VFL Footscray Bulldogs vs Casey Demons, Whitten Oval 2:05pm 23/07

Remove this Banner Ad

A game which reflected the two teams' positions on the ladder. Our forward entries were very poor all day, just bombs to packs whereas Casey created space for their forwards to kick easier goals.
Hunter was our best. Honourable mentions to Martin, McLean, Darcy and Cordy. The rest of our listed players struggled.

Full stats breakdown, players stats at bottom of the post (stats not final, I will update the post once CD completes their review)...

Disposal Efficiency

FO: 67%
CS: 66%

Kicking Efficiency
FO: 62%
CS: 63%

Hitouts / To Advantage
30 / 4 - Sweet
25 / 4 - Martin

Hitouts To Advantage

FO: 8
CS: 6

First Possessions
FO: 46
CS: 40

Clearances / Centre Clearances

FO: 41 / 8
CS: 36 / 9

Contested Marks
FO: 14
CS: 11

Marks Inside 50
FO: 8
CS: 10

Defensive 50 Marks
FO: 14
CS: 11

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks

FO: 2
CS: 5

Spoils
FO: 27
CS: 34

Score Launches
2 - Garner, Martin, R. Smith
1 - Craig-Peters, Darcy, Hunt, Hunter, O’Brien, Sullivan

Inside 50 Efficiency
FO: 33%
CS: 41%

Shots At Goal

FO: 15 (40%)
CS: 19 (47%)

Scoring Profile (Footscray / Casey)

Set Shot: 4.3 / 2.3
Snap: 3.4 / 2.2
On Run: 0.0 / 3.0
Mark Play On: 0.0 / 1.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 1.0 / 1.0
15M-30M: 2.2 / 3.1
31M-40M: 1.0 / 1.1
41M-50M: 2.4 / 3.4
51M+: 0.0 / 1.0

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 1.1 / 0.1
Scores In Time-On: 3.2 / 2.5

Smothers

FO: 5
CS: 7

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)

126 - Garner
121 - Martin
117 - McLean
114 - Sullivan
112 - Cordy
110 - Hunter
103 - O’Brien
97 - Macpherson
78 - R. Smith
78 - Darcy
68 - Drummond
66 - Butler
50 - Sweet
48 - Jones
48 - Gilbee
47 - Craig-Peters
46 - Hodge
44 - Raak
30 - Vandermeer
30 - Orgill
27 - Schache
20 - Bedendo
19 - Hunter

Free Kick Summary

FK.png

Score Sources

SS.png

Player Stats Table (Sorted by Ranking Points)

FT.png
kicks, kicking efficiency, handballs, disposals efficiency, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, contested marks, intercept marks, tackles, pressure acts, spoils, frees for, frees against, hitouts, hitouts to advantage, clearances, centre clearances, inside 50s, rebound 50s, shots, goals/behinds, score assists, score involvements, metres gained, fantasy points, ranking points

