Delisted Former CEO Xavier Campbell - Resigned - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

All these nuffies were very happy with where the club was at 8 weeks ago.

Some rough results - during a rebuild - and they want to burn the joint down and start again.

What happens come Round 15 when we’re battling again? Burn it all down and have another crack?

Then do again after the season?

Of course you review where you’re at each season etc but seriously… supporters are emotional idiots and shouldn’t be listened to.

It's an interesting point.. just about everything in footy is all driven by emotion, and comparison too. In a way, it's almost coming back to bite us by overachieving so rapidly last year.

Still probably warrants an EXTERNAL review though. Why not? If it's all good I'm comfortable with that. But what's the harm?

It's an interesting point.. just about everything in footy is all driven by emotion, and comparison too. In a way, it's almost coming back to bite us by overachieving so rapidly last year.

Still probably warrants an EXTERNAL review though. Why not? If it's all good I'm comfortable with that. But what's the harm?

what's the harm he says... remember the magical interim report?

Will say this on the timing

AFL CEO is about to be replaced and he's extended with us
Reports re: behaviours and his impact on the workplace culture
Timing of the Nova Peris thing was planned for max impact

Sheen worn off a bit perhaps? And are we his life raft?

Who's gonna do it and who's to say they know what we need to do anyway? It'll just be more people with their own ideas and biases.

We got Neil Craig and Worsfold in because we wanted calm, experienced, steady hands after going through a five year *in tornado.

We got Dan Richardson in who'd overseen the creation of major success at Richmond under Gale (Balme was just brought in as a name later to appease their own FOCUS ON FOOTY nuffies from a board challenge).

We brought in Rutten who was part of major success at Richmond. We brought across Caracella into a key role, he's been part of Collingwood, Geelong and Richmond successful eras.

We wanted an upgrade on Richardson and brought in Josh Mahoney, who spent a decade guiding footy at Melbourne, the biggest, decades-long basket case in football history. They won a flag ffs!

We've brought across Giansiracusa, a premiership assistant at the Bulldogs. We've got Leigh Tudor who's been at Geelong, St Kilda and Sydney during Grand Final and premiership eras.

Now we need to bring in external people to question what they're all doing? We're not an internal, inward-looking football program, we're full of people from outside Essendon who have seen and produced success all over the place.

We need to give them what they need - which tbh, I think we are - and let them go to work. It's a rebuild, they're bumpy... shitting the bed and ordering they get reviewed by some random outsider because we've had a poor couple of months isn't the answer, imho.

Who's gonna do it and who's to say they know what we need to do anyway? It'll just be more people with their own ideas and biases.

We got Neil Craig and Worsfold in because we wanted calm, experienced, steady hands after going through a five year duckin tornado.

We got Dan Richardson in who'd overseen the creation of major success at Richmond under Gale (Balme was just brought in as a name later to appease their own FOCUS ON FOOTY nuffies from a board challenge).

We brought in Rutten who was part of major success at Richmond. We brought across Caracella into a key role, he's been part of Collingwood, Geelong and Richmond successful eras.

We wanted an upgrade on Richardson and brought in Josh Mahoney, who spent a decade guiding footy at Melbourne, the biggest, decades-long basket case in football history. They won a flag ffs!

We've brought across Giansiracusa, a premiership assistant at the Bulldogs. We've got Leigh Tudor who's been at Geelong, St Kilda and Sydney during Grand Final and premiership eras.

Now we need to bring in external people to question what they're all doing? We're not an internal, inward-looking football program, we're full of people from outside Essendon who have seen and produced success all over the place.

We need to give them what they need - which tbh, I think we are - and let them go to work. It's a rebuild, they're bumpy... shitting the bed and ordering they get reviewed by some random outsider because we've had a poor couple of months isn't the answer, imho.
Should've stuck fat with Thompson, McCartney, Weaps, Dank and co then.

There is a lot of that happening.

Many have wanted an external review for years and Xavier's extension has clearly been a trigger point.

Myself, I'd like an external review and am completely fine if it recommends everything is great. I believe we need to get to a point in this industry where having an external review is periodic and not only when things aren't going well on-field.

My work goes under external scrutiny yearly and I welcome it. Continual growth and improvement is a healthy thing.
I am very sceptical re the external review….

1. The independence of those conducting them is questionable. Do they really want to bite the hand that feeds them?
2. Brasher is essentially the doyen of the Australian management consulting industry. There is literally nobody in Australia better qualified than he to manipulate an outcome.

I simply cannot envisage any review, internal or external, delivering the findings that we suspect would be the reality of how EFC is run.

1. The independence of those conducting them is questionable. Do they really want to bite the hand that feeds them?
2. Brasher is essentially the doyen of the Australian management consulting industry. There is literally nobody in Australia better qualified than he to manipulate an outcome.

I simply cannot envisage any review, internal or external, delivering the findings that we suspect would be the reality of how EFC is run.
To get to the point I would like it would need to be a professional company that reviews all kinds of organisations, with employees/contractors that have expertise in the given areas. In this case, something like PWC or the like with a sports division that hire ex football mangers, coaches, sports scientists etc. Football clubs would have written into their constitutions that a percentage of all membership revenue is set aside to fund these matters either on a periodic basis or by a trigger point of some description, ensuring the provider of the review process and report knows the client is not the club, president or CEO, but it's members.

