Delisted Former CEO Xavier Campbell - Resigned - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Think it was Malcom Blight who has always critical of external reviews. They could do one. I would not be anti review but the last one we did ended up being used to hang us so maybe they are a bit gun shy .
Well that and they ignored half the recommendations lol so what was the point

Xavier being reappointed as CEO is unimportant - At the end of the days it's up to the players to perform better - The club has run through enough coaches/fitness staff etc with the same results.

Xavier being reappointed as CEO is unimportant - At the end of the days it's up to the players to perform better - The club has run through enough coaches/fitness staff etc with the same results.
Run through plenty of players with same results as well. Dodo and X are the common denominators over last ten years. Dodo more than that.

Organisational leadership is actually a thing….it does actually matter.

About rumblings I think …

LOL @ the side swipe at North

No doubt Campbell has made some wrong turns in his eight years where Essendon’s football fortunes are concerned. He has not managed to oversee the absolute healing of the scars from 2012. But from this angle, the media and other public vitriol poured this week upon the club seems disproportionate.

In part this comes from the high-profile Bombers working in football commentary roles and in part it goes with the territory at a club of Essendon’s size and the nature of its passionate supporter base. If only North Melbourne could command such fervour.

The Caro article reads like it was drafted by the EFC PR team…how times have changed.

This far we have radio silence on:
1) The two year contract extension
2) The HR allegations
3) The Nova Peris allegations

Have heard Brasher planning to address members, potentially today.

Brasher is probably trying to stockpile news on young players re-signing before he talks to members.

The Caro article reads like it was drafted by the EFC PR team…how times have changed.

This far we have radio silence on:
1) The two year contract extension
2) The HR allegations
3) The Nova Peris allegations

Have heard Brasher planning to address members, potentially today.
Why else do you think she's been soft on us lately? Club has her on the in these days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$850k a year?

Now I am quite sure there have been real queries about his actual performance with things like sponsorship deals.

The side is rubbish and we're living through the consequences of botched coaching set ups he was responsible for.

I would be stunned if a CEO of a company with turnover the size of Essendon and which isn't an imbecilic sporting organisation gets paid this much.

In any event, what are we paying for and how much does it cost to get someone good?

According to some on here - football club CEO. Salary depends on if you want the football AND marketing CEO package or just marketing.

Either In way in terms of CEO positions they aren't really proper CEO roles anyway. There's not many real businesses that would turnover what Essendon does and put someone with Campbell's experience in charge. The sheer amount of money going around combined with the nuffie nature of football clubs sees this sort of outcome.

Last edited:

$850k a year?

Now I am quite sure there have been real queries about his actual performance with things like sponsorship deals.

The side is rubbish and we're living through the consequences of botched coaching set ups he was responsible for.

I would be stunned if a CEO of a company with turnover the size of Essendon and which isn't an imbecilic sporting organisation gets paid this much.

In any event, what are we paying for and how much does it cost to get someone good?
I don’t know anything about CEO salaries but the end of that article laying it all at the feet of the coaches and the players is interesting.

When you have the same problems with every regime since 2005, and an external review comes through in 2013 and the next CEO you hire ignores the findings and delivers the same sort of results for another decade…

Surely you look further up the tree at the structure of the department, hiring processes and goodness of fit in a candidate (beyond the basic KPIs of the job), and support available in terms of how the soft cap is managed?

Maybe we need less career climbing expensive assistants working with a line they have no expertise in, and instead look for people who are willing to use their expertise in-field for a reasonable wage and allow us to bring in maybe a dedicated stoppages coach? Or some more wellbeing staff? Maybe invest a bit more in the fitness department?

I’m not convinced the coaches are there for anything more altruistic than a pay cheque and personal advancement at this stage, and if that is the case you can hardly expect more of the players than the example set by the coaches (and by extension, management who values those traits and hires for it).

$850k a year?

Been pondering this too….

If his responsibilities include football then he should be sacked but a mate of mine who is expert in this field described $850k as “wildly over the odds.” Suggested no AFL CEO should be on more than $500k.

If his responsibilities don’t include football then we are paying an astronomical figure for a glorified GM Commercial.

The club are literally taking the piss right now. We don’t even know what his responsibilities are….

Not to mention we still have:
1) No official announcement re his contract extension
2) No response as to Nova Peris allegations
3) No response re HR issues

Have never seen a club treat it’s members with this level of disdain.

Been pondering this too….

If his responsibilities include football then he should be sacked but a mate of mine who is expert in this field described $850k as “wildly over the odds.” Suggested no AFL CEO should be on more than $500k.

If his responsibilities don’t include football then we are paying an astronomical figure for a glorified GM Commercial.

The club are literally taking the piss right now. We don’t even know what his responsibilities are….

