Footy Myths

Remove this Banner Ad

20110412-190616_20110324121351_someone_is_wrong.jpg
Is that Derm? Both the picture and the quote?

its more bewilderment you think your clubs culture is somehow set apart from any other club. Actually beyond bewilderment just ridiculous. Sure Swans good club to play for but really so are 10 others. There's nothing special at Sydney
I made it quite clear I don't think we're "set apart from any other club".

I'm saying there are a handful of clubs in in the AFL with an especially-strong culture, which many other clubs wish to emulate. The Swans are definitely one. I mentioned several recent articles by reasonably-qualified experts like Alister Lynch, Garry Lyon, Michael Voss which might back what I was saying. I've yet to hear of any similarly-credentialled articles claiming we don't have one of the better cultures in the AFL.

Thank you for your embarrassing essay
Given your failure to back that up with anything, I take it I'm supposed to either reply with something witty and insulting like "how often do you have to feed that mouse in your pocket?" or else safely assume that yours is the response of someone who can't actually argue a point.

No mention of Sydney....in fact he mentions every club.
Problems with comprehension? My point is that the phrase "no dickheads policy" as commonly understood, was a coinage referring specifically to a policy reputedly in place at the Sydney Swans club.

I'm happy for someone to point out prior usages, but until then, its perfectly reasonable for me to have assumed that phrase in Echols' post referred specifically to the Swans; yours and Echols' assertions that I'm some sort of Swans-obsessed nutter are rubbish, and yours and his vociferous responses are completely OTT and frankly, excruciating to read. BF could be so much better.

Buddy Franklin taking out 4 parked cars......dick head.
This is a good point. What exactly is a dickhead? I have trouble getting that act very far along the dickhead continuum. (Disclaimer: Not the least because I myself totalled my dad's car the day I got my license.)

Here's my contribution:

Coward punches, biting, eye-gouging, sprigging, John Hopoate-style rectal insertion: dickhead

Dwarf igniting: dickhead

Doing anything on or off-field with the specific intent of self-glorification over the greater good of the team: dickhead

Sexual assault: dickhead

Causing innocent members of the public to interface with one's own faeces or other bodily output in what could only be considered a "harmless prank" were one a testosterone-charged, overpaid young male in the public gaze: dickhead

Practically every public disgrace committed by an NRL footballer in the last two decades: dickhead

Your club has dick heads like every other club, its not immune to it.
I already acknowledged this. Do try to keep up, dear boy.

So from the very start you're wrong. Read my post again. Then read it again. If that doesn't sink in, then read dipper86's post above.
I have dealt in the above reply to dipper86 with your continuing refusal or inability to grasp my point.

Still waiting for you to provide any examples of the "NDP" being used as a phrase referring to other clubs before it was used to refer to the Swans, or even examples of it being used since then, without any reference to its precedence as a Swans term.
Your entire self righteous spiel was spewed forth for no apparent reason other than you chose to view a comment about "all clubs" as relating strictly to Sydney.

Swans were never mentioned in my post, and although you clearly are incapable of seeing this, not everything relates to Sydney.

If you visited other boards you would see that quite a few posters suggest and believe that their team has a "no dickhead policy".

Again, this would rely on you coming to terms with Sydney not being the centre of the universe. Difficult, I know.
This is really going to sting, I know, and I apologise, but here goes:

The Hawks performance in the GF this year was simply sensational. Yes, we were pathetic, but that doesn't take away from the fact that we simply had no answer for a display like that, and in I fact I doubt any current team would.

It's also going to really sting to learn (and I will save you the trouble of going back through my posts to tell you), that I have frequently praised your club on BF. They are a hugely admirable club in pretty much every respect, on and off-filed.

It probably won't matter quite so much, but I have also praised other clubs.

Shocking to hear that coming from a Swans dickhead like me, I know, but I'm actually capable of giving credit where credit's due, and it would be nice if the compliment were repaid occasionally.

So, no, you're wrong, although I'm a Swans fan, I don't believe they're the centre of the universe.

Thanks guys, it's been stimulating, but I've got to go to work.

But the take-home message - if you don't want some painfully pedantic Swans fan "hijacking" every thread on the MB, just don't post unsupportable disparaging comments about my club.

Can't be that hard to grasp, surely?

I get why you say that, but North made the preliminaries in every year from 94-99. That's an incredible run of consistency and to be honest they were the best team in it in 1998 and should have taken that one home, too. For mine, that puts North above the Eagles, who were terrific from 90-94 but not consistently top-four through the decade.

Compare the two:

comparison_zpsfcfaf445.png

There's not very much difference between the two. In fact I'd be inclined to give it to West Coast based on that. Just.

Myth: I'm the second best poster on BigFooty.
Fact: I am actually #1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, you're pretty good, except you've spelt your username wrong. Surely 'Enigma' would be better?

It's been a problem for me for years. Everyone initially thinks my name is Enigma or Engimal. Engimal is actually a species of animal/vehicle hybrid from a book called Ancient Appetites that I read when I was like... 12. #funfacts

It's been a problem for me for years. Everyone initially thinks my name is Enigma or Engimal. Engimal is actually a species of animal/vehicle hybrid from a book called Ancient Appetites that I read when I was like... 12. #funfacts
Redo this post as a footy myth/fact statement, in line with the thread please.

