First 22 in 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Lot different considering you can play Rayner as a tall or add Lohmann to make it a smaller, speedy lineup. Could also put Fort in forward line or Oscar, there are many different ways to mix n match there.

Won't be the same in defense if Adams and Gardiner go missing - send Lester in and hope for the best, that's all we have at the moment. Or go for break the glass type approach and (surprise!) play Fullarton in defense.

Payne and Lester. Easy

Adams is susceptible to big blocks of injury period.
On Adams, I am actually quite surprised at how many he has missed out of the 92 games the Lions played since he, Mccarthy, Lachie and Lyons all came to the club at the same time. In games played between the 4, Mccarhy (90), Lyons (89) and Lach (85) compared to Adams (46). Even Answerth that was brought to the club at the same time and missing a whole year has played more (51).

Goes to show why we wouldn't have wanted Payne to leave given the durability of Adams and lesser extent, Gardiner (as an aside, Darcy has played 72 games across the same period / Harris has played 84 and Jack 27 and LEster 44). Looking at the numbers even surprised me how much footy Marcus has missed. Unlucky bugger.

Regarding Adams, he has not missed that many games over the last 2 years playing 17 in 2021 and 18 with concussion the culprit this year
Prior to that yes he had issues, playing only 10 the first year then only 1 in 2020

I hope he has fully recovered from his concussion issue but unfortunatly he won't really know till many years later

Strange to me that it hasn’t been done before now.

Once he's done with the surgery, it sounds like he'll be into rehab pretty soon after with running in early December around when pre-season starts. Probably needed some time off to relax and spend with family before he jumped back into it.

Hoping Lyons gets back close to his best because it would give us some great midfield depth.

Strange to me that it hasn’t been done before now.
Should have been booked in the second he failed to make the distance from 30m in that VFL final.
Yup, that was my first reaction.

But, I have no idea how such an injury and surgery works, in terms of recovery.

It sounds like he will be in rehab when preseason starts, and in my mind, that puts him behind the 8 ball to start with.

Robertson, I hope you are fighting for that spot tooth and nail.

Once he's done with the surgery, it sounds like he'll be into rehab pretty soon after with running in early December around when pre-season starts. Probably needed some time off to relax and spend with family before he jumped back into it.

Hoping Lyons gets back close to his best because it would give us some great midfield depth.
I get that but he’s a professional athlete and fighting for his career next year. Can’t believe he hasn’t had the surgery yet. That’s almost 6 weeks rehab down the drain.

I get that but he’s a professional athlete and fighting for his career next year. Can’t believe he hasn’t had the surgery yet. That’s almost 6 weeks rehab down the drain.
He’ll be fighting for his career at the end of 2024 when his contract ends

Should have been booked in the second he failed to make the distance from 30m in that VFL final.
It was decided to see how it feels after complete rest before surgery. Obviously the rest hasn't helped much so now the timing is right for surgery and hopefully a quick and full recovery. Any operation such as this has it's risks so they wanted to be 100% sure that a good period of rest might have been the better option first.
I hope he recovers totally and gets back to his best and plays a part in our 2023 season. I still believe a fit JL is a huge asset to the team.

Mighty Lions just made a post regarding Jarrod but i will still post this one

I think a lot of players usually get surgery after their post season leave.
I imaging like everything their are exceptions. Like surgery that's needed urgently

Below from the existing players agreement which ended this year. Can't see any new one
It's a 117 page agreement so i did not read it all. Just went to the leave bits
The Leave bits are on pages 74-78 for anyone interested
Dates below don't quite gell but possibly after Lyons had his six weeks leave his earliest surgery date was this week
Maybe if he had surgery after his last game he then goes on injury leave (rehab). Then he still has to get a minimum of 6 weeks leave
I could have it wrong but this is most likely the reason

file:///C:/Users/User/Downloads/AFL_CBA_2017-2022%20(1)%20(4).pdf
Or via (number 2)

9.1 Post Season Leave
(a) A Player shall be entitled to Leave between his Club’s Season Conclusion Date and its Recommencement Date (Post Season Leave).
(b) A Club’s Season Conclusion Date shall be the Tuesday after the Club’s final match of the AFL Season, except that:

9.1 c (ii) the Recommencement Date for Clubs that participated in weeks 2-4 of the Finals Series shall not be prior to 1 December;

9.1 c (iv) each Player shall receive a minimum of six weeks Leave prior to the Recommencement Date.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indicative of how older players may be managed more successfully perhaps. Overall health and mental health also important for recovery so a routine break is plausible. Readiness for rd 1 only 1 consideration

Indicative of how older players may be managed more successfully perhaps. Overall health and mental health also important for recovery so a routine break is plausible. Readiness for rd 1 only 1 consideration
In JL's case where he is near the end of his career and every game from here is a bonus, I dont believe a full 6 weeks off is on the forefront of his mind. If surgery was a no brainer at the end of the season (which it wasn't) he would have been on the operating table without hesitation.