Not to mention we still have:
1) No official announcement re his contract extension
2) No response as to Nova Peris allegations
3) No response re HR issues

Have never seen a club treat it’s members with this level of disdain.

I know of companies with turnover more than twice that of Essendon whose CEOs would be on half give or take.

I've actually been told $300 ish for one of them.

$850k is an absurd amount money to pay this clown who presides over a business which is a complete failure at delivering its core product.

It's the staggering thing about these guys, to even ask for the money. Where is your self-awareness or humility.

As for the board which approved this? I really wonder whether its just USA politics and everyone is in this to pilfer to one degree or another.

May 2018 seems to be the last time we got an update on the executive team:

Essendon Football Club Executive Team:
Chief Executive Officer – Xavier Campbell
Chief Commercial Officer – Justin Rodski
Chief Strategy Officer – Brenton Humphreys
General Manager Community, Academies and Women’s Football Development – Darren Harris
General Manager People and Culture – Lisa Lawry
General Manager Corporate Services – Chris Pehlivanis
General Manager of Football – Dan Richardson
General Manager The Long Walk and Indigenous Affairs – Leanne Brooke
General Manager List and Recruiting – Adrian Dodoro

Club Statement: Administration changes

Rodski is now the CEO over at Melbourne Storm
Pehlivanis is now the CEO at Western United (who currently share our training facilities)
Harris went across to Western United as well, still a GM
Richardson is now head of umpiring at the AFL
Lawry is the new GM Umpiring with Richardson reporting to her as of this week

Campbell, Humphreys, Brooke and Dodoro seem to be the only ones left. Not that turnover is unusual, especially during the pandemic.

Ryan Larkin is our Chief Communications and Marketing Officer as of a year ago, he came from Melbourne where he'd been a GM for 15 years.

Nick Ryan is Chief Commercial Officer now <- seems to have happened quietly but I think he was Rodski's understudy for a while, so not really a left field appointment. He's quoted in this article from January this year, so will take that as confirmation:

Mahoney is GM of Football obviously. About the only one that is well known.

Who else is on the executive now? Or does XC have to do most of the GMing himself?

I know of companies with turnover more than twice that of Essendon whose CEOs would be on half give or take.

I've actually been told $300 ish for one of them.

$850k is an absurd amount money to pay this clown who presides over a business which is a complete failure at delivering its core product.

It's the staggering thing about these guys, to even ask for the money. Where is your self-awareness or humility.

As for the board which approved this? I really wonder whether its just USA politics and everyone is in this to pilfer to one degree or another.
I worked in companies with approximately 10 times the revenue of EFC and CEO remuneration was c.1 million. I now work in State Gov for a department that employs c.700 staff and our executive leader is capped at $720k.

It’s a joke. We are being taken for fools.

May 2018 seems to be the last time we got an update on the executive team:

Essendon Football Club Executive Team:
Chief Executive Officer – Xavier Campbell
Chief Commercial Officer – Justin Rodski
Chief Strategy Officer – Brenton Humphreys
General Manager Community, Academies and Women’s Football Development – Darren Harris
General Manager People and Culture – Lisa Lawry
General Manager Corporate Services – Chris Pehlivanis
General Manager of Football – Dan Richardson
General Manager The Long Walk and Indigenous Affairs – Leanne Brooke
General Manager List and Recruiting – Adrian Dodoro

Club Statement: Administration changes

Rodski is now the CEO over at Melbourne Storm
Pehlivanis is now the CEO at Western United (who currently share our training facilities)
Harris went across to Western United as well, still a GM
Richardson is now head of umpiring at the AFL
Lawry is the new GM Umpiring with Richardson reporting to her as of this week

Campbell, Humphreys, Brooke and Dodoro seem to be the only ones left. Not that turnover is unusual, especially during the pandemic.

Ryan Larkin is our Chief Communications and Marketing Officer as of a year ago, he came from Melbourne where he'd been a GM for 15 years.

Nick Ryan is Chief Commercial Officer now <- seems to have happened quietly but I think he was Rodski's understudy for a while, so not really a left field appointment. He's quoted in this article from January this year, so will take that as confirmation:

Mahoney is GM of Football obviously. About the only one that is well known.

Who else is on the executive now? Or does XC have to do most of the GMing himself?
This all used to be available on the website…..transparency has diminished over the last few years.

There is one boys club bigger than EFC…the Old Xavs/AFL club. Good to see Dillon look after his old mate Richardson with a gig at head office 🤪

This all used to be available on the website…..transparency has diminished over the last few years.

There is one boys club bigger than EFC…the Old Xavs/AFL club. Good to see Dillon look after his old mate Richardson with a gig at head office 🤪
I have a link in my favourites somewhere that has the wayback machine to the old staff listing 🤣 it's more and more useless these days

Have you read the book 'Boys Club' by Mick Warner? Cripes/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back