a while to all calm down, but after a while when the players started doing their lap and "Down Under" came on the speaker, I started to cry. Their was something so romantic about the whole thing. Watching a 32 year drought break, the tension, the drama and the sheer passion of the night finally got to me. I looked around and their quite a few people crying too.

It was so emotional for the old Man and I as we'd both witnessed all the heartbreak of the qualifiers in the years before. The old man had actually seen us play at the Cup in 74. I had only been around to see Argentina in 93, Iran in 97 and Uruguay in 2001. That Iran game was the cruelest, most devastating experience ever. I hoped like hell that all the people who were there that night had been there at Telstra Stadium in 2005, or at least had seen it on TV.

The celebrations afterward were pure magic. People dancing in the street, on cars, cars tooting away, it was fantastic. We eventually found a pub and watched the replay. Left at about 4am and everyone was still going nuts. Sydney and indeed the entire nation were hungover the next morning, but no one cared.

It was quite simply the greatest sporting night I have ever witnessed, an amazingly wild ride that I'll remember for ever.

I feel priveleged to have been there.

16 November, 2005 - what a night.

Wow, re-reading this thread and watching the highlights and all of a sudden I am very emotional.

I was at Telstra Stadium this night with the old man and there are no words to describe just how stirring, emotional, fantastic and incredible it was.

The game started at 8 and we arrived there at about 6.30 and the atmosphere even then was incredible. We could hear the noise from about a kilometre away. Getting into the ground and seeing a huge sea of green and gold in the crowd was a magical sight.

We stood behind the goals that the penalty shootout eventually was, amongst the Green and Gold Army. The nerves pre-game were unbearable. I don't think I have ever been so nervous in my life. I felt like I was going to be sick.

The National Anthems - normally wouldn't condone the booing of a national anthem, but this time I did. For one, Uruguay had done it to us and others before so they can't complain, And two, it was about time we started to get nasty and let them know who's territory they were on.

Our national anthem nearly blew me away. You couldn't even hear the singer. It was a deafening, spine-tingling, passionate rendition that all the crowd joined in with - it was sensational. I was I'd caught it on video. After watching the replay you could see some of our blokes were nearly crying.

First 20 minutes or so were unbearable. I thought we were going to get caned. Then we settled and Guus bought Harry on - the moment the game changed.

The noise at the moment Bresh scored was indescribable. About five blokes hugged me simultaneously like a soccer team that had won the World Cup. Jumped up and down shouting and screaming in absolute delirium.

2nd half was absolute torture as we battered them but couldn't put them away. Harry was on fire, Vidmar and Lucas composed at the back, but no goal.

Uruguay had a few chances in the 2nd half and in extra time and every time they so much as approached the penalty area I felt the vomit of fear coming up in my throat.

When the penalty shootout came I was so nervous just before it started that I sat down and just put my head in hands. I was absolutely and utterly convinced we were going to lose. The football gods were probably above us sfellowing sadistically as we came so close yet so far again.

I don't even know how I bought myself to stand up and physically watch the penalties, but I did. When Schwarzer saved the first one we went wild. It was the first time I even allowed myself to think that we'd get through.

I was probably the only one in the stadium who thought Viduka was going to score with his, but he stuffed it up and I felt sick again. I was convinced again that we'd lose. The whole stadium seemed to be.

Schwarzer's next save is the greatest penalty shootout save I have ever seen. To produce a save of that quality, at that moment, under that pressure, was simply unbelievable. The whole place erupted.

I'll never forget the moment when Aloisi was strolling toward the spot. Everyone still jumping about from Schwarzer's save and I suddenly realised and yelled out at everyone "WE GET THIS AND WE"RE THROUGH!!!" The girl behind me suddenly yells "OH MY GOD! NO! REALLY?!?!" and then puts her hand on my shoulder and squeezes it so hard out of sheer nervousness that it actually hurt, quite a bit.

Still wasn't convinced he would do it. This was surely to be the moment the football gods pulled out their ultra sadistic side. The moment from when Aloisi started the run up and the back of the net rippling was only about 3 seconds, but seemed an eternity. We all watched, the stadium was entirely silent the moment Aloisi's boot struck the ball. Then, suddenly, the net rippled.

The roar that followed was one of the greatest, most exhilirating moments I've ever experienced. People hugged everyone and anyone. Amidst the wildest celebrations as people climbed and jumped all over each other I saw Aloisi doing his victory lap and the players chasing after him.

It took us a while to all calm down, but after a while when the players started doing their lap and "Down Under" came on the speaker, I started to cry. Their was something so romantic about the whole thing. Watching a 32 year drought break, the tension, the drama and the sheer passion of the night finally got to me. I looked around and their quite a few people crying too.

