For those 30+: What would you do differently?

Remove this Banner Ad

do you older bros regret not having fun or not working hard more?

i'm doing basically 60 hours of uni a week (only first year, too), and not really having much time for leisure. not going out a whole lot, been surfing once since march. but, i'm ok with it because i seem to get a lot more satisfaction from feeling that i've really done my best in my studies than getting home at 3am 2-3 nights a week.

60 hrs a week first year? Is that a typo?

60 hours of uni a week? You must be doing medicine.

For my commerce degree I did nowhere near that, most semesters I had a day or two off a week with no tutes or lectures and most of my studying was crammed in during swot vac and in between exams.

strongly disagree. i can't stomach kerouac's writing style.
truman capote said it best- "he's typing, not writing"
Fair enough, I can see how he wouldn't be to everybody's taste. Truman Capote was a childhood friend of Harper Lee and Dill in TKAM is said to be based on him. What would be your required reading?

Fair enough, I can see how he wouldn't be to everybody's taste. Truman Capote was a childhood friend of Harper Lee and Dill in TKAM is said to be based on him. What would be your required reading?

well no one should go through their life without reading 1984. but i'd have to say my attitude towards life in general improved after reading AB facey's 'a fortunate life'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

well, probably closer to 45-50 on average. but 60 last week. and i've probably had 5 weeks like that this year.

Haha almost had me fooled there. Obviously meant 60 minutes a week, with 2 contact hours.

No one, and I mean no one, does 60 hours of uni in first year - unless its at the tavern

Haha almost had me fooled there. Obviously meant 60 minutes a week, with 2 contact hours.

No one, and I mean no one, does 60 hours of uni in first year - unless its at the tavern

It could be because........

hqdefault.jpg

I had a pretty full on schedule in my first semester of uni. Probably 25+ contact hours a week spread over 5 days with gaps in between forcing me to be there (ie lecture 8-10 then lecture 3-5, so hardly worth driving the then 45 min home each way) but I reckon on the weeks I attended every class I spent no more than 30-35 hours most weeks doing uni related stuff. Plenty of hours spent drinking $8 jugs at Curtin tav and playing pool etc., mind.

I had a pretty full on schedule in my first semester of uni. Probably 25+ contact hours a week spread over 5 days with gaps in between forcing me to be there (ie lecture 8-10 then lecture 3-5, so hardly worth driving the then 45 min home each way) but I reckon on the weeks I attended every class I spent no more than 30-35 hours most weeks doing uni related stuff. Plenty of hours spent drinking $8 jugs at Curtin tav and playing pool etc., mind.

Woah what are you studying, like a triple degree in medicine, law and architecture?

25 contact hours isn't that much - unless you're doing a marketing degree.

Basic CBS degrees were 12 contact hours a week IIRC. Most other things are upwards from there.
I'd guess most of my semesters were about 20 contact hours a week.
Yeah, in all honesty when things got serious in the later years of uni I treated it like a fulltime job. Contact hours might not be huge but that doesn't tell you anything about study requirements etc. I was at uni 9-5 Monday to Friday cos I just couldn't study at home. Too many procrastination temptations and not enough birds to perv on.

I would've spent less time 'studying' during my uni days in hindsight.

Not less time actually doing useful work as I kept that to a minimum really but less time guilting myself into thinking I needed to be studying when I could've easily spent more time kicking the footy or daytime drinking or whatever. Sitting around at home with the laptop open procrastinating playing Freecell and wandering to and from the fridge hoping something had materialised within between visits etc. is a pointless use of time. If you're not actually focused on something productive you're better off giving it a rest.

I'm not denying that they can make you feel good, I actually tried to start a general clothing/fashion thread on this site. But, what you're saying that no one can feel good without buying the clothes they like. That's a pathetic sentiment, would you really tell that to someone in real life?
Nah nah, not at all, I'm just saying there's an added benefit of wearing something you like – like the feeling I would've had if Mundy had've kicked it on Saturday. It's a validating feeling, self-confidence, just a feeling that makes life good. I wasn't saying clothes are the pre-requisite to the necessary level of happiness, just a way to get beyond it. I don't drive cars, I don't like fishing, so I spend my money on clothes because I like them and they make me feel good. I think we're on the same page, it just go a bit minced.

I've rarely worked hard in my life. Nobody on their deathbed wishes they worked more. I've many regrets, overworking is not one of them.
This is exactly it!

yeah i reckon you'd be the expert on how much time I spend at university.

I've rarely worked hard in my life. Nobody on their deathbed wishes they worked more. I've many regrets, overworking is not one of them.
it's not 'hard work' that I'm talking about. Doing your best at something and really immersing yourself in that experience. that's what i'm trying to get at. the feeling that you derive from pushing yourself, learning about yourself, improving yourself. I'm afarid of looking back and thinking that i'd been too lazy to experience the heights of which my mind may have been capable.

I'd study medicine instead of law. Damn family "advice".

family offer the worst advice. at least mine does.

yeah i reckon you'd be the expert on how much time I spend at university.

it's not 'hard work' that I'm talking about. Doing your best at something and really immersing yourself in that experience. that's what i'm trying to get at. the feeling that you derive from pushing yourself, learning about yourself, improving yourself. I'm afarid of looking back and thinking that i'd been too lazy to experience the heights of which my mind may have been capable.

if you're passionate about what you're studying then you're very luck and immerse yourself in it all you like. but even russel crowe's character in "A Beautiful Mind" made time for sinking piss and chashing girls.

as a wise pop star once said, you only yolo once.

I'd study medicine instead of law. Damn family "advice".

For all their faults this is one thing the US get half right. Now there higher education system is probably just as stuffed where they churn out too many graduates and have a stuffed job market but it is culturally the done thing to move interstate (for college) as soon as you hit 18. That way their youth are able to live life on their own terms and view the world through independent eyes rather than have a biased view rammed down their throat. Part of the reason innovation thrives there while Australians are too busy lecturing and bemoaning their youth.

(I realise the USA is completely buggered in many ways and Australia for the majority is the better place to live imo but you can't deny US innovation).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back