Fixture Fixture 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL fixture latest: Adams, Grundy, Swans slated to face Pies on night of flag unveiling​

Taylor Adams and Brodie Grundy missed the Pies’ premiership for different reasons, but both look set to be front and centre when the premiers unfurl the flag in 2024.
Jay Clark

@ClarkyHeraldSun

2 min read
November 2, 2023 - 4:36PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

New Swans Taylor Adams and Brodie Grundy could be drawn to take on their former Collingwood teammates when the Magpies unfurl their premiership flag in round 1.

The latest version of the AFL’s 2024 fixture has Collingwood slated to host the Swans at the MCG in the second week of the new season, reuniting Adams against his former side for the first time since his shock trade last month.

It will be the second game of the new season for both sides who are set to feature in the league’s ‘Round Zero’ opening weekend most likely on March 8-9 in the northern states.

As this masthead revealed on Wednesday, the league wants to follow the four-game opening weekend in Queensland and Sydney with a full nine-game round 1 including three MCG blockbusters.
The Magpies want a big home game in round 1 to unfurl their premiership flag and celebrate their swelling fan base at a packed-out MCG, most likely on Friday night, March 15.

It promises to be an emotional meeting for former Collingwood vice-captain Adams who missed the grand final win over Brisbane Lions this year with a heartbreaking hamstring injury.

Adams, 30, was understandably in tears after the premiership win after failing a fitness test days out from the grand final.

He will be highly motivated to perform against his old side in the second week of the new season after being poached by the Swans on a three-year deal to lead the bolstered engine room in 2024.

The Swans requested more prime-time MCG games as part of their 2024 fixture after only five regular season games at the home of football over the past two years.

The Magpies are set to play in ‘Round Zero’ against GWS Giants (GS), Sydney Swans (MCG) in round 1, St Kilda (MCG) round 2, Brisbane (Gabba) round 3, Gather Round in South Australia in Round 4 before a bye.

The Swans secured Grundy and Adams to help beef-up their contested ball work and return to the finals after sliding out of the eight on the back of a 2022 grand final loss to the Cats.

Grundy is set to face his former Melbourne teammates in ‘Round Zero’ at the SCG as part of the four-game northern-states extravaganza.

Gold Coast will host Richmond, Brisbane will host Carlton, and the Giants will take on Collingwood as well as the Swans-Demons clash on the opening weekend to help grow the game up north.

GWS Giants are pencilled in to host North Melbourne in round 1, Brisbane Lions will head west to play one of the Perth teams, and Richmond take on Carlton as well in the traditional blockbuster Thursday night game in the second week of the season across March 14-17.

‘Round Zero’ is currently pencilled in for March 8-10, but the AFL is set to finalise the official name and details of the opening weekend by early next week.

The league will continue to thrash out details of the rest of the 2024 fixture next week before releasing it to the public on November 16.

The AFL has reserved the right to make changes to the draft version of the fixture before its official release in a fortnight.

AFL fixture latest: Adams, Grundy, Swans slated to face Pies on night of flag unveiling​

Taylor Adams and Brodie Grundy missed the Pies’ premiership for different reasons, but both look set to be front and centre when the premiers unfurl the flag in 2024.
Jay Clark

@ClarkyHeraldSun

2 min read
November 2, 2023 - 4:36PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

New Swans Taylor Adams and Brodie Grundy could be drawn to take on their former Collingwood teammates when the Magpies unfurl their premiership flag in round 1.

The latest version of the AFL’s 2024 fixture has Collingwood slated to host the Swans at the MCG in the second week of the new season, reuniting Adams against his former side for the first time since his shock trade last month.

It will be the second game of the new season for both sides who are set to feature in the league’s ‘Round Zero’ opening weekend most likely on March 8-9 in the northern states.

As this masthead revealed on Wednesday, the league wants to follow the four-game opening weekend in Queensland and Sydney with a full nine-game round 1 including three MCG blockbusters.
The Magpies want a big home game in round 1 to unfurl their premiership flag and celebrate their swelling fan base at a packed-out MCG, most likely on Friday night, March 15.

It promises to be an emotional meeting for former Collingwood vice-captain Adams who missed the grand final win over Brisbane Lions this year with a heartbreaking hamstring injury.

Adams, 30, was understandably in tears after the premiership win after failing a fitness test days out from the grand final.

He will be highly motivated to perform against his old side in the second week of the new season after being poached by the Swans on a three-year deal to lead the bolstered engine room in 2024.

The Swans requested more prime-time MCG games as part of their 2024 fixture after only five regular season games at the home of football over the past two years.

The Magpies are set to play in ‘Round Zero’ against GWS Giants (GS), Sydney Swans (MCG) in round 1, St Kilda (MCG) round 2, Brisbane (Gabba) round 3, Gather Round in South Australia in Round 4 before a bye.

The Swans secured Grundy and Adams to help beef-up their contested ball work and return to the finals after sliding out of the eight on the back of a 2022 grand final loss to the Cats.

Grundy is set to face his former Melbourne teammates in ‘Round Zero’ at the SCG as part of the four-game northern-states extravaganza.

Gold Coast will host Richmond, Brisbane will host Carlton, and the Giants will take on Collingwood as well as the Swans-Demons clash on the opening weekend to help grow the game up north.