It was so emotional for the old Man and I as we'd both witnessed all the heartbreak of the qualifiers in the years before. The old man had actually seen us play at the Cup in 74. I had only been around to see Argentina in 93, Iran in 97 and Uruguay in 2001. That Iran game was the cruelest, most devastating experience ever. I hoped like hell that all the people who were there that night had been there at Telstra Stadium in 2005, or at least had seen it on TV.

The celebrations afterward were pure magic. People dancing in the street, on cars, cars tooting away, it was fantastic. We eventually found a pub and watched the replay. Left at about 4am and everyone was still going nuts. Sydney and indeed the entire nation were hungover the next morning, but no one cared.

It was quite simply the greatest sporting night I have ever witnessed, an amazingly wild ride that I'll remember for ever.

Fantastic post mate. My love affair with the Socceroos started in 1993 when I got into following them in their USA 94 campaign. As a 12 year old I felt completely and utterly devastated when we got knocked out by Argentina. Up until then I'd almost exclusively followed and watched footy only.

I was also at the Iran game in 97 and the Uruguay game in 2001. 16 November 2005 is the greatest moment in Australian sport - the only one that came as close for me was the semi final of the 1999 World Cup when Donald got ran out with scores level and we qualified on run rate - I remember going ballistic then but nowhere near to the same extend as Uruguay in 2005. I can only imagine the scenes if we are lucky enough to host World Cup 2022 and Australia goes on a run like South Korea in 2002.

Brilliant story, I'm sure everyone has one. I flew over with a few mates from Perth to watch that match and the Glory game against Sydney the following Saturday. I must have been around the same area you were because like I said before we were right behind the goals for the shoot out.

It was a shitty day that day and when we first got to that bar next to the stadium but it slowly filled and when the Uruguayan fans walked passed goading us and someone let a flare off in the beer garden the atmosphere was building. Whoever it was buying a round took some 10 to 20 minutes to do so and always came with a story 'You'll never guess who I saw!'..for the record I saw Brad Maloney and Kossy having a beer, Kossy said Australia were 'safe as ****'. Ran in to some old South Melbourne fans I once met when they came over to watch them play and by the time it was time to go to the game I didn't want to leave, the atmosphere was just so special inside the bar and I couldn't bare to see us lose.

When we got in the big Qantas jet with the dodgy engines had just done a fly over and they did a tribure to Johnny Warren on the big screen that was a tad inspiring to say the least. The game was awesome but that's in hingsight, at the time I was ready to spew and I kept going to the toilet just to get away from the tension. You could here the crowd amping up when Uruguay were attacking when I was in the bog but then you would hear a big cheer after Australia had cleared their lines and everyone taking a piss would be washed over with relief.

Being in the wrong seats we were moved further back and I lost a Glory flag I taken with me to the 2005 Confederations Cup and other Socceroos games. I was a little ****ed off about it to be honest but following the match I saw it lying across a bunch of seats dripping with beer and whatever else it had been through during the game, still take that flag with me to all Socceroos games today despite what diseases it may now carry.

Sorry to self indulge but it was one of the great nights for me. Could have kept on typing.

First soccer match I ever partially watched (watched the 2nd extra time and the POS)
thought it was nice

Australia vs Japan at the world cup won me over

slowly got more and more into the game

now follow Adelaide United and FC United of Manchester (I only liked Man U for Tevez and Ronaldo, why hang around once they left? didn't want to jump on Man City with Tevez with that Arab buying it, cause id look like a bandwagon now that they have the money to win it, so I went to the next closest relative to Man U, good Ol' FC United of Manchester :p)

watch alot of soccer now, I watch any Adelaide United game or any EPL game now that's live on foxtel, as well as any world cup related game Australia is in - cbf with Asian Cup qualifying.

and if Australia makes it I'll be going to Brazil 2014.

My first live soccer game will be Jan 2, Adelaide vs Brisbane (already borrowing someones spare ticket) Adelaide better find form by then!

Very good thread...lots of good memories :thumbsu: HAve to laugh at the posts saying we wouldn't be able to beat a side at Germany...A couple of good posters seem to have disappeared as well :) Where is Lowie these days???

Watched the shootout again last night, always get the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up when that Aloisi goal goes in...

Hill and especially Fozza losing it in the box makes it extra special IMO. Can tell how momentous it was not just for the crowd, the players but the fact the trained media blokes lost it as well. What a night it was!

Turns out the Uruguayans offered to pay half of the charter flight fee of 350k for the Montevideo to Sydney flight.

Lowy told em to get stuffed, booked out business class on LAN Chile & forced them to fly economy :)

Yeah I remember something about that at the time Oz - I think we paid extra to help the players with the recovery for the second leg? Uruguay had quite a stark difference in acclimatisation to us IIRC - maybe 5,000 feet above sea level or something like that?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back