Myth: 'Shinboner Spirit'
Fact: It's just a nice way of describing North Melbourne when they are a MOR team of battlers.

You never hear of it when they're consistently winning, either during the '90s or this year.

I'm sort of split about this. The Shinboner Spirit, in my opinion of course, is a way of saying that despite being a historically poor and small club, North has had reasonable success. As opposed to St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs who are in similar situations financially and in terms of membership, North has won 4 premierships. Small clubs will always be in a disadvantage. North was the last team to win a premiership while being outside the top 8 in terms of funds spent in the football department. In fact, North were bottom 4 in football department expenditure in 1999. While I don't believe the Shinboner Spirit exists in the sense that it's some supernatural thing that gets North over the line, I believe it exists in the sense that North are a club that has done pretty well for itself despite its position.

I'm sort of split about this. The Shinboner Spirit, in my opinion of course, is a way of saying that despite being a historically poor and small club, North has had reasonable success. As opposed to St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs who are in similar situations financially and in terms of membership, North has won 4 premierships. Small clubs will always be in a disadvantage. North was the last team to win a premiership while being outside the top 8 in terms of funds spent in the football department. In fact, North were bottom 4 in football department expenditure in 1999. While I don't believe the Shinboner Spirit exists in the sense that it's some supernatural thing that gets North over the line, I believe it exists in the sense that North are a club that has done pretty well for itself despite its position.

It just seems to be something that only gets mentioned when North are a struggling or MOR side, to conjure some noble battler image. Never heard it mentioned during the Carey era (even if the club wasn't financially flying at the same time), and as they've risen back into being a finals side of the past couple of years, the phrase hasn't been used much either.

Really seems like something that just defined the post-Carey, Dean Laidley era, when North were (for the most part) a team of good honest battlers who got wins through hard work, effort and playing together to a plan, rather than flash and skill.

It just seems to be something that only gets mentioned when North are a struggling or MOR side, to conjure some noble battler image. Never heard it mentioned during the Carey era (even if the club wasn't financially flying at the same time), and as they've risen back into being a finals side of the past couple of years, the phrase hasn't been used much either.

Really seems like something that just defined the post-Carey, Dean Laidley era, when North were (for the most part) a team of good honest battlers who got wins through hard work, effort and playing together to a plan, rather than flash and skill.

It definitely was mentioned a lot in the Laidely era, for sure. In 2007 when we were top 4, there were so many average footballers in our side that just tried really hard. On the player's skills, North shouldn't have been top 4 but the determination they played with got us there. Package that with North being in a shithole financially and you've got the 'Shinboner Spirit' all over the media.

It definitely was mentioned a lot in the Laidely era, for sure. In 2007 when we were top 4, there were so many average footballers in our side that just tried really hard. On the player's skills, North shouldn't have been top 4 but the determination they played with got us there. Package that with North being in a shithole financially and you've got the 'Shinboner Spirit' all over the media.

That North Melbourne Best 22 from 2007 (based on these numbers):

B: Glenn Archer - Shannon Watt - Michael Firrito
HB: Daniel Pratt - Josh Gibson - Jesse Smith
C: Daniel Wells - Adam Simpson - Jess Sinclair
HF: Shannon Grant - Leigh Brown - Brent Harvey
F: Corey Jones - Drew Petrie - Aaron Edwards
R: Hamish McIntosh - Brady Rawlings - Daniel Harris
I: David Hale - Andrew Swallow - Scott McMahon - Casey Green
E: Eddie Sansbury - Lindsay Thomas - Matt Campbell

Petrie and Brown spent a bit of time down back that season too.

Such an honest, hard-working side.

That North Melbourne Best 22 from 2007 (based on these numbers):

B: Glenn Archer - Shannon Watt - Michael Firrito
HB: Daniel Pratt - Josh Gibson - Jesse Smith
C: Daniel Wells - Adam Simpson - Jess Sinclair
HF: Shannon Grant - Leigh Brown - Brent Harvey
F: Corey Jones - Drew Petrie - Aaron Edwards
R: Hamish McIntosh - Brady Rawlings - Daniel Harris
I: David Hale - Andrew Swallow - Scott McMahon - Casey Green
E: Eddie Sansbury - Lindsay Thomas - Matt Campbell

Petrie and Brown spent a bit of time down back that season too.

Such an honest, hard-working side.
Still can't quite figure out how we didn't jag a flag with this lot.

Woah I literally just realised your name isn't Enigmal.

Nice

In reality WC NM and Adelaide are all on top equally

Carey and the prelims
Eagles midfield and half back line
Adelaide b2b

Outside of the two Premierships, Adelaide's finals record (just three finals series) and win/loss ratio (101-106, 48.79%) wouldn't stack up. Never won a minor premiership, and they only finished as high as 4th once after the H&A season. I'd rate a club like Essendon higher TBH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back