Can anyone give us a brief summary of some key players and their AFL prospects?
You could wait for the official player reports on the WB website but they are usually very positive for each player irrespective of their performance.
Here's a bit more information but it's just my personal observations.
Jones: He is a country mile off playing senior football. There's no doubt he has some very smart moves but for every one of these he does 2 things that just look so scrappy, including trying to do too much and fumbling in contests. I don't think anybody expected him to develop quickly and we will have to be very patient when, after another pre-season, he might be a bit more physically developed and acclimatised to the pace of the game.
Raak: Found the Casey players too slick for him in this game. His past couple of games however, were much more promising. Not sure what his role is going forward but the coaches are giving him opportunities in different positions. Certainly worth more time to develop but needs a big pre-season in the gym.
Vandermeer: Quiet for most of the game but showed glimpses of his speed and skill. Needs at least a couple more games in the VFL to find touch.
Smith: a solid Roarke Smith type of game. Worked hard but had limited impact on the game. I really think he has reached a plateau in his career but who knows, he is still contracted next year.
Schache: It was a difficult day for our forwards. The Casey backs were very well-drilled and made it difficult for our forwards to find any space at all. Unfortunately, we resorted to bombing the ball in hoping for something to happen rather than using any clear plan. He had a quiet day and I suspect we have seen the last of him for this season and perhaps forever.
Butler: He worked very hard as usual. Seemed to improve as the game progressed. Not quick enough for the wing IMO, maybe more suited to half back but we have a lot of the same type. I'm not sure if has the necessary skills and pace to take the next step. He's out of contract but I'd leave the call to the club as to whether he might be offered another.
Sweet: Seemed to be used more as a second ruck to Martin which I don't think is a good sign for him. He was strong in the ruck contests but Martin looked a class above for his around the ground play. He's safe for next year but I'd still be on the lookout for another option whether that be a more developed Darcy or an imported Rory Lobb.
O'Brien: a solid game from him in defence without being inspiring. Took 9 marks which is his forte. Like all our backs, found the Casey medium forwards and running mids difficult to match up on. Generally, he held his own and looked OK but I don't think we will see him again in the seniors this season unless Covid or injuries strike. As for next year, can he regain form to be a regular? Undecided.
Cordy: As per the past few weeks, he has been one of our better players. He's led the backline very well with strong attack on the ball and good kicking efficiency. If he stays with us (he's an UFA), he will probably remain a backup but a handy one I guess.
McLean: Not quite as damaging as in the past few games but you could probably put that down to a very strong Casey midfield. There is no doubt he's desperately trying to get back into the seniors with his strong attack on the ball and the man. Toby is another UFA but I think we'd be silly not to re-sign him. I've been pushing for him to be promoted for a few weeks now and he must be very very close.
Hunter: Probably our best player again. 28 disposals at reasonable efficiency. I get the impression the match committee has gone off him for the rest of this season but we will have to wait and see. Lachie probably warrants a whole discussion about his situation but at least he is working hard in the VFL which is a good sign.
Darcy: Used purely as a forward this week. Took 7 marks and many of them impressive. All our forwards found it tough going but I'm a firm believer that we should try him at senior level this year. With better delivery (well, sometimes) he could be very dangerous as a marking tall deep in the forward line allowing Naughts and JUH to roam wherever and whenever. You don't need me to tell you, the lad has talent to burn.
Martin: Probably the best big man on the ground. Shared ruck duties with Sweet and got around the ground surprisingly well considering his time out of the game. 21 Disposals, 5 marks and 25 hitouts signals a pretty good game. Can't comment further because I'm almost certain he's playing his last few games.

Last edited:
McLean: Not quite as damaging as in the past few games but you could probably put that down to a very strong Casey midfield. There is no doubt he's desperately trying to get back into the seniors with his strong attack on the ball and the man. Toby is another UFA but I think we'd be silly not to re-sign him. I've been pushing for him to be promoted for a few weeks now and he must be very very close.

McLean looks a bit slow to me and has been a bit scrappy with his disposal. I would imagine these are the things holding him back.

Absolutely should re-sign for another year, a pre season would do him a world of good.

Sweet: Seemed to be used more as a second ruck to Martin which I don't think is a good sign for him. He was strong in the ruck contests but Martin looked a class above for his around the ground play. He's safe for next year but I'd still be on the lookout for another option whether that be a more developed Darcy or an imported Rory Lobb.

Agree. Sweet is pretty good in ruck contests and is a decent competitor, but he isn't offering enough outside of that. He's a very solid back up option and has stayed pretty much injury free which has been important. Another mature aged option I think is necessary. Lobb is a good player, I just hope that doesn't limit our options for a key defender. Flynn might be another option.

McLean looks a bit slow to me and has been a bit scrappy with his disposal. I would imagine these are the things holding him back.

Absolutely should re-sign for another year, a pre season would do him a world of good.
Yes, I think you're correct re his disposal. He's never been an excellent kick but generally ok. Perhaps his desperation to win the ball is causing him to rush his disposals. I suppose we have to keep in mind that he's fighting to be offered a new contract/extension.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back