Footy Brawl - Ban Grog?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's no trouble at VAFA games because there's no crowds! The clubs don't generally engage with their local populations, which is why all the successful clubs are Old Boys networks which they get supporters from.

Local footy is fine - there's 500 odd clubs in Vic alone and very little trouble. If there's a problem then smash that club. Blanket alcohol ban? There's hundreds of violent incidents in pubs and clubs every weekend - let ban grog there too hey?

There's no trouble at VAFA games because there's no crowds! The clubs don't generally engage with their local populations, which is why all the successful clubs are Old Boys networks which they get supporters from.

Local footy is fine - there's 500 odd clubs in Vic alone and very little trouble. If there's a problem then smash that club. Blanket alcohol ban? There's hundreds of violent incidents in pubs and clubs every weekend - let ban grog there too hey?

Ask Fitzroy about crowds. For a district club, they pull them in no matter where they play..of course they are just a little bit different to the average club (and we all know why).

Fitzroy are an exception, of course.

and an example from the weekend...Hampton Rovers met Parkdale at Sandringham...2 district sides. Huge crowd and no problems. Even allowing for the fact the Sandringham Social Club was open. Same at Visy Park on Sunday when Williamstown CYMS met Therry Penola and the licensed cafe was open.

and an example from the weekend...Hampton Rovers met Parkdale at Sandringham...2 district sides. Huge crowd and no problems. Even allowing for the fact the Sandringham Social Club was open. Same at Visy Park on Sunday when Williamstown CYMS met Therry Penola and the licensed cafe was open.

Couldn't the same be said for over 95% of senior finals that were played on the weekend?

grug.jpg

What the frack did I do? Oh, carry on...
Ban Jeanne Pratt

There were dozens of games all over Victoria on the weekend, many with very big crowds.

Of course it could.

The only brawls that seem to happen at VAFA level are not alcohol related....

So what do we demand gets banned in those instances then?

I've played footy in multiple leagues, including the VAFA. I have nothing against its policy to not serve alcohol until 5pm (except that it means if my mates are looking for a game to watch on the weekend, they're probably going to go elsewhere...none of them are alcoholics, to the best of my knowledge; they are just fans of having a few beers at a local footy match). Whatever works for the league is fine by me.

But nor do I have any problem with leagues that do sell alcohol at their games. Presumably, most local leagues would go an entire season without having a serious incident with crowd members and players fighting like this and presumably, when these incidents do happen, the parties involved could have done a few things better to have minimised the risk, without resorting to blanket bans (one of which would be RSA). Therefore, I would suggest that any calls to ban alcohol at local footy are a hysterical overreaction.

So what do we demand gets banned in those instances then?

I've played footy in multiple leagues, including the VAFA. I have nothing against its policy to not serve alcohol until 5pm (except that it means if my mates are looking for a game to watch on the weekend, they're probably going to go elsewhere...none of them are alcoholics, to the best of my knowledge; they are just fans of having a few beers at a local footy match). Whatever works for the league is fine by me.

But nor do I have any problem with leagues that do sell alcohol at their games. Presumably, most local leagues would go an entire season without having a serious incident with crowd members and players fighting like this and presumably, when these incidents do happen, the parties involved could have done a few things better to have minimised the risk, without resorting to blanket bans (one of which would be RSA). Therefore, I would suggest that any calls to ban alcohol at local footy are a hysterical overreaction.
...and thats his extra dollop.

Spot on.

We used to get into all in brawls every second week. Whats the big deal? Everyone loved it. That's church league football...puts Fight Club to shame :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young men, an angry social group with plenty of small issues they construe as massive with girlfriends and money and mates causing dramas to boil beneath the skin, standing around with their mates, watching a sport where you feel plenty of intense emotions (and, most of the time, they turn out to be the negative and intense ones), having something that lowers inhibition and heightens emotions... of course s**t is going to go down sometimes.

Even the most decent, rational, normal blokes can end up getting emotional after a few beers. Of course some people are naturally aggressive and violent, and alcohol will exacerbate that, but I don't think you can say it only makes pricks bigger pricks. Some decent people get affected by it. You can't ban alcohol, it's not totally the answer and it will hurt the clubs financially and socially, you just have to accept that violence is a part of the human condition – just like laughing at the footy, a celebration at the footy, a cuddle after a great win at the footy...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back