finals and who can win the 2023 premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Did they though? They didn't address their backline which wasn't quite up to the task to go all the way.
Yeah Lions and Dogs backlines still suck. WBD expecting an 80yr old Liam Jones will do the trick. Hunter and Dunkley are huge losses imo. I do agree though that the Lions finally HAVE to get to the big dance with the moves they made. Pace is still a concern as is a pretty ordinary back 6.

Cats and Dees still the 2 to beat imo. I also think Carlton surely get their act together finally and will threaten. Crows will be the surprise, Freo drop down, Port will replace them. And I know they made a GF but too many writing off the Swans. Bloody good list who made the GF a year or two early. They could finish anywhere between 1st and 12th. But if I was to pick 4 locks with a gun to my head

Cats
Dees
Lions
Blues

Swans
Tigers
Port
Crows

Pies like the Swans could finish anywhere. I have to see them.back up last season before I'm convinced. And Freo will dip after losing some serious talent. As will GWS. Hawks surely win the spoon.

Yeah Lions and Dogs backlines still suck. WBD expecting an 80yr old Liam Jones will do the trick. Hunter and Dunkley are huge losses imo. I do agree though that the Lions finally HAVE to get to the big dance with the moves they made. Pace is still a concern as is a pretty ordinary back 6.

Cats and Dees still the 2 to beat imo. I also think Carlton surely get their act together finally and will threaten. Crows will be the surprise, Freo drop down, Port will replace them. And I know they made a GF but too many writing off the Swans. Bloody good list who made the GF a year or two early. They could finish anywhere between 1st and 12th. But if I was to pick 4 locks with a gun to my head

Cats
Dees
Lions
Blues

Swans
Tigers
Port
Crows

Pies like the Swans could finish anywhere. I have to see them.back up last season before I'm convinced. And Freo will dip after losing some serious talent. As will GWS. Hawks surely win the spoon.

Dunkley is a huge loss. Hunter less so. He sat out almost a full season over 2 years due to off field stuff and wasn't playing well last year. He'll be a good pick up for you guys but won't be too much of a loss for us given his trajectory at the Dogs.

On the flipside of losing players from the midfield where we can afford to lose them we've gained a 2nd ruck/forward and a key back. Bont is fit, Keath is fit. I think we'll be better than last year personally.

Dunkley is a huge loss. Hunter less so. He sat out almost a full season over 2 years due to off field stuff and wasn't playing well last year. He'll be a good pick up for you guys but won't be too much of a loss for us given his trajectory at the Dogs.

On the flipside of losing players from the midfield where we can afford to lose them we've gained a 2nd ruck/forward and a key back. Bont is fit, Keath is fit. I think we'll be better than last year personally.
Getting Treloar up into the AA squad is key i reckon. Still not convinced on your back 6 and Darcy/Jamara is still very raw and unproven. One of them explodes and you can probably have the luxury of moving Naughton back which IMO is where he should be playing while that's your weakest area on the ground. Dogs are around the mark and in the mix to finish anywhere from Top 4 to 12th. Tough year to predict tbh So many teams have a potential finals list.

Getting Treloar up into the AA squad is key i reckon. Still not convinced on your back 6 and Darcy/Jamara is still very raw and unproven. One of them explodes and you can probably have the luxury of moving Naughton back which IMO is where he should be playing while that's your weakest area on the ground. Dogs are around the mark and in the mix to finish anywhere from Top 4 to 12th. Tough year to predict tbh So many teams have a potential finals list.

I think we're pretty well set up this year, most of the list is healthy. Can play the structure that suits us (2 KPF and a 2nd ruck) and a fit Bont/Keath makes us a whole lot better than last year IMO. Jones has been our best defender so far this pre season. We kind of limped into the season last year and never really got going.

Think we'll probably surprise a few posters and make the 8 pretty comfortably despite the perceived worst draw this year.

Well Sam De Koning did make abit of a difference. 🙄
So Geelong had someone already on their list? Maybe Brisbane already have someone on their list 🤔

Did Geelong address their backline after it wasn’t quite up to the task to go all the way in 2021?
SDK helped coming from a 1-game prospect to almost an AA level player. Stengle at the other end too being an AA.

