Finals or Bust For Lions?

Remove this Banner Ad

dymot

Premiership Player
Dec 4, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Based on the NAB cup this should be the expectation as they had strong performances. Anything less in my opinion is a failure.

What are your thoughts?

I think you'd have to wait until the end of the season before stating what is a 'pass' mark for a side; a lot can happen over the season (injuries, scandal). The Lions should definitely improve on last year and move a couple of spots up the ladder, but there is a bit of a log jam for places in the 8 at the moment, so it's not too unlikely that Brisbane miss out by a game or two.

Ridiculous comment.

Or a troll with a veiled swipe at Voss...(nearly) everyone knows to take Pre-season form with a grain of salt...it might mean something or it may not.

What was known before the Pre-season is that the Lions have a lot of very talented young players and should improve over the next year or two and there is a lot of strong opposition right now.

I think you'd have to wait until the end of the season before stating what is a 'pass' mark for a side; a lot can happen over the season (injuries, scandal). The Lions should definitely improve on last year and move a couple of spots up the ladder, but there is a bit of a log jam for places in the 8 at the moment, so it's not too unlikely that Brisbane miss out by a game or two.
Yep, pretty much that. We won 12 games last year yet still finished 2 wins short of 8th spot and it could be more of the same this year, with probably one more team (Brisbane) than last year in strong finals contention and going hammer and tongs for a finals berth. The competition for a finals spot has probably never been stronger amongst so many teams.

Brisbane do have a mighty favourable draw though, playing last year's bottom 5 teams a combined total of 8 times (as they did last year, winning all 8- they only won two other games for the year) and only playing one of the teams that made the finals last year twice (North, who finished 8th).

Their start to the year is also very, very cushy, which will give them the opportunity to build some confidence and momentum, before a tough middle stretch, followed by more very winnable games at the end of the season.

That draw suggests that the AFL were very keen to get one of the Queensland teams in or very close to the finals this year and I think they will be successful (with them at least getting close).

*Reads OP's thread title*

4149538584_d9cf1fbeb3.jpg

Yes, definitely. The annual Brisvegas pre season hype has begun.
Am I in the right thread?

Think you will find the majority of balanced Brisbane posters will agree with the boards assessment of what Voss needs to do to keep his job. That is, increased competitiveness against top sides (read: less blowouts), greater adherence to the game plan and structures and ideally improving on our 10 wins from last season barring significant injury. Whether this means finals or not is irrelevant as the difference between scraping into 8th or just missing would be negligible.

More to this season than the W-L column though.

If Brissie win 11-12 games and miss the 8, then Voss should be safe. Realistically any season when you improve your win/loss ratio from the previous has to be considered a success, surely?

If Brissie win 11-12 games and miss the 8, then Voss should be safe. Realistically any season when you improve your win/loss ratio from the previous has to be considered a success, surely?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...ach-michael-voss/story-e6freck3-1226596756057

"I'm realistic enough to know that if we aren't improving and not getting around that number (10 wins), it will be hard for me to argue," Voss said. "Wins and losses are what we are measured by.

Voss himself seems to think so .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss is in trouble if they dont make finals. His job would have to be on the line this season.
So if we win 11-12 games and don't make finals (Say 9th-10th) he is sacked, even though we improved?

Based on the NAB cup this should be the expectation as they had strong performances. Anything less in my opinion is a failure.

What are your thoughts?

Depends on a few things, injurys for one, if Brown has a good year and they don't make it i'd consider it a fail (depending on other injurys).

So if we win 11-12 games and don't make finals (Say 9th-10th) he is sacked, even though we improved?
A bit will depend on the type of loses you have as well, if you push some top 4 teams and have minimal blowout loses and improve on last year he should be ok.

If they could win 10-12 games and get their percentage up to or above 100% that would be seen as a success in my eyes. Need to cut down on the beltings. A season like the Saints or Tigers had last year where there were no/few big losses would be seen as a success, even if they don't make the finals.

What are your thoughts?

Disagree. I think you are overstating the relevance of preseason victories TBH.
Teams like Sydney and Hawthorn are 4 weeks behind the non finalists last year, Adelaide and Collin gwood 3 etc.

Thats less weeks to book surgeries, weeks further behind at this early stage of the season and so on.

Given that most pundits expect Sydney\West Coast\Fremantle\Adelaide\Collingwood\Hawthorn\Geelong\Carlton to make the finals that leaves exactly zero spots for teams such as Brisbane\St Kilda\North\Richmond to fight over 9th spot.

Add a number of younger players into the mix and they will get off to a bolter and flater after 1/2 to 2/3's of the season.

So for mine, Brisbane's pre season success, PLUS an improved showing gearing them for finals in 2014 is a success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back