In this instance if it was a one-off, I respect people like Dunstall, Matthews, Roos to provide a thorough review without fear, but of course you cannot stop corruption by those at the top without a revolution, or in this case a rival ticket. I'm not advocating for any major long-term disruption at this juncture as I think we need to give Rutten time to paint the list and gameplan to his vision. While you could consider an external review a major disruption due to media circus, it's short term and beneficial even if we are on the right path and this season is cooked anyway.

people just don’t like him because he isn’t “blue-collar”
But he is....

DSWr-hCV4AEVav-.jpg

We got Neil Craig and Worsfold in because we wanted calm, experienced, steady hands after going through a five year duckin tornado.

agree
particularly the last part. maybe Parker becomes our line in the sand, 237 (or whatever that score was), focus on footy challenge.

external review would just be a box ticker.

All these nuffies were very happy with where the club was at 8 weeks ago.

Some rough results - during a rebuild - and they want to burn the joint down and start again.

What happens come Round 15 when we’re battling again? Burn it all down and have another crack?

Then do again after the season?

Of course you review where you’re at each season etc but seriously… supporters are emotional idiots and shouldn’t be listened to.
Its not a we got smashed sack the coach letter. it's about the extension. As much as they waffle the 'HR issue' has made the headlines.

Assuming they aren't making it up - if it's happened then they are entitled to ask about it and the boards intitial Campbell CEO appointment (the board lead by little - Brasher governance at the time I think). And recent process in extending him as the leading exec at the club. In fact that's an absolute no brainer to he asked.

Last edited:
Will say this on the timing

AFL CEO is about to be replaced and he's extended with us
Reports re: behaviours and his impact on the workplace culture
Timing of the Nova Peris thing was planned for max impact

Sheen worn off a bit perhaps? And are we his life raft?
He’s never been in the running for afl ceo since he decided to stay a couple years back.

An external audit is far from a silver bullet but it is far more likely to get to the heart of the problem than an internal one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An external audit is far from a silver bullet but it is far more likely to get to the heart of the problem than an internal one.
I have seen many of them up close and it really depends on what the client wants.

If they want full and frank feedback then that is what they will get. If they want a pre-determined outcome then that is what will happen.

Ultimately the firm that runs the consultation will seek to avoid creating controversy for the individual or form that engages them.

In our situation it would be a waste of time and money. Supporter action is the best pathway to change (if you think change is needed).

To get to the point I would like it would need to be a professional company that reviews all kinds of organisations, with employees/contractors that have expertise in the given areas. In this case, something like PWC or the like with a sports division that hire ex football mangers, coaches, sports scientists etc. Football clubs would have written into their constitutions that a percentage of all membership revenue is set aside to fund these matters either on a periodic basis or by a trigger point of some description, ensuring the provider of the review process and report knows the client is not the club, president or CEO, but it's members.

In this instance if it was a one-off, I respect people like Dunstall, Matthews, Roos to provide a thorough review without fear, but of course you cannot stop corruption by those at the top without a revolution, or in this case a rival ticket. I'm not advocating for any major long-term disruption at this juncture as I think we need to give Rutten time to paint the list and gameplan to his vision. While you could consider an external review a major disruption due to media circus, it's short term and beneficial even if we are on the right path and this season is cooked anyway.
Reckon PwC might have a slight conflict in this case :)

I know what your saying…I just don’t believe it’s really possible. Perhaps I am overly cynical.

Reckon PwC might have a slight conflict in this case :)

I know what your saying…I just don’t believe it’s really possible. Perhaps I am overly cynical.
Hahaha yeah I did cringe a little saying PwC.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your cynicism. Many external reviews can be pointless, but it can be done properly. I've seen first hand that it can. But it would require that constitutional change and funding by the members for the members for it to be more beneficial. None of this is possible in the immediate term however, just where I'd like things to progress to in the industry. External reviews periodically as a means to ensure best practice and not considered a bad thing or a box ticking exercise.

In the immediate term I'd still like an external review to happen, but I'm also cynical enough to know it could be box ticking.

Last edited:
Do we have any inking of what the allegations are?

Am I correct in saying the club has been silent on his reappointment, the Xmas party allegations and the Nova Peris matter?
I read an article on Blitz from the Australian apparently (easy to miss Australian articles in my world!).

Apart from it saying everything was resolved to satisfaction and all the board members knew (and current board members) that was about it.

Interestingly it said "involving women" suggesting plural?

I couldn't care less who does a review, I could care a bit more about what it says.

I just care about what positive benefit the review has on our football club

Think it was Malcom Blight who has always critical of external reviews. They could do one. I would not be anti review but the last one we did ended up being used to hang us so maybe they are a bit gun shy .

I couldn't care less who does a review, I could care a bit more about what it says.

I just care about what positive benefit the review has on our football club
Well my point is I think it’s unlikely to have any benefit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back