My guess is cats, Dees, Pies and maybe Tigers and Lions. Freo and Swans up there pressing along with the Blues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d drop the tigers down into the second group.

Will come down to how many games Tom Lynch can play..their forward line is built around him…a forward line of Lynch, Riewoldt, Dusty, Bolton, Cumberland and Rioli is arguably the best in the comp.

Taranto and hopper are huge ins for their midfield and will take the pressure off prestia.

Leppitsch back as defensive coach will be huge as well.

Tigers had an average season last year and only missed a prelim after choking against the lions. They will be much better in 2023

SDK helped coming from a 1-game prospect to almost an AA level player. Stengle at the other end too being an AA.

My guess is cats, Dees, Pies and maybe Tigers and Lions. Freo and Swans up there pressing along with the Blues.
So Geelong had a young step into the team. Why are we ruling out Brisbane having a young guy step in?

PREMIERSHIP CONTENDERS: Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong, Melbourne, Sydney

FINALS CONTENDERS BUT UNLIKELY TO WIN FLAG: Carlton, Fremantle, Richmond, Western Bulldogs

MID-LADDER: Adelaide, Gold Coast, Port Adelaide

LOWER LADDER, WOODEN SPOON CONTENDERS: Essendon, GWS, Hawthorn, North Melbourne, St Kilda, West Coast

I don’t trust Brisbane’s defending across the ground. And I think McStay was their most reliable defensive tall, so I’m not sure Gunston is an upgrade. I don’t think Dunkley’s a strong defensive mid. I really don’t trust their key defenders and that’s before Adams was done for the year.

Richmond, the midfielders will really help, but at some stage Riewoldt gets too old, Lynch has dodgy hammies and the lack of defensive forwards stands out to me. Not sure Rioli can do it alone. Combined with ageing defenders I think Richmond are just on the losing side of Father Time this year. Not to say Taranto and Hopper aren’t great picks ups and that Richmond can’t do a Geelong but I think those guys will pay off in a couple of years once the young wave of talent comes around them.

2 sides that should be top 6 or so, Brisbane even higher. But I’m not convinced by them.

Carlton have a lower floor but a higher ceiling if they really get rolling.
Thanks for the feedback(Reasoning).
While i agree in part that our fwd line will be pretty reliant on Lynch staying on the park,I still think we have enough weapons too worry sides.Taranto will do the Lambert role(High HF too mid) and Hopp to release pressure on Prestia.Backline we have pretty good coverage with Balta & Gibcus helping the old farts in Grimes & Tarrant.
On Brissy the only ? mark i see is can they win in Melbourne(Yes i know they beat the dees last year in the final but we all know why).
Think they have recruited really well.

I think it will end up being a Geelong vs Fremantle Grand Final.

If Fremantle can keep their key position players healthy they might win the 2023 Premiership. They just never seem to have a settled lineup.

History suggests that when a team losses a Grand Final by a big margin they rarely recover. I don’t think Sydney will be that much of a threat this year.

Adelaide beat Fremantle, so it will obviously then be a Geelong-Adelaide Grand Final :thumbsu:

Can win the flag:

Cats
Lions
Demons
Tigers

Media and supporters that think they can but would need a miracle:

Swans
Pies
Blues
Dockers
Dogs
Port

Start preparing for 2024:

Eagles
Suns
Bombers
Crows
Gws
Saints
North Melbourne
Hawks
The difference being.
Cats,free kicks galore
Lions,free kicks galore
Dees,free kicks galore
Tigers,swallowed whistles galore.

Can win the flag:

Cats
Lions
Demons
Tigers

Media and supporters that think they can but would need a miracle:

Swans
Pies
Blues
Dockers
Dogs
Port

Start preparing for 2024:

Eagles
Suns
Bombers
Crows
Gws
Saints
North Melbourne
Hawks
Why do you have Richmond as can and Carlton and Collingwood as miracle. I’d actually have them swapped around, the hysteria around Richmond drafting Taranto and Hopper cracks me up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back