It was decided to see how it feels after complete rest before surgery. Obviously the rest hasn't helped much so now the timing is right for surgery and hopefully a quick and full recovery. Any operation such as this has it's risks so they wanted to be 100% sure that a good period of rest might have been the better option first.
I hope he recovers totally and gets back to his best and plays a part in our 2023 season. I still believe a fit JL is a huge asset to the team.
He’ll be a great mentor for the VFL lads.

I don't work in orthopedics anymore but what I remember is that for hip adductor strains operative procedure havent been shown to consistently yeild better results than non-operative rest and protected weight baring measures. I dont know what Lyons actual injury is or if there is better data supporting operative measures in sports people but it doesn't sound that exotic for his surgeon to suggest a period of rest as opposed to an immediate operation for Jsrryds hip.

I don't work in orthopedics anymore but what I remember is that for hip adductor strains operative procedure havent been shown to consistently yeild better results than non-operative rest and protected weight baring measures. I dont know what Lyons actual injury is or if there is better data supporting operative measures in sports people but it doesn't sound that exotic for his surgeon to suggest a period of rest as opposed to an immediate operation for Jsrryds hip.
Osteopubis. I think, someone mentioned something about “releasing” a tendon or something.

The definitive list

Full back
Darcy Gardiner​
Harris Andrews (vc)​
Brandon Starcevich​
Half back
Keidean Coleman​
Marcus Adams​
Daniel Rich​
Centre
Jarrod Berry​
Josh Dunkley​
Zac Bailey​
Followers
Oscar McInerney​
Lachie Neale (c)​
Hugh McCluggage​
Half forward
Eric Hipwood​
Joe Daniher​
Lincoln McCarthy​
Full forward
Charlie Cameron​
Jack Gunston​
Cameron Rayner​
Int: Noah Answerth
Jarrod Lyons​
Will Ashcroft
Dayne Zorko​
Medical sub: Deven Robertson

Some notes:
  • Dev replaces Lyons in the side by season's end.
  • Darcy Fort is brought to have one more tall, even though I like it better when we play smaller.
  • Hipwood and Daniher play much further up the ground, with Daniher spending time in the ruck.
  • Rayner and Bailey could spend more time in the middle, or settle in as half-forwards for the majority of the season.
  • Payne, Prior, Lester, Ah Chee, Wilmot, Lohmann, Matheison could all be brought in.
It looks like McKenna replaces Noah Answerth in the best 22 now. McKenna either plays half back flank or wing I reckon . I don’t know a lot about him but as he has nominated the Lions I reckon he has been promised a position in our best 22 which is his to lose. The lions 🦁 have a history of recruiting ready made players that play in the 1sts.

A fit and firing JL is only a good thing for our midfield. Competition will create higher level of performances throughout the midfield and to me, that will be one of the best things that can happen.

A fit and firing JL is only a good thing for our midfield. Competition will create higher level of performances throughout the midfield and to me, that will be one of the best things that can happen.
if either jl can get back to his pre 2022 form or robertson reaches that level himself to cement his spot we will be a much better team for it - we cant lose if jl is fit and firing

tunstill is probably a couple years off being a full time afl level contributor but i suspect he will also be placing pressure for spots this year

if either jl can get back to his pre 2022 form or robertson reaches that level himself to cement his spot we will be a much better team for it - we cant lose if jl is fit and firing

tunstill is probably a couple years off being a full time afl level contributor but i suspect he will also be placing pressure for spots this year

Or we continue to play JL while he’s underperforming and Dev requests a trade where he then goes to the next level and after 5 years of falling short we drop back to mid table as our squad ages

Or we continue to play JL while he’s underperforming and Dev requests a trade where he then goes to the next level and after 5 years of falling short we drop back to mid table as our squad ages

Glass half empty much??!!

Depends if picking players based on current performance becomes the norm rather than a thing-we-did-in-finals once...

Can't see Dev going anywhere. He will have a huge preseason, maybe put some beef on and hold his spot in front of Lyons all season. Breakout year for Dev, he and the club will recognise the future and lock him in. An injury free run, with good form and he will re-sign at the bye. No doubt.

Just the difference he made to the pace and run of our game in our final few games was noticeable. Neale, Dunkley, McCluggage, Berry, Dev and Ashcroft is pretty solid going fwd. Bailey, Rayner chipping in. Tunstill could even jump Lyons with a big preseason and great early form. Lyons, Matho could be well down the pecking order by the end of 23.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back