Opinion First Captain under Walsh?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Dangerfield gets the captancy, i think it's a strong indicator they (Glass and Welsh) believe he is staying.

I wonder if Glass will be looking at the same sort of behaviours Dangerfield is portraying and then making a comparison to those that Judd was demonstrating.

Judd told them he was going to leave when they offered him the captaincy, they gave it to him anyway.

Interesting as I was thinking of starting a thread on this.

Personally I have talia #1 due to lack of kpp defenders with rutten's retirement.

1. Talia
2. Jacobs
3. Dangerfield
4. Walker
Nice list - no doubt our 4 most important structurally. My only change might be sneaking Tex to #3 and Patty #4.

All subjective though, those 4 really are critical

Nice joke. A player like Talia is great, but Dangerfield is the type of player any team could build around. He is our golden ticket to win a flag, without him our club will be setback a long way.

Why don't we have a flag with our Golden Ticket?

ATM:

1. Talia
2. Tex
3. Dangerfield
4. Jacobs

Rucks are overrated IMO (still nice to have a good one that provides a bit around the ground). Talia is indispensable given the lack of depth/experience in his position. Tex is almost as important but forward depth (albeit limited) just tips him into second place. No midfielder is as important as primary KPP imo, but after Tex and Talia, Dangerfield as a Brownlow medalist in waiting will be pivotal to our engine room in coming years. He is coming into that 25-30 period when he will mature into an absolute beast.

ATM:

1. Talia
2. Tex
3. Dangerfield
4. Jacobs

Rucks are overrated IMO (still nice to have a good one that provides a bit around the ground). Talia is indispensable given the lack of depth/experience in his position. Tex is almost as important but forward depth (albeit limited) just tips him into second place. No midfielder is as important as primary KPP imo, but after Tex and Talia, Dangerfield as a Brownlow medalist in waiting will be pivotal to our engine room in coming years. He is coming into that 25-30 period when he will mature into an absolute beast.
So we are better with the lowden-Tex-jj combo than the sauce-pods-jj combo? Not so sure, but not much in it as both crucial.

Agree we cover the mids easier as have depth.

Was thinking who would be after the top-4, as not so straight forward. I would put Smith, Sloane, b crouch, Betts in the next group.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was going to respond at length but remembered you don't understand football.
We would be a hell of alot closer to a premiership with Dangerfield than without him. He is a once in a decade midfielder. If we lose him we can forget about any premierships in the next 5 years.

Must be the next captain of the AFC. He is the sort of player who can single handly carry a team to a win, much like Tex.

just because your a gun "one of a kind player" does not mean you are captain quality

IMO a captain could be anyone in the best 22 that lifts and motivates every player around him, someone each player on and off the field looks up to and is inspired by. From my understanding dangerfield is an odd cat off field as good as he is as a player.

We would be a hell of alot closer to a premiership with Dangerfield than without him. He is a once in a decade midfielder. If we lose him we can forget about any premierships in the next 5 years.

Must be the next captain of the AFC. He is the sort of player who can single handly carry a team to a win, much like Tex.
What about GAJ? Selwood, Judd, Cousins, Voss, Ricciuto, Buckley all are/were far better than him, while he's good, i do feel we overrate him somewhat. Having said that Id much rather he's playing for us than against us.

Don't disagree with any of that apart from the captaincy.

I just think structural importance is slightly different.

just because your a gun "one of a kind player" does not mean you are captain quality

IMO a captain could be anyone in the best 22 that lifts and motivates every player around him, someone each player on and off the field looks up to and is inspired by. From my understanding dangerfield is an odd cat off field as good as he is as a player.
Like how TEX created a presence and lifted the intensity in the Collingwood game in round 9

Danger is explosive and can turn the game around but he is not consistent. He goes missing a lot and can also make some poor decisions under pressure. (yes we can all do that). But these are traits only of the elite and I don't believe that Danger is at the level just yet. Having said that I do believe that he will reach those dizzy heights and I hope he does it with the AFC.

When I consider who is the most valuable I look at who we would miss most if we lost him. Talia is in a league of his own. Our defence would be heavily impacted if he went. The loss of Danger on the other hand could be covered with our other mids. Yes the other mids play a different role but we have depth in our midfield. So to me Talia is more important especially now with Rutten retiring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back