GWS Giants are pencilled in to host North Melbourne in round 1, Brisbane Lions will head west to play one of the Perth teams, and Richmond take on Carlton as well in the traditional blockbuster Thursday night game in the second week of the season across March 14-17.

‘Round Zero’ is currently pencilled in for March 8-10, but the AFL is set to finalise the official name and details of the opening weekend by early next week.

The league will continue to thrash out details of the rest of the 2024 fixture next week before releasing it to the public on November 16.

The AFL has reserved the right to make changes to the draft version of the fixture before its official release in a fortnight.
If GWS get a home game in zero round surely the round 1 game should be our home game. Bloody AFL!

Surely there would be more supporters at a North vs Essondon game at Marvel for round 1 than GWS and North up there...Once again the AFL looking at giving the popular teams a head start to the season but placing the against a bottom club..:mad:

So effectively a gather round in the northern states of sorts? The ladder going to be a mess for awhile?

The olympics are on next year, is this to really stretch the byes out mid year??

Does anyone know if the floating fixture junk for later in the season is being persevered with? It makes it so hard for people who plan their life (birthdays etc) around footy fixture. Noting that people like that arent the ones the AFL wants attending.

Pies: We want round 1 home game to unveil our flag!
Tigs: We want to keep season opener round 1 against carlton
Every interstate club: We want to travel Round 1 to lessen the impact

AFL: Yep no worries, we'll keep all round 1 promises.

....soo we'll be introducing Round 0 next year. It's not round 1 I promise.

This is another example of the AFL compromising the competition. The eight teams who play the zero round will also playing on an even keel. The teams who then play these teams in round 1 will be disadvantaged.
Why can't all of round 1 be played on the same weekend?
This trying to take advantage of no NRL being played in these states is just petty. As a National competition surely we have moved on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2024 can't come quick enough. I have grave fears for us defensively. I just CANNOT see how our backline will hold up. I doubt I will watch a game sober in 2024. I'll be heading to The Sporting Globe at Northland before most games to hit The Fruit Tingles on tap if anyone's keen for a catchup. Be good to put some faeces to the names.

2024 can't come quick enough. I have grave fears for us defensively. I just CANNOT see how our backline will hold up. I doubt I will watch a game sober in 2024. I'll be heading to The Sporting Globe at Northland before most games to hit The Fruit Tingles on tap if anyone's keen for a catchup. Be good to put some faeces to the names.
I feel weirdly optimistic about the backline. It might be misplaced but I'm not optimistic all that often. I think Pink, Corr, Comben and Dawson will be able to work it out between them until Logue gets back and we hold up down there better than we expect. Which is a massive u turn from my previous rants about losing McKay.

This of course hinges on better pressure up the ground, a category where we ******* suck balls. Basically everyone except for Scott, Sheezel and Jy could visibly improve on their defensive running and/or endurance. (Maybe I'll add Fisher and Stephens to that coveted group).

I'm more worried about our second key forward position. The only thing that CCJ is good for is outlet marks. Which he did very well at times last year. It's just not enough for a modern key forward though.

heck it, we ball, I guess

This is another example of the AFL compromising the competition. The eight teams who play the zero round will also playing on an even keel. The teams who then play these teams in round 1 will be disadvantaged.
Why can't all of round 1 be played on the same weekend?
This trying to take advantage of no NRL being played in these states is just petty. As a National competition surely we have moved on.
This is a comp that released last year's fixture at 6am on a Sunday as the Socceroos were kicking off.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I feel weirdly optimistic about the backline. It might be misplaced but I'm not optimistic all that often. I think Pink, Corr, Comben and Dawson will be able to work it out between them until Logue gets back and we hold up down there better than we expect. Which is a massive u turn from my previous rants about losing McKay.

This of course hinges on better pressure up the ground, a category where we ******* suck balls. Basically everyone except for Scott, Sheezel and Jy could visibly improve on their defensive running and/or endurance. (Maybe I'll add Fisher and Stephens to that coveted group).

I'm more worried about our second key forward position. The only thing that CCJ is good for is outlet marks. Which he did very well at times last year. It's just not enough for a modern key forward though.

* it, we ball, I guess
Pink, Corr, Comben & Dawson....... Yeah, I forgot we had the Fab Four of Key Defenders.

Pink, Corr, Comben & Dawson....... Yeah, I forgot we had the Fab Four of Key Defenders.
Arthur good to have you back

Someone has been impersonating you this winter asking sensible questions and using perfect grammar

Surely there would be more supporters at a North vs Essondon game at Marvel for round 1 than GWS and North up there...Once again the AFL looking at giving the popular teams a head start to the season but placing the against a bottom club..:mad:
Found out that Marvel will not be up for playing football on it for the first round due to Pink concerts being held there...hence the reason why we will be playing away...so sad!

This is a comp that released last year's fixture at 6am on a Sunday as the Socceroos were kicking off.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's actually just embarrassing now.

They should just act like a professional organisation. I'm not interested in the fixture being released as if it's a Charles Dickens serial over the next 3 months, I'm not interested in all the media nonsense talking this way and that. Just have a date it is released and release the whole thing. This comp treats everything like a cheap ploy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back