Footy Brawl - Ban Grog?

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem isnt alcohol, its the idiots. Ive been drunk countless times and never been violent. Dickheads when drunk are likely dickheads when sober too.
But they aren't. These dickheads likely don't go around fighting in the middle of the day. There is also plenty of VAFA clubs with a high percentage of dickhead fans in the crowd but they have much less problems. Alcohol gets people inhibited and they end up doing these stupid things.

One of the CPL players was knocked out and taken to hospital, 4 other or so players king hit, I'm not sure of damage to the members of the crowd, we were locked in the rooms after the initial minute.

Reminded me of the reverse case of the Ron Artest incident. But with the MT supporters waiting at the door to the CPL rooms.
Feel for you mate. The police will be little to no use in this instance. The only thing that has long term affects regarding the trouble makers and removal of them from future games is the Club taking a hard line. That can be forced on the club by the league body if necessary.
I played in a league in WA many years ago that often involved fans and players punching on. I can remember a rolling maul of the entire team punching through the crowd to get to the team bus which then had every window smashed with rocks and the driver almost running over people to get us out. Cops were useless and all I could think of was the next time we had to play them. What sorted it was the league threatening license revocation of the team unless all those responsible were dealt with by the club and banned. The club of course tried to say that wouldn't be possible but the league held firm and low and behold no further problems from that camp (well, nothing we couldn't handle). Hurt the club and it's amazing how they manage to sort out their supporters.

Anyway, I'd say the lower the standard probably the lower the culture of the club and supporters and maybe the more risk of stupid behaviour.

So for Division 3 instead of opening the bar at the start of the day open it at the start of the seniors or even at half time of the seniors. I love a beer watching footy but I can wait until 3pm on a Saturday to have my first.

For Glen Waverley hit them in the hip pocket with a fine and also ban them from selling alcohol whilst their games are in progress maybe for 5 home games next year.

I like that in Melbourne there's the Ammo's with the non drinking rule and the other leagues where you can have a beer. Don't have to ruin that for everyone but have to send a strong message to clubs that this isn't ok.

But they aren't. These dickheads likely don't go around fighting in the middle of the day. There is also plenty of VAFA clubs with a high percentage of dickhead fans in the crowd but they have much less problems. Alcohol gets people inhibited and they end up doing these stupid things.
Blaming alcohol for the actions of individuals is like blaming the gun instead of the shooter. If so many people can drink and enjoy themselves, why cant these guys?

Alcohol lowers your inhibitions and common sense, but it doesnt make you violent and aggressive and a criminal unless you already have those tendencies and characteristics in you.

Alcohol ban?

You're just punishing everybody and depriving local clubs of one of their few sources of income.

If a club acts like this, kick them out of the league. It's been done before and can be done again. Supporters at local level are representatives of their club.

And the ammos gives everybody a choice if they prefer that atmosphere.

Same thing happen in Broome on the weekend the Police had to call for urgent back up because they had glass bottles thrown at them.

They had to send police from Port Headland down to help out because the Broome police had a big back log of other jobs

One of the CPL players was knocked out and taken to hospital, 4 other or so players king hit, I'm not sure of damage to the members of the crowd, we were locked in the rooms after the initial minute.

Reminded me of the reverse case of the Ron Artest incident. But with the MT supporters waiting at the door to the CPL rooms.
From what I have heard, this is complete and utter bullshit.

I have seen fights in the VAFA (where alcohol is banned) and fights in the NFL (My Local league) where its not. Dick heads are dick heads and sure alcohol only makes dickheads worse but i enjoy watching the game and having a beer so why punish all of us? Deal with them harshly but Local clubs need that source of income to survive.

*When i say fights they obviously do not compare to the level of what happened in the SFL by a long way

I am lead to believe that the Mount Waverley fans were seen to assault the Carrum playing coach.

The Carrum playing coach took out a Mt.Waverly player off the ball. Carrums coach has history of behaving in such a manner however there is no need for opposition supporters to become involved. Sort it out on the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what I have heard, this is complete and utter bullshit.

From what you heard? Give me a ******* break.

I've got a split ear and 2 bumps on the back of the head to prove it.

I'll wait until the outcome of the investigation is made public before I believe an anon on the interwebs, thanks Pykie.

Fine by me, I'll think you'll find my posts will be deleted by the site and the league soon enough anyway.

Why don't we wait until the investigation is over befre we cast too many aspersions, hey?

FWIW, ban bringing your own grog and don't open the bar until halftime.

BYO is banned.

It's perfectly reasonable to open the bar for the whole game.

There's hundreds and hundreds of footy games across Victoria every Saturday. There's no need for rules which impact the 99.5% of games which go off without a hitch.

It's generally a club issue, a cultural issue. Hold those clubs responsible - boot them.

The Carrum playing coach took out a Mt.Waverly player off the ball. Carrums coach has history of behaving in such a manner however there is no need for opposition supporters to become involved. Sort it out on the field.

That's the rub - onfield incidents always happen.

There's no justification for supporters or non playing officials involving themselves.

BYO is banned.

How strict are they on punters that they catch transgressing though? Need to be kicked out without a warning as these types are usually the most s**t-faced.

It's perfectly reasonable to open the bar for the whole game.

There's hundreds and hundreds of footy games across Victoria every Saturday. There's no need for rules which impact the 99.5% of games which go off without a hitch.

It's generally a club issue, a cultural issue. Hold those clubs responsible - boot them.
Should have clarified, only open the bar at half-time for GFs. Seems most of this nonsense kicks-off at the pointy end of the season, when tensions are high.

Wouldn't impact club coffers that much and those that want a drink can still have one or two at the game with plenty more to follow a GF, win or lose.

Blaming alcohol for the actions of individuals is like blaming the gun instead of the shooter. If so many people can drink and enjoy themselves, why cant these guys?

Alcohol lowers your inhibitions and common sense, but it doesnt make you violent and aggressive and a criminal unless you already have those tendencies and characteristics in you.

We're animals, every one of us has the potential to become violent and horrible people. Social inhibition plays a huge role in stopping it. Alcohol takes a lot of that away. I think it's surprising this stuff doesn't happen more often tbh.

Whichever way you look at it footy has a culture of chauvinism and bone-headed masculinity that is reflective of our country's general reluctance to move forward into a more enlightened age. Even the AFL, who dress themselves up as sensitive new age gimps, are still run by a boys-club who circle-jerk in the business world, piss in each other's pockets, and have little substance to the image they attempt to portray. I love the game but the culture is tainted by bogans. The one thing I always liked was how families could attend games mingled with opposition supporters with only the good-natured ribbing amongst fans to endure. But even that seems to be being eroded in recent times. Then you have amoebas like these suburban morons making it impossible for other spectators